Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Collision Detection?

This is the mechanic I'm hoping for most of all. Given the siege system being discussed at the moment, and the large breadth of the cities themselves, I feel this would be a massive draw to playing the tank class in PvP. This was one of the few things Warhammer Age of Reckoning got right. A set of healers and tanks could plug a hole and hold the line to great effect. Hard hitting nukers could focus said line and try to bust it. This kept the balance and incentivized team work.

The one fear would be server performance. Given the game is running a modified UE4, the optimizations would largely dictate the viability of this mechanic. PvP and combat in general though feels so ephemeral when you can simply run through opponents and monsters.

Comments

• Options
    Yes please, thank you.
  • Options
    yeah this was one of the things that I disliked about BDO's combat was that you could simply skill attack through people.

It made sense for sorceress or Witch/wizard to do when they were using a teleport skill or maybe certain dodge rolls but too many attack skills allowed you to simply phase through mobs.... that being said twirling your scythe around as a Sorc and mowing down mobs as you go is EXTREMELY satisfying.
  • Options
    [quote quote=13567] This was one of the few things Warhammer Age of Reckoning got right.
    [/quote]

If the game could handle it well, it would add a lot to siege combat in terms of strategy and tactics.
  • Options
    From the looks so far, as seen from certain abilities of the "mage" class creating a magical barrier in front of him, the game will certainly have collision detection. This in itself is fascinating to me because of the amount of tactical possiblities one can imagine in a battle-state scenario. Not to mention the fact that it gives you a surreal feeling of being totally immersed in your high-fantasy world. I think that another way for the player to feel immersed in your world is if the world bosses or dungeon bosses had collision detection and perhaps even collision triggered animations. For examples; Boss/Player knock-back collision effect, perhaps in a cone-size based on tier of boss and/or ability of player class. Boss upheaval effect.  (the ground upheaves itself in an attempt to disarray its opponent(s).
    Strength roll for tanks to withstand a blast or smash and perhaps just a "shrug" animation and continue fighting. 
    Boss collision, "breakthrough" animation... For example a boss smashing through that glassy wall of theirs? >:)
    Maybe a boss charge,  then collision detection mechanics?
    Comments? ...Devs? ...🔑? ;)
  • Options
  • Options
    I miss proper collision where a group of tanks could block off a chokehold  :( im glad AoC will have it :smile:

• Options
    This will make for some excellent game play
  • Options
    The collision will certainly add to the realism as long as they have some good anti-griefing measures...I can still remember the tractor blockades in ArcheAge
  • Options
    Narys said:
    The collision will certainly add to the realism as long as they have some good anti-griefing measures...I can still remember the tractor blockades in ArcheAge
    We will have to see how it plays out in AoC. Looking forward to jumping in at Alpha 2 to check it all out and give feedback to the devs. (I have post tramatic stess from ArcheAge in SO many ways!  lol)  
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    They said that they are going to have a system of "soft" and "hard" collision. (speculation) Soft collision means that you can pass through people and mounts, maybe at a reduced rate. Hard collision kicks in when in a combat state and you cannot. They are well aware of the "creative" ways a certain sub-class of players like to grief others by parking huge mounts on mailboxes and other stuff. Wild West Online (haven't played, just watched streams and read their forums) has a similar issue at the moment, with players blocking other players at doorways to keep them from stopping bank robberies and other actions to break mechanics.
  • Options
    @Nerdengineering I have to agree that the stability is still a major concern for me. Yes, there is player collision and it opens up many tactics that can be used in pvp. But I get a feeling that UE4 is going to make server stability to be used as a weapon, if you can get enough casters to spam their spells in a small area.
  • Options
    They said that they are going to have a system of "soft" and "hard" collision. (speculation) Soft collision means that you can pass through people and mounts, maybe at a reduced rate. Hard collision kicks in when in a combat state and you cannot. They are well aware of the "creative" ways a certain sub-class of players like to grief others by parking huge mounts on mailboxes and other stuff. Wild West Online (haven't played, just watched streams and read their forums) has a similar issue at the moment, with players blocking other players at doorways to keep them from stopping bank robberies and other actions to break mechanics.
    Yea, I've seen games where collision detection just gets abused; e.g. blocking people in at towns just to grief.  A system where youre not in combat and its "soft" (e.g. say like UO where you could move past 1 person every few seconds when not in combat) probably is a good middle road.

I do otherwise approve of allowing point blockage for combat related strategy.

• Options
    I can see collision detection being annoying when trying to get into an inn if people stand in the doorway
  • Options
    Maybe. Getting to an NPC when 10 people are around already kinda sucks. Made worse when it was puposeful.
  • Options
    It will be fixed in testing. Once the large mounts are available I plan to park one at high traffic choke points like a bank door until they address the issue. Nothing like getting 4 or 5 people together and pinning a developer against a wall so they can't move in their own city to get a response.
  • Options
    It will be fixed in testing. Once the large mounts are available I plan to park one at high traffic choke points like a bank door until they address the issue. Nothing like getting 4 or 5 people together and pinning a developer against a wall so they can't move in their own city to get a response.
    ...haven't they confirmed "soft" collision in safe zones so this isn't possible? The same kind of collision system in BDO.
  • Options
    ...haven't they confirmed "soft" collision in safe zones so this isn't possible? The same kind of collision system in BDO.
    Nope, it is still unconfirmed. Probably they have a plan but haven't implemented it yet. It was my last livestream question. They answered the questions immediately before and after mine, so obviously that was one they didn't want to take. We know there is hard collision because you have it shown in the alpha gameplay video when they were messing around in the dungeon and Steven is trying to get by the other dev who is standing in a door and can't. Many systems and mechanics questions are not being answered and recurring "softballs" keep getting thrown their way. Most likely because integration of those "harder" question topics haven't made it to production yet. Early days, we should get some meaty info drops over the next couple weeks with GDC and PAX.