Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will there be Virtual Reality support?

With the coming of VR headsets and soon motion platforms such as the virtuix omni, have you guys thought about designing the game and combat to support VR gameplay?

is that in the cards anywhere?

I have an HTC Vive and as long as I’m able to move around I don’t have nausia/dizziness. Like I can pump my feet while moving forward and even that seems to partially alleviate the issue. While motion platforms are not quite out yet they are coming in the next year or so and will be out when AoC launches in 2018.

Many of us with VR headsets will be buying these motion platforms as soon as they are available as it opens up Many games for us to play with VR modded support such as Skyrim, fallout and any first person shooter.

So having VR support for an MMO would truly set this game apart from all other MMOs and would easily earn a $500 Kickstarter donation from me as this would be the only MMO out there that would allow me to play in native VR.

I ask that you guys please consider it.... I know any of us that can afford VR would be happy to support you.

Comments

• Please!!!!
  • They have said no, and there are several reasons for that. If you are looking for a VR MMO that is close to release, visit Orbus. The minecraft voxel based look is intentional, they just can't get a VR mmo to look good while supporting the massive multiplayer part of that statement. You might get shiny VR rpgs down the line, but nothing really massive multi. 
    I own a Rift and all the shinies. Everyone tried to cash grab by producing just absolute trash. Why do you think there are a ton of shooters that are under a two hour "experience". AAA developers are leaving after trying to cash in on converting already developed properties. EVE which was basically a showcase title just said "Cya, have fun, but we are out."  Even Zuckerberg has cooled on his latest toy.
  • Even monitor support for cardboard style VR would have been nice. Oh well.

• Screw VR, I want full Dive system!
  • Screw VR, we want Vulkan API support. \o/
  • VR wouldn't work in a 3rd person game, try Star Citizen.
  • Why wouldn't VR work, most MMOs allow the camera to go back and forth between over the shoulder and first person. And even from a kited pov, I don't see how it becomes a problem.
  • Here is a nice article that explains many of the reasons why developers are not even going to consider it. The costs involved for creating what would be a niche game would never be recoverable. Most people won't upgrade their potatoes and spend the money on their end that would make it a reality. And since making an mmo sustainable and profitable enough to keep the lights on is the goal, just isn't going to happen till you see the recommended steps taken on both sides that are mentioned at the end of the article.
    https://www.gameskinny.com/m49u9/whats-really-needed-to-make-vr-mmos-a-reality
  • Hmmm, guess I just haven't yet hit the speed bumps to show why the set up I have now wouldn't really pass muster for something like this. (and it's not as expensive as the article says it needs to be)
  • id love to see big mmo's investing in VR, would be great to play this from ur couch ;-)
    logically the VR gaming will stay a niche market when this never gets picked up by the big gaming title's, but its understandable that a new mmo that makes a lot of promises, wants to invest there budget in what they currently have in mind. its still a risk as long its not live to see if it will be a success or not.. 

it would be the responsability for bigger titles like WoW and such to invest in VR, since they have budget/profit enough to take the gamble. AoC logically as a new player not ;)
  • Gothix said:
    Since nagash is gone, the problem about VR is solved. Go on
  • god, cant a guy go on holiday for a week without people thinking he's dead. well more dead than normal in my cause 
  • Gothix said:
    Gothix have you ever heard of Mighty Mug? i guess not. check youtube reviews of it you will realise that your illustration is obsolete

I am also HTC Vive owner and very much interested in VR MMORPG. I understand that most of people have not had a chance to try virtual reality yet. However just as myself they all would be sold on it if they try it. 

The article link posted above was written during Oculus DK2 era so there are a lot of things that have changed. Yes I agree that there are still kinks to iron out and standards to implement. In my opinion any half decent player would've already own a PC that meets VR minimum/recommended requirements. Here are few important notes in relation to hardware

1. headset market is much larger we now have microsoft with Acer, HP, Lenovo, Samsung(HMD Odyssey) and Dell selling their own version of headsets not forgetting oculus rift and vive and psvr (although the latter is not 360 vr)

2. Headset prices vary from £300-600 for full set (controllers included)

3. you can buy VR ready gpu today for under £200

4. All motherboards today have usb 3.0 connections and if it doesn't you can get pci card that enables that at very low cost

5. headset sales in 2017 have tripled in comparison to 2016 sales (excluding cardboards and samsung gear vr or equivalent devices)

The very first VR MMORPG is out with early access version and it is called Orbus. considering that they have constantly over 150 players on the servers and over 1500 during peak times i would call it a good start. still not many people heard about them yet. 

Ashes of creation is just starting and it has a lot of potential however i just wish they make appropriate steps to open this game for VR users too in a year or so from today. Stephen Spielberg's movie Ready Player One is coming in few months and this would push VR higher into gamers priority lists. I have read the book and it is amazing
  • until yet i think i wont give a Vr Support but i also think that we are at the beginn of the game so there are a lot of Things we will get later maybe a vr Support  (would be nice)
  • It would be fun to have VR but the game won't be built around it that's for sure, it might be something they will work on in their spare time but the priority will probably pretty low.