Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cities 'build themselves'?

I'm absolutely fascinated with the node system. I love the idea that combined work can create a city... a metropolis even... that people will feel very protective of, and want to protect. It's encouraging teamwork, group play and people not being awful to each other in a very, very realistic way. That is AMAZING.

After watching all the videos, however, I am wondering if this means cities 'build themselves', ie: what ends up as the settlement or town or city or metropolis is essentially pre-built and as each stage 'levels up' the new buildings just appear, so that the city is attractive and cohesive and the longer term owners get pushed to the centre, etc. In other words, we don't really build the cities like we did in SWG or similar (where we could place each and every building), but simply we perform enough actions for them to appear ready-made?

Does that sound right?

It seems that there's more scope when it comes to blocks of land, outside of cities, and we can place different buildings, small crops, etc, but within cities -- again -- is it fair to say we have less control over what appears, and where it appears?

Comments

• Options
    This is what I gathered from what we have seen so far as well. But there are benefits to this such as really well crafted cities by the dev team. I really don't mind, the logistics of getting players to have design input into a city would be massive without the city potentially looking incoherent and silly.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm the same, actually. While I have known some people to be real whiz-kids with that sort of thing, I'd rather the focus is on doing the stuff that levels up the node, rather than end up with players with sub-optimal skills designing a huge city.

It's kinda why I ask the question because, in some ways, I really do think that's what I'd prefer... and I just want to see if that's how it happens. Meanwhile, I really <em>do</em> like the idea of having more control on the small blocks of land outside the cities.
  • Options
    well, in one of the last videos. a layer will be like the mayor of the citie and will get to plan out how the citie will be built, by taxing players and nps. The tax payers money will tell the mayor of rulling guild how much they can spend on improvements. No citie will be the same.

That is atleast the info iv gatherd. and its stated in the second video of the node system aswell that ashes of creation have on their youtube chanel.
    One thing they did not state is when will players start taking controll of a citie. in what stage of its development will you be able to impact its development
  • Options
    This is why I'd love a dev to dive in here... I mean, when you look at those metropolis nodes, do you really think a regular player would have the skill to build that kind of thing? Again, I've known people -- especially some SWG buddies -- who would have gone close, back in the day, but people like that are rare. So, would the game leave it up to a potentially underskilled player to layout something so large? That's why I'm pondering that players get to layout their small land holdings outside of the city (they're hard to mess up and don't really affect anyone else), but the planned out cities sort of come pre-packaged once criteria are met...?
  • Options
    It sounds like the city layout is made by the devs. Mayors can decide which buildings to build but not necessarily how they are placed so you aren't going to have people making really goofly looking cities. The closest thing to an exception is the free-holds but even they look like pre-made tiles that are placed in zones layed out by the devs.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how mayors are picked at this point? I imagine an election process where the majority of home owners in that given node vote for the said mayor?
  • Options
    [quote quote=17958]Does anyone know how mayors are picked at this point? I imagine an election process where the majority of home owners in that given node vote for the said mayor?

[/quote]

If by "mayor" you mean the highest-ranking leader of a node, I believe it depends on the type of node. From the Known Information doc:

<blockquote>How does someone become a mayor?
    The type of node will determine the form of the election: Election from citizens, election by gladiatorial, election by revenue, election by service. Currently considering elections to occur on a monthly system.
    </blockquote>

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they match up like this:
    Scientific: citizens (elected to rule)
    Militaristic: gladiatorial (win in the arena to rule, "you keep what you kill" idea)
    Economic: revenue (richest person rules)
    Divine: service (do tons of religion/node-related tasks to prove you're best to rule)

Edit: <a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/14luppZ3Ub8jmcw_aK65QWxYY4xa8qAo9zRfpYWBxOXE/edit#">Here is the doc</a>
  • Options
    I'd be really interested to see what else levels up along with the city. During a Q&A I heard the devs talk about player housing, and how it grows larger, and becomes more valuable as the node progresses; but is that it?

I mean like, let's say a particularly enterprising player decides to open up a cabbage cart and place it on a level one camp. After the node reaches its maximum level, will that cart have become a fully fledged brick and mortar store? Will they be able to supply the city, and all its NPC denizens with crisp, fresh cabbage? If so, can we straight up become real estate moguls in Ashes, buying plots of lands early on, waiting, and then selling them off to players interested in purchasing property in the city?

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    The cart will just be a cart.

The node has to be Stage 3 Village.
    Then you have to become a citizen.
    Then you have to purchase/acquire a home.
    That home will become brick and mortar and possibly a mansion.

A character can only have one apt, one house and one Freehold.
  • Options
    Now I wander to NPC take part in the building and deffense or are they along for the ride.