Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Race "style" crafting

One of the coolest features of Vanguard, although it wasn't nearly as engaged as it could have been, was each race had their own "flare" and appearance on crafted items. Is it forseen that this will occur as well in AoC?

Comments

• Options
    I'd prefer to be able to design things to what I see fit, instead of whatever my characters race happens to be. Which I believe is the case.
  • Options
    ESO does this extremely well. As long as you have the knowledge and the mats, you can craft in one of 45+ different styles. You can also mix and match pieces to customize your character's look between seven visible armor pieces and your weapon(s).
  • Options
    yah i think they would implement that because they said that they'll make forging/smithing more interesting
  • Options
    perhaps like if you had the mats, you could commission another race to make your style of armor but it adds a small racial effect to the piece. Small stat bonus or added durability or special appearance effect. Dwarf makes a elf chest piece but has extra resilience to durability loss. example
  • Options
    [quote quote=14631]ESO does this extremely well. As long as you have the knowledge and the mats, you can craft in one of 45+ different styles. You can also mix and match pieces to customize your character’s look between seven visible armor pieces and your weapon(s).

[/quote]

+1 I hope we get something like that, would be cool if the knowledge for the recipes was hard to find in the world so treasure hunters are a thing or something similar
  • Options
    [quote quote=15335]
    +1 I hope we get something like that, would be cool if the knowledge for the recipes was hard to find in the world so treasure hunters are a thing or something similar
    [/quote]
    Ah the dream, like ESO just much much harder to get the actual knowledge. At the beginning of ESO it seemed impossible for everyone to have all the styles, but soon it seemed like you could craft without them all :/ Their idea was solid, but a little flawed, you never had to look for a master of one style, cause everyone can do almost all of them.
    I love adventuring in games, just looking for fun things basicly. Having minor very rare things to look for would certainly be fun.
  • Options
    I think it would be a great idea to add a style option to crafting. Maybe make researching other races culture to learn new styles as well, and even religious styles.
  • Options
    I don't know, i think that adding a style based on the race on a visual/graphic level on the items would need a LOT of work, maybe this could be added later on, i think for now i might be happy with stats improved by the crafters race
  • Options
    [quote quote=15393]<blockquote>
    <div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/race-style-crafting/#post-15335" rel="nofollow">Zagan wrote:</a></div>

</blockquote>
    Ah the dream, like ESO just much much harder to get the actual knowledge. At the beginning of ESO it seemed impossible for everyone to have all the styles, but soon it seemed like you could craft without them all :/ Their idea was solid, but a little flawed, you never had to look for a master of one style, cause everyone can do almost all of them.
    I love adventuring in games, just looking for fun things basicly. Having minor very rare things to look for would certainly be fun.
    [/quote]

This hasn't been the case in a long time because there are now dozens of styles, not just the 15 that were available at launch. Almost all of the styles in the past year or two come in 14 parts with each slot representing a different book (e.g. chest, feet, sword, dagger, etc.). You need to collect all 14 parts to be able to craft every slot in that new style. Also, only specific activities will give you a chance at getting specific style books. For example, Style 41 is only available from boss drops in raids, Style 42 is only available from world bosses, Style 43 is only available during PVP (random examples).

Also, some styles can only be learned during short-term seasonal events (e.g. Halloween), so trying to buy your missing pieces after will either cost a fortune or you'll have to wait a year until that seasonal event returns to have another shot at it.

Folks who are master crafters will have dozens of styles learned completely and are able to create custom sets for others. I know 39 of the 45 styles, so I have a ways to go yet. :)
  • Options
    But, I would still like to see some "augments" that are only available to a crafter if they have both the cultural knowledge and are a native of that culture or race.
  • Options
    [quote quote=15335]<blockquote>
    <div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/race-style-crafting/#post-14631" rel="nofollow">Organic wrote:</a></div>
    ESO does this extremely well. As long as you have the knowledge and the mats, you can craft in one of 45+ different styles. You can also mix and match pieces to customize your character’s look between seven visible armor pieces and your weapon(s).

</blockquote>

[/quote]

Agreed. I think ESO did this well. I also liked the fact that styles were learned through books that can be gained through drops from mobs, or found in buildings. If they brought back the D&D style plus system, it would be cool, and satiate my D&D sensibilities.
  • Options
    Gosh, there is so much to think about (not to mention so much work we're creating to suggest the devs to do :)

Regionality, racial, and even local influence across all types of crafting would be awesome.

It might be a nightmare on the art side, because so many assets are needed... but then you get into the "power" of the item.

If we use the standard trope as an example - elves are well known for their capabilities with a bow / arrow - it would stand to reason that bows made in the elven style, by elven bowmakers would be the "best" bows. But if we do that, then that bow becomes the only viable choice for a min/maxer who uses bows.

Does this mean a human that learns the elven style can never truly achieve that very highest level of elven bow making?

I think this is where resource quality/grade comes into play again as well.

And heck, this couple apply to even crafts like cooking! "Lasagna" is a dish with origins in Italy, but if you learn the Sicilian recipe for it, it will vary from the Roman recipe, etc. And even then, perhaps there are several well-known chefs in Sicily that have their very own version of "Sicilian Lasagna" so it becomes "Lethality's Sicilian Lasagna". And so on... :)
  • Options
    ESO did crafting quite well but it was easy to max out every profession, even all my 3 alts were master cooks, alchemists and enchanters. The racial styles with pages were just a mechanic to increase the duration which it took to collect a complete style. Usually you could just buy the pages for the parts that you wanted so there wasnt really a motivation in collecting parts that you dont use on your character.

We know crafting in this game will be different and you need to consider wisely if you want to master something. From what Ive heard so far you either max out one thing or be average at a couple. I think this is a good choice, players will be forced to trade or sell crafted gear because its impossible to make everything yourself. This also makes it more important to have a wide collection of blueprints and racial styles available in order to cater to the demand of the customers.

What also comes into play is that some class combinations might be more expensive/unfavorable than others. For example, a Rouge/Ranger might need a woodworker, leatherworker and blacksmith to make a complete gear set. This means he needs to trade with two crafters. As where a Fighter/Fighter might only need a blacksmith which makes it possible to create a complete gear set without trading.

There are a lot of options to consider when it comes to planning a character build, I hope we soon get more detailed info about crafting, classes and combat so the can continue theorycrafting!
  • Options
    The problem with ESO was:
    1. Everyone could do everything.
    2. And you must either grind RNG for eternity....or use the cash shop.
    They basically made master crafters 10 a penny and then monetised the arse out of it.

If they had said somehtthing along the lines heres 50 style books with 10 pieces.
    You can unlock 10% of them.
    Then you have forced choice, and instead of crafters being 10 a penny.
    All crafters would have had their own preferred crafting styles.
    You would actually need more then '1' crafter.... in this case a minimum of 10.
  • Options
    there were a couple interesting things said here so far:
    1. crafters should be limited to certain specialties.
    2. race benefits could monopolizing certain crafts.
    3. players could find bluepruints for crafts
    4. players learn/develop styles durring their travels.
    here are my thoughts on these aspects:

1.  it would make the game more interesting to limit specializations. this could introduce a supply-demand mechanic, if crafters could decide their specialties later in the game. more obviously, it would prevent players from relying soley on their own crafting skills, possibly improving the community of the crafting shops. however, not being able to craft your own items means you have to hope someone else crafted the item you wanted, and you have to find the crafter who did. ashes of creation has a slightly differnet approach. this problem should subside with more crafters, though. furthermore, with more crafters, it becomes necessary to find certain niches to beat competition, and player item requests will become a good way of finding those opportunities. 

2.  race benefits could be monopolizing if certain races were better at making certain items, like elves-->bows, dwarves-->hammers, etc. however, if race only effects what attributes a player is best at adding to an item, then elves will be better at making bows with certain qualities (like attack speed or magic bonuses), rather than all bows. this way, different players will buy different bows from crafters of different races, and certain races will provide certain attributes, but to whatever items they want to craft. this would also encourage buying from other crafters, rather than making everyting yourself.

it's also worth considering what Michael said about researching race styles(possibly including ancient styles discovered in game) havimg more effect than player race.

this would also introduce the possibility of having multiple crafters work on a single item to add more/different attributes. going further, this could change the gatherer-->processor-->crafter to something more like gatherer-->processor-->processor-->crafter-->crafter-->crafter for more advanced items. 

3.  a treasure hunter profession is just cool. they could have specialized skills for entering advanced or intricate dungeons/areas, they could make deals with crafters to get discounts on items made with their blueprints or a share of the profits, etc.
    furthermore, blueprint parts could be combined in different ways, so that trading blueprints becomes a way of inventing new kinds of items. 

4.  the idea of play style automatically affecting player attributes brings some mixed feelings. at one point, it'd be cool to have the enviornment in which you play affect your character to make the experience feel more realistic and developmental. on the other hand, you might feel obligated to play a certain way you'd rather not to get an attribute you wanted, or you'd feel disconneted for your character to change without your intent. selecting from multiple options for progression would reduce that negative effect, however, even if the choices were automatically defined by play style.
  • Options
    The problem with ESO was:
    1. Everyone could do everything.
    2. And you must either grind RNG for eternity....or use the cash shop.
    They basically made master crafters 10 a penny and then monetised the arse out of it.

If they had said somehtthing along the lines heres 50 style books with 10 pieces.
    You can unlock 10% of them.
    Then you have forced choice, and instead of crafters being 10 a penny.
    All crafters would have had their own preferred crafting styles.
    You would actually need more then '1' crafter.... in this case a minimum of 10.
    Pretty sure they said that you could only master 2 professions in AoC, per character. So won't need to worry about everyone doing everything. There should be some diversity, atleast until people are at the stage where they've maxed alts too. 
  • Options
    Styles could easily be built into the Node system.  When a node is at a particular level, the recipes for the style of that zone would be available for purchase.  If the node drops below that level, the vendors are not available.    Depending on how complex they want to make it, they could have it a shared quest line that everyone would have to chip in to unlock that style vendor.

Ex. Once a node in Elven lands is leveled to lvl 4, then there is an available quest in that zone where there's rumors of an ancient buried temple.  
        Step 1. Clear the area of hostile creatures (kill 400,000 hostiles in that zone).  
        Step 2. Now that the zone is cleared of hostiles, they need to clear out the brush (harvest 100,000 trees or bring in 100,000 logs)
        Step 3. The ruins have been exposed and there are some strange hieroglyphics that need to be translated.  Go collect Elven hieroglyphic pages from dungeon ABC.
        Step 4. They've unlocked the inner sanctum of the temple, clear the creatures out of the temple, (kill 400,000 hostiles found in the temple)
        Step 5. The temple is cleared except for the final room.  Subdue the giant demon.  (World boss)
        Step 6. The demon has been slain!  Among the ruins, we found some tomes of knowledge about some ancient elven crafting techniques.  We need the resources to be able to experiment and practice the contents. Collect 1,000,000 ore, 1,000,000 logs, etc)
       Step 7. Now that we have the materials, we need assistance crafting some sample pieces.  (craft 2,000,000 pieces of XYZ)  This could be like work orders in EQ2 where the materials would not be needed because they were already collected.  It could be a reward for would be crafters to raise their skills without needing the mats.
      Step 8. We have perfected the art!  See vendor XYZ to purchase a copy of the recipes.  

I always like the special events that WoW put out pre-release of a new expansion, many were joint effort quests where you need to collect ingredients across the entire server to unlock the next stage. 

If each of the special styles had to be unlocked in this way, it would make each of these styles more unique and special and armor looks each particular server would be different based on what zones they had managed to unlocked and do the joint quests.  So you wouldn't see everyone wearing the same armor sets.  It would be another incentive for people to destroy some high level nodes so they could level another area node and unlock those recipes.  Experienced players who have played for a long time would inevitably collect these rare recipes over time and they could parade around in a unique armor appearance that hasn't been available for several months/years.