Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

More playable races down the line?

Just curious, will there be room to add more playable races down the line? Personally I love playing as more nonhuman races like lizardmen or (to name a specific race) the worgen from WoW. The current playable races are the standard four (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Orc) which isn't a problem and certainly doesn't ruin the game for me but variety is the spice of life and it would be cool to see some other, less familiar playable races. Personally I'd be interestind in an avian race with beaks, talons and feathers that have hardened into scales similar to that of a pangolin (its an idea I had don't judge me.)

Comments

• Options
    They've mentioned that they are considering more races for expansions.
  • Options
    Oh damn, I missed that. Cool to hear.
  • Options
    They are very influenced by DnD so non-human player races are definitely not out of the question. Be cool to see some Dragonborn wandering around with Breath Fire skill. Though they are a newer race. The <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarakocra" target="_blank">Aarakocra</a> have been around since like the beginning and are a bird race. I just hope as well they could be player races.
  • Options
    There will be a Q&A livestream today @ 3:00 PM PDT. Try asking your question in the hopes it gets picked and answered.
  • Options
    I feel more races should be a high priority in development.

One of the appeals in MMOs for a lot of people is finding a way to stand out in the crowd, particularly in character customization. Race serves as a broad starting point to distinguish who you are.

As it stands, the current racial selection seems a bit too 'standard' for what should be a revolutionary game, though if the differences between the racial types are adequately unique (after all, High Elves and Dark Elves are both elves, but share few similarities beyond that), it'll go some way in alleviating that. Even still, it'd be good to see more diversity; beastmen, divine-touched, elemental-esque beings, etc etc.

Granted, making unique racial identities in terms of design and animation is challenging and draining on time and resources, but it's also one of the biggest choices we make when deciding who we want to be when we play a RPG.
  • Options
    I Agree more races makes for more individuality which is important. Also it can affect even more class base skills! An with that being said we need a furry wolf/cat like race, like what about the furry lovers :,(
  • Options
    I am also disappointed in the races. They advertised 8 unique races and i don't feel like we got that. Most disappointing part for me is we didn't even get the classic fantasy "monster" race. Iit would be nice if the next stretch goal was an aquatic monster race to accompany the water expansion. I'd love a aquatic reptilian like a lizardman/naga, gaterman, or even an aquatic dragonborn style race.
  • Options
    Considering the subspecies aspect of races, I was imagining that a bird race and lizardman race could be two subspecies of the same race. Bit of a stretch but birds did evolve from dinosaurs, it could be a thing. I also see a lot of people going for more bestial races as well like cat people and wolf people. don't know if joining them together as a subspecies would work as well but maybe.
    Just considering how to get more variety in the game without Intrepid having to massive amounts of work for each individual race.
  • Options
    maybe it'll be one of the later stretch goals
  • Options
    I'd love for the devs to add some gender-neutral races.
    Androgynous humans, first. Perhaps races based on lizards and insects or fish, later.
  • Options
    With the new water and underground environments, it would be nice to see some races that come from those domains.

Maybe a portal in each, with two sub-races.
  • Options
    I would not expect a wolf/cat race once they already said will be a werewolf/vampire like flavors.
    With that said I think it should be nice to have a bird-ish/ bat-ish(with nightvision) or elemental/fairy like races. But, we still have to wait for the art concept of the races. All we can do is wait.
  • Options
    I'd personally like to see some sort of reptilian or reptilian like demon race perhaps? A bird like with a bat like race would be cool to play as well. Love that idea.

Personally it's a bit of a gripe with me. I don't like playing your general humanoid races like Dwarves, Humans, Elves or even Orcs. It's... bland to me. I get that they've added differences and by no means do I think they shouldn't be in a game but this is a personal preference.

I do hope to see more diverse races though honestly. I'm just... bored all the generic or half assed player races in games. Saying that though if they manage to get that naval stretch goal and more exploration goals completed I'm going all in anyway. I love that kinda stuff. Not enough exploration in other games in my opinion.

But yeah back on topic... I do want more diverse races. Hearing plans would be... amazing but I don't expect it.
  • Options
    Rindali said:

One of the appeals in MMOs for a lot of people is finding a way to stand out in the crowd, particularly in character customization. Race serves as a broad starting point to distinguish who you are.

As it stands, the current racial selection seems a bit too 'standard' for what should be a revolutionary game, though if the differences between the racial types are adequately unique (after all, High Elves and Dark Elves are both elves, but share few similarities beyond that), it'll go some way in alleviating that. Even still, it'd be good to see more diversity; beastmen, divine-touched, elemental-esque beings, etc etc.

Granted, making unique racial identities in terms of design and animation is challenging and draining on time and resources, but it's also one of the biggest choices we make when deciding who we want to be when we play a RPG.
    I feel about the same... I love playing undead races like an skelleton or a succubus. In my opinion they could reuse the armor, if the body "patterns" or the character build is the same. But I would not mind either about some extra race specific armor added later on in the game ;)

Sidenode: My interest for character design is like perfectly hit with the anime Overlord, because ashes of creation gets more and more like this series ;) ... so don´t mind getting some ideas from it it wouldn´t harm ;)
  • Options
    I think that 4 races with 2 undercategories is enough for a start. :D
    They can always add more races with later expansions!
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    Holy Necro Batman! In the year and half since this thread was created they added the Tulnar as a stretch goal during the Kickstarter and Steven has ruled out playable undead races and Dark Elves. The 4 races even with the 2 splits have been said to have enough a difference that they will feel like totally different races and the Tulnar depending on how much of each of the 3 main trait sliders you put in will determine your place in their caste system. While they very well may add more races down the line, you can fully expect them to match the lore that they are creating and not be some weeb knockoff.

• Options
    Rindali said:

I feel about the same... I love playing undead races like an skelleton or a succubus. In my opinion they could reuse the armor, if the body "patterns" or the character build is the same. But I would not mind either about some extra race specific armor added later on in the game ;)

Sidenode: My interest for character design is like perfectly hit with the anime Overlord, because ashes of creation gets more and more like this series ;) ... so don´t mind getting some ideas from it it wouldn´t harm ;)
    oh my sweet undead child you have much to learn ^^
  • Options
    Theres enough as is. U can hope for it in an expansion maybe
  • Options
    Theres enough as is. U can hope for it in an expansion maybe
    There is never enough
  • Options
    If you mate with one of the gods you can start your own race.
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    You do know skeletons are lacking some organs 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    sunfrog said:
    But there is an easy joke we can make about skeletons having one of the necessary components for the mating equation
  • Options
    nagash said:
    sunfrog said:
    But there is an easy joke we can make about skeletons having one of the necessary components for the mating equation
    it seems lm boned ^^
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    I think we should get a gnome like race. In case that our ammunition for our catapults runs out while sieging a city or something ;D
  • Options
    HOLD ON i cant be a dark elf?

or, i can make one in the character creator and role play as a dark elf? 

I better be able to pick a shade of Carmel for my pyrai elf lol.
  • Options
    Pinkberry said:

People have specifically asked for Drow or "Dark Elves" a couple times, and those times the answer has been no. Races will have a range of options available to them, not every range. While it will do little to dissuade the mass of angry edgelords that had planned to name their characters a variation of Drizzt or Sepiroth, they are going to have to settle for what Steven has decided are his image of "high fantasy elves."
  • Options
    Pinkberry said:

well at least you have the elf class im forced to kill my kin 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Pinkberry said:

Well you could also chose to slay everyone who tries to slay your kin #undeadlivesmatter

But i doubt that the undead will be very grateful.
  • Options
    Augentier said:
    nagash said:
    Pinkberry said:

Well you could also chose to slay everyone who tries to slay your kin #undeadlivesmatter

But i doubt that the undead will be very grateful.
    I just want all undead to be free  :'(
  • Options
    Seems like this is very open to allow new races join. Or even explore different worlds. Who knows if there is a god that will open a portal to new areas in a way that all the current races are in.