Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes will be for multicore processor?

Hi again

I know that it is very early for this question, but it would be a very interesting option depending on the characteristics of the game and be able to exploit the potential of the processors, whether they are 4 or more cores.
Currently there is some game in development that is adding to this initiative that the game has this possibility and adapts in function of the processor.

Regards, JaPeMo

Comments

• Options
    It would be very nice to have some support for that, but on the other hand MMO's arent usually that CPU intensive are they? (Might be wrong on this, but usually its more GPU/RAM right?)
  • Options
    [quote quote=1516]It would be very nice to have some support for that, but on the other hand MMO’s arent usually that CPU intensive are they? (Might be wrong on this, but usually its more GPU/RAM right?)

[/quote]

MMOs are usually extremely CPU intensive because way more "round-trips" going on between client and server. There are certain things they have to do on the CPU side that they can't (or are just harder to do) on the GPU side as well.
  • Options
    [quote quote=1524]<blockquote><div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/ashes-will-be-for-multicore-processor/#post-1516" rel="nofollow">Julemanden wrote:</a></div>
    It would be very nice to have some support for that, but on the other hand MMO’s arent usually that CPU intensive are they? (Might be wrong on this, but usually its more GPU/RAM right?)

</blockquote>
    MMOs are usually extremely CPU intensive because way more “round-trips” going on between client and server. There are certain things they have to do on the CPU side that they can’t (or are just harder to do) on the GPU side as well.

[/quote]
    Haha i was apparently basicly completely wrong :) Fair enough then it might matter alot :)
  • Options
    I really hope so. Because I have an 8 core double threaded. 
  • Options
    I would be prepared for Quad-core Processing, 8gb ram minimum and atleast 1050 gtx equiv graphics.
  • Options
    I'm hoping I can get Ashes to work on a GPD Pocket Mini on the lowest settings.
  • Options
    The hardest part of multi-cpu support isn't the hardware, its the coding. So many great MMO's have come out that were single-thread CPU heavy meaning the faster you could get 1 core to run, the better the game ran. 

Some of us that play games are older, and have enough discretionary income to afford a nice rig. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing 40fps, 30 percent GPU utilization, 99 percent core-1 cpu usage, with the other seven cpu cores doing little work. No amount of money can be thrown at this style of game coding to get a decent framerate/user experience.

Lots of game systems implemented in the code can be off-loaded to other CPU's. It's not an easy task but for those developers that have succeeded, the results are magical(and also make you feel like the money you invested in your rig was money well spent!) 

• Options
    Wouldn't it be better to spend your money on a better GPU then worrying about multi cores. Seeing that feature has to be added into the code of UE4.

• Options
    Would like to know if they will support SLI.  I asked earlier and that isnthe part i am curious about