Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tab target

Can this not be a thing please, I played BDO and i never want to go back

Comments

• Options
    The developers have already settled on tab tagerting, though there will be elements of action combat mixed into it. You will be able to dodge, and the combat should be very reactive.
  • Options
    they said that in revalation online. that game had shit pvp mechanics.
  • Options
    To make a graet PvE system and be able to do weapon chai s or similar attacks the tab targetting is the best option. In pvp is also nice as it was in AION for example
  • Options
    I really hope this game has not a "CD watching" / "best key sequence" combat system.

Gameplay is not about "tab targeting" vs "action combat" but mostly where player looks during combat. PLS do not make me watch my skill bar every 1,5 sec to be good at combat. I wanna look at the fight, my opponent, my positioning.

I know that tab targeting has a lower learning curve and this may attract more players (casuals, younger players etc...).
    But imo a (next gen) MMORPG of ~2018+ with the combat system of 1998 will be hard to keep a core player base.

May combat be reactionary!
  • Options
    Revelation online had a weird combination of both. You could chose either but neither was a full experience imo.

BDO combat is really one of the best things about it. Experiencing fluid combat inside an MMO really is wonderful. Even being in Aus where ping is something you have to contest with it was still the most fun fighting in an MMO.

It goes against the "player freedom" theme they are going for having tab targeting but if the game is everything else it say it will be that's something I can live with lamo
  • Options
    Something that got me thinking about this the other day. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in programming can answer. I've noticed that a lot of the action MMO's, (BDO, Tera etc) are the ones with gender locks and non or hardly changing equipment visuals. Could this be a "downside" of action combat? from a laymans point of view I imagine action combat is a lot less stressful on the system if there's less variables to factor in, so basically every class looks the same, gender locked etc.
  • Options
    Just watched a video on Dragons Dogma Online, if the combat mechanics were anything like that it would be amazing. I know quite a few people who would love this game, but if all you do is sit still and press keys(except to avoid aoe skills/position for back stabs), then they would be pretty turned off.
  • Options
    I actually like Tab Targetting, and while BDO is very flashy, I never really cared much for my action gaming in an MMO.
    I do however enjoy the Hybrid systems, like what they kind of used in Wild Star, and when you have to move around to avoid AOEs-- and I do actually enjoy ESO's combat system which is also a hybrid really (cause you can lock onto a target).

If its something like ESO and not really BDO, I'd actually be fairly happy. Not a full tab target, but somewhere between the two.
  • Options
    ESO's combat system is one of the most successful in my opinion. It allowed for a very skill based experience rather than a sequential experience. Being able to animation cancel and light attack weave really well separated the talent in the player base. The talented players felt rewarded for being good and the newer players had something to work towards. That is where i see ESO's combat system succeeded the most, it rewarded good use of it. Also being able to quickly change targets by looking towards the thing you were trying to hit made for a very immersive play style. If this game has ESO combat system but AoC philosophy then I really couldn't see how this game could fail.
  • Options
    [quote quote=15541]Something that got me thinking about this the other day. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in programming can answer. I’ve noticed that a lot of the action MMO’s, (BDO, Tera etc) are the ones with gender locks and non or hardly changing equipment visuals. Could this be a “downside” of action combat? from a laymans point of view I imagine action combat is a lot less stressful on the system if there’s less variables to factor in, so basically every class looks the same, gender locked etc.

[/quote]

It has nothing to do with the combat system and everything to do with the quality and number of animations. In the past, games didn't use many animations and often times each character had a few animations that were re-used by different abilities. easy example of this is pre-legion wow. You will see a lot of the same animation with different effects added on to make them look different.

Games are visually improving and part of that improvement is having more animations. For the most part, each animation needs to be animated for each model i.e male, female. So creating the animations for both a male and female version of a class required double the effort then a single. BDO's devs openly says that because of all the work it takes to make each gender, they would rather make unique classes for the genders instead of copying them over.
  • Options
    [quote quote=15322]Can this not be a thing please, I played BDO and i never want to go back

[/quote]

stay with BDO then.. i hate the combat in BDO. i love the combat iv seen so far in AoC. so just stick with youre original plan pls!
  • Options
    [quote quote=15420]I really hope this game has not a “CD watching” / “best key sequence” combat system.

Gameplay is not about “tab targeting” vs “action combat” but mostly where player looks during combat. PLS do not make me watch my skill bar every 1,5 sec to be good at combat. I wanna look at the fight, my opponent, my positioning.

I know that tab targeting has a lower learning curve and this may attract more players (casuals, younger players etc…).
    But imo a (next gen) MMORPG of ~2018+ with the combat system of 1998 will be hard to keep a core player base.

May combat be reactionary!

[/quote]
    lol saying tab-target is casual and ez is just wrong! there's way more tactics involved than button smashing for a flashy combo.
    im sry but iv bn playing BDO from beta till level 60 and the combat is ez s hell.. learn rotation press buttons and the 1 with the best gear wins... its garbage and i dont want it AoC EVER! i want this game to have its own combat! and wat iv seen so far looks great. stick with it Intrepid!!
  • Options
    Can you please not repost the same thread over and over, there are at least 6 out there.

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/tab-target-vs-action-what-if-a-game-had-both/#post-8007

8sites of discussion, 8 read through that and then don't come back here and offer something new there instead.
    https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/tab-target-really/

How about this,
    https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/combat-terabdo-or-more-like-gw2/
  • Options
    [quote quote=15609]Just watched a video on Dragons Dogma Online, if the combat mechanics were anything like that it would be amazing. I know quite a few people who would love this game, but if all you do is sit still and press keys(except to avoid aoe skills/position for back stabs), then they would be pretty turned off.

[/quote]

Never, please.

Dragon's Dogma Online in PC is a bad adaptation from consoles with framed/limited moves.

Video is OK but the playbility is stiff.
  • Options
    My vote is for a hybrid ArcheAge+BDO (tab target + action), faster than GW2 and less boring than WoW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9daEqG0yQk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_bv8qzDOJg
  • Options
    The more I read on these discussion the more I am convinced that most people do not know what they are talking about. Tab targetting and action combat are not exclusionary from one another. Button mashing and aiming are not necessary part of action combat and action combat can require more tactics and thinking than the hotbar pianist kind of combat we have in most MMOs. Animation cancelling is also not part of action combat and is actually bad because it removes consequences. Take a look at Dark Souls style of combat - it has enemy locking, i.e. tab-targetting but you have to time your attacks properly and all attacks, including the ranged ones, can be avoided despite it having a lock on the target. It is also action combat but button mashing would be the stupidest thing you can do there and there are no animation cancelling because what action to do and when to do it is all the combat is about. I want that kind of combat for an MMO, not a direct copy of the Dark Souls system but something that makes it easy to do exactly what you want to do and at the same time requires proper timing and knowledge of exactly what you are doing and what consequences it has.

The problem with BDO PvE is that it is basically Dynasty Warriors through all of it's content except very select boss fights - you mow through endless hordes of enemies that present no challenge to you because their attacks are slow and can be easily avoided. Your actions do not matter that much for the most part and what attack you use is almost irrelevant so you end up doing just the one that does the most damage.

The problem with ESO combat is that there are no consequences for your actions because you can constantly move and you can animation cancel like crazy and there are attacks that are absolutely impossible to dodge because they are hard locked onto you.

The problem with standard MMO combat is that it is not engaging on its own but the challenge and the interesting parts of the combat are the gimmicks that each boss has.
  • Options
    do we have a forum moderator yet?

maybe we need a system like Star Citizen forums where they just throw all the same topic threads into the same megathread
  • Options
    Changing from their current combat system would delay this game months if not over a year or more. So please stop talking about how combat needs to be changed. Leave it alone until Beta at least.
  • Options
    I'm all for "tabbed targeting", for server load and performance.

However...

I would like to see something like what I call "Reticle Targeting". Reticle Targeting is a lot like tabbed targeting, but instead of selecting a MOB with a mouse or keystroke, the game client selects the MOB that is currently in the center of the players screen.

So you have to "aim" (point your character) at the MOB, and if its in range, and stays within the center of your screen, its selected.

Its a cool gimmick to simulate aiming, but I definitely don't want to see cross hairs :p
  • Options
    [quote quote=16267]Changing from their current combat system would delay this game months if not over a year or more. So please stop talking about how combat needs to be changed. Leave it alone until Beta at least.

[/quote]
    Yeah, let's leave it alone until it is too late to change, why wouldn't we do that...
  • Options
    tab targeting or action comabt doesnt give any variables to serverloading or performance.... and even if it did i would preferr waiting for the game to load once for 10 minutes then just having another WOW copy...
  • Options
    The server load comes from server side hit detection. This is common with most online First Person Shooters. Client side hit detection can be exploited. Of course, this is a Fantasy MMO, so server side hit detection isn't needed.

Dual Universe is a Space MMO that will be using "Reticle Targeting" to keep the hit detection load off the servers, and simulate FPS combat.
  • Options
    [quote quote=16267]Changing from their current combat system would delay this game months if not over a year or more. So please stop talking about how combat needs to be changed. Leave it alone until Beta at least.

[/quote]
    Its worth it because this game is based on player interaction so if the pvp combat sucks the entire game will suck. If the combat system in this game sucks, then the game will fail or not be as fun as it could have been. I mean, if it does turn out to be lame combat, maybe there will still be fun stuff to do in the game, but it will be a lot less enjoyable than if the combat was actually fun and less successful too.

[quote quote=16211]The more I read on these discussion the more I am convinced that most people do not know what they are talking about. Tab targetting and action combat are not exclusionary from one another. Button mashing and aiming are not necessary part of action combat and action combat can require more tactics and thinking than the hotbar pianist kind of combat we have in most MMOs. Animation cancelling is also not part of action combat and is actually bad because it removes consequences. Take a look at Dark Souls style of combat – it has enemy locking, i.e. tab-targetting but you have to time your attacks properly and all attacks, including the ranged ones, can be avoided despite it having a lock on the target. It is also action combat but button mashing would be the stupidest thing you can do there and there are no animation cancelling because what action to do and when to do it is all the combat is about. I want that kind of combat for an MMO, not a direct copy of the Dark Souls system but something that makes it easy to do exactly what you want to do and at the same time requires proper timing and knowledge of exactly what you are doing and what consequences it has.

[/quote]

I want combat similar to dark souls too, but instead of using a health bar they could use something like in the wwe games where they show a body and depending on what body part is damaged, you cant use it very well and if you take enough damage you die.
  • Options
    [quote quote=16663]
    I want combat similar to dark souls too, but instead of using a health bar they could use something like in the wwe games where they show a body and depending on what body part is damaged, you cant use it very well and if you take enough damage you die.

[/quote]

The problem with this would be that you have to target specific body parts and have a hit detection for specific body parts. MMOs have a problem with hit detection being exploited on the client side so most of those should be on the server side and the more intricate this goes the more the server load will be. At this point I would be happy for a combat system that does just the basics right and not the more intricate stuff if it would allow it to happen.