Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Class Combinations - Theorycraft Archtypes

Greetings all,

So I've delved through many a topics here and while there are a few that discuss classes and thier skills, lore, and content, there really hasn't been much explored yet into what the different Archtypes will potentially be. For example, the developers explained in thier video that a Fighter who seconds as a Mage becomes a Spellsword. Signifying that melee combat is thier focus but is supplemented with Mage abilities. In theory, if a Mage seconds as as Fighter they become a Battlemage. The two same classes with different outcomes. As I've read, this type of system has been done before in other games. So, to get to the kibble and bits of my topic, I'd like to here what you think the different combinations "could" be or what combination Archtypes you'd "like" to see. Here's the classes again if you need the reference.

Tank
Fighter
Rogue
Ranger
Mage
Cleric
Summoner
Bard

For me, I'd like to see Druid. Which could be Mage+Ranger or Summoner+Ranger. Perhaps?

Comments

• Options
    For druid, i was thinking mage/summoner+ranger would be your offensive magic druid and cleric/bard+ranger would be your healer/support druid. not sure what the physical classes would be.

If there is a class i'm interested in it's probably either fighter/fighter or fighter/rogue.

Here is the theories i have for the aesthetics of each class that you get by selecting it for your secondary:

Tank: I have no clue aesthetically what it would be, it probably gives some defensive augmentations to you
    Fighter: still not much of a clue, probably related to physical damage
    Rogue: stealth and shadow stuff, possibly how you make warlock, deathknight, necro
    Ranger: nature
    Mage: mage
    Cleric: holy/divine magic
    Summoner: summon stuff. we already have the example of a fighter summoning a sword to attack instead of swinging his own
    Bard: no clue but might have something to do with auras. Fighter bard might be the commander class.

I really have no clue on how close this comes to what they actually have planned but for now, hopefully it helps this conversation.
  • Options
    Aw. This will be a ton of fun once we have a better idea of the abilities each primary archetype has and what augments the secondaries will provide.
    The devs already mentioned Paladin = Fighter + Cleric.
    Or maybe Paladin = Tank + Cleric

In D&D, Druid = Cleric + Ranger. Druids use divine magic rather than arcane magic.
    But in AoC would probably be Druid = Ranger + Cleric.

Wizardess = Mage + Mage
    Berzerker = Tank + Tank
    Gladiator = Tank + Fighter
    Warrior = Fighter + Fighter
    Knight = Fighter + Tank
    Necromancer = Summoner + Mage
    Witch = Mage + Summoner
    Swashbuckler = Fighter + Rogue
    Ninja = Rogue + Fighter
    Hunter = Rogue + Ranger
    Tracker (Trapper) = Ranger + Ranger
    Assassin = Rogue + Bard
    Archaeologist = Bard + Rogue
    Prophetess = Cleric + Bard
    Scholar = Bard + Bard
    Siren = Summoner + Bard
    Shaman = Cleric + Ranger
    Succubus = Bard + Mage
    Invoker = Mage + Bard
  • Options
    Of course all idle speculation but I'll bite.

Wizard = Mage / Mage
    Battlemage = Mage / Fighter
    Sorcerer = Summoner / Summoner
    Warlock / Witch = Summoner / Mage
    Weapon Master = Fighter / Fighter
    Paladin = Fighter / Cleric
    Scoundrel = Rogue / Rogue
    Blade Dancer = Rogue / Fighter
    Assassin = Rogue / Ranger
    Path Finder = Ranger / Ranger
    Hunter = Ranger / Fighter
    Rune Priest = Cleric / Cleric
    War Priest = Cleric / Fighter
    Shaman = Cleric / Summoner

I admit that Bard has me at a loss as I have never played that class in other games that they were present in.
  • Options
    (The description for the AoC Bard is focused on speaking or singing secret, powerful words that affect the minds of others.)
  • Options
    Ranger/Mage
  • Options
    I like playing supports, so my idea would be

Cleric/Cleric = High Priest (Revive, powerful heals, holy magic)
    Cleric/Tank = Auramancer (Grants shields HP, buff armor)
    Cleric/Bard = Oracle (Excels in cleanse and AoE healing)
    Cleric/Mage = Enchanter (Enchants armor and weapons, MP regen, Magic barriers)
    Cleric/Summoner = Necromancer (Revive the undead and use them to battle.)
    Cleric/Fighter = Inquisitor (Close range combat and healing, holy damage, buffs in survival)
    Cleric/Ranger = Warden (Long range healing and attacks, aggro control, zone control)
    Cleric/Rogue = Sinner (Takes life to give life. A class that revolves around Hp management rather than Mp)

Reverse class

Tank/Cleric = Paladin (Self heal, holy damage, tank)
    Bard/Cleric = Songstress (AoE Buffs, AoE healing and regeneration using soothing voice)
    Mage/Cleric = Naturalist (Uses spells from nature and earth, can support allies and cc foes)
    Summoner/Cleric = Shaman (Summon totems to heal and damage enemies)
    Fighter/Cleric = Bloodthrall (Excels in close range combat, using lifesteal and HP to deal damage)
    Ranger/Cleric = Survivalist (Traps, herbs, potions, cooking and damage!)
    Rogue/Cleric = Vampire (Excels in charm, dark illusions, and life drain)

Notable class

Ranger/Summoner = Tamer (Can tame a wild beast, putting it under your control)
  • Options
    I am going to play a Rogue most likely.
    Planning on These depending on how augmentation of abilities works.

Rogue/Rogue = Rogue?
    Rogue/Mage = Trickster
    Rogue/Ranger = Assassin (Someone else said this but I also think it fits well)
    Rogue/Fighter = Bandit
    Rogue/Summoner = Shadow-stalker (I believe someone else also said this)
    Rogue/Cleric = Incubus/Succubus
    Rogue/Bard, although I have no idea what I would call this.
  • Options
    Personally I am excited to see what unconventional combos could do if people don't see it coming. Something like a tank/rogue that could supplement its survivability with some tricky stealth and dodging mechanics. Or a summoner/bard using their bard buffs to make their summoned minions far stronger than expected.
  • Options
    All of your participation thus far has been great! If all of you are okay with it, I intend to catalog all of these ideas into a spreadsheet for reference and we can continue to update it as more content and information is released.

I think a lot of these will be pretty close to the mark for what the developers have planned. They did reference D&D in their video I believe when talking about dungeon exploration in relation to class uses, such as the Mage's ball of light and the Rogue's trap sense.

Dygz, I admit that I had forgotten Druids use Divine magic not Arcane lol so you're right, Cleric over Mage makes more sense. I also really like your idea of Mage+Bard=Invoker and information about the Bard's design makes me ecstatic! For all you within this thread, I have a deep personal love for Bards and my opinion is they are thee most underrated and underappreciated class and rarely comes up in games anymore. It probably also makes me biased seeing as I'm a writer lol. So I say with much experience Damonicas that you are missing out lol. But only if you like support roles.

Shirikuryu, I'm getting the sense you are a kindred spirit and that you, maybe, like Clerics. lol

Michael, I suggest Rogue/Bard could be Duelist?
  • Options
    I‘m really interested into the Bard. At the moment I don't know what role he will fulfill. Hope for a support kind of class. Always enjoyed the D&D Bard. So many options to play it and give your DM a nervous breakdown. :)

Bard + Mage could be an Illusionist.
    Bard + Rogue maybe Trickster (playing pranks to others → debuff/support)

In terms of the Cleric. I think most people see him as a holy healer. But I think there will also be a „dark way“ to play him. According to the motto “Where there is light, there is also shadow”.

So I think a Necromancer will be Summoner+Cleric.
  • Options
    I am playing for sure a bard and I would be so happy, to get a great and amazing playable Bard again.

My wishes so far:

Don`t forget to give him a huge runspeed buff. ????
    --> And flickering & sparkling (fiery?^^golden ones?^^colorful? ) notes around the Bard..
    maybe a little melody, which surrounds the Bard?

And give the Bard a few different Instruments.

And nice hat`s.

And mighty ability`s, for a tacktical and important using in group!

And don t make too few spells / ability`s. -->

30 is maybe really to much.
    Isn t maybe fun, to be in a dungeon and the only you see for 2 hour`s are only the spell bars...:
    "Heyyy, what was the mob? A Dragon, right? Noo no, was a trutle. Oook. -.-"

But as example: 8 would be muuuch to little..; then comes fast the boredom.

Don`t make it to easy. Make it epic. :)

Greetings. :)
  • Options
    Sanserif, we could very well be duo support in a raid once this game launch :D. I play other roles but when I play with my friends, I just love playing the support role. A little selfish of me but I force them to play tank/dps roles (though I'll switch from time to time).

I'll love to help you theory craft some more if you decide to make a spread sheet. We can even go through potential skills and augments!

Tangent on my personal feelings>

Since this game is subscription base, I don't know if I can get my friends to play AoC since they usually go for the F2P genre. I still enjoy Moba games with them but we fell out of love with MMORPGs since we couldn't find one that satisfied our group. We still search for new MMOs and test them out but all have failed(even great titles like GW2 and bdo). AoC is something I'm going in alone and I hope to report back to my friends with great results. Good enough to convince them to join and play with me. I'm crossing my fingers that the devs will make MMOs great again, something that will last for years to come.
  • Options
    I could definitely be down for that Shirikuryu lol. I tend to not mind falling into any role the party needs but I still enjoy a buff/stun/debuff role. Hahaha, no I fully understand the selfish part. XD If I don't go support, I tend to lean into ranged.

Sounds great! And who knows, perhaps some of the developers could be reading the forums and like our ideas. I'm currently working on formatting the spreadsheet using Open Office.

Feelings on Tangent of Personal Feelings>

I can understand. I've mostly played F2P myself and have been searching for my Mecca of MMORPGS. Let's see... Ive tried many, but the only one I still really play is Lotro and a friend convinced me to try WoW again.. I fell out of GW2 as well, gave up on swtor, couldn't really get into Archeage. Haven't tried bdo yet, but I remember there was something that bugged me about it.. Well, you're not going in alone anymore. ;) I believe that AoC can be great and I'm willing to take the risk.
  • Options
    I heareth Fortune favors the bold,
    or do thou just mildly appreciate?
    As a class of song and time,
    I do find Bards sublime,
    and feel your burning notes of joy,
    and a nice hat,
    with feathers fine.

Hence I give you this reply,
    to which I hope you like.
    Flickering, sparkling,
    I hark unto you greetings,
    From the Bard within us all.
  • Options
    Here's a couple off the top of my head:

Illusionist (rogue/summoner) - This would play similar to a GW2 mesmer, using copies of yourself to trick your enemies

Geomancer (mage/tank) - Skills such as stone skin, quicksand, and earth wall would allow you to protect your allies by controlling the battlefield

Elementalist (summoner/mage) - the elementalist's summons would be more focused on AoE elemental damage but would give up much of their single-target abilities
  • Options
    [quote quote=16089]Swashbuckler = Fighter + Rogue[/quote]

You may have just helped me pick my class :D

This is a neat thread, props to OP! I'll give it a whirl, though there may be some repetition with previous posts.

Tank/Tank--Knight
    Tank/Fighter--Man-at-arms
    Tank/Rogue--Dreadknight
    Tank/Ranger--Lancer
    Tank/Mage--Battlemage
    Tank/Cleric--Paladin (Intrepid title)
    Tank/Summoner--Dragon Knight
    Tank/Bard--Herald

Fighter/Tank--Warlord
    Fighter/Fighter--Gladiator
    Fighter/Rogue--Swashbuckler
    Fighter/Ranger--Battler
    Fighter/Mage--Spellsword (Intrepid title)
    Fighter/Cleric--Enforcer
    Fighter/Summoner--Falconer
    Fighter/Bard--War Poet

Rogue/Tank--Kensei
    Rogue/Fighter--Bladedancer
    Rogue/Rogue--Shadowwalker
    Rogue/Ranger--Scout
    Rogue/Mage--Illusionist
    Rogue/Cleric--Survivalist
    Rogue/Summoner--Shadowtamer
    Rogue/Bard--Demoralizer

Ranger/Tank--Arbalister
    Ranger/Fighter--Lineman
    Ranger/Rogue--Assassin
    Ranger/Ranger--Marksman
    Ranger/Mage--Burster
    Ranger/Cleric--Druid
    Ranger/Summoner--Beastmaster
    Ranger/Bard--Watchman

Mage/Tank--Avatar
    Mage/Fighter--Swordslinger
    Mage/Rogue--Planewalker
    Mage/Ranger--Arcanist
    Mage/Mage--Sorcerer
    Mage/Cleric--Wizard
    Mage/Summoner--Elementalist
    Mage/Bard--Siren

Cleric/Tank--Crusader
    Cleric/Fighter--Templar
    Cleric/Rogue--Guardian
    Cleric/Ranger--Lorekeeper
    Cleric/Mage--Shoctor (get it? ;D )
    Cleric/Cleric--Priest
    Cleric/Summoner--Inquisitor
    Cleric/Bard--Prophet

Summoner/Tank--Warden
    Summoner/Fighter--Tamer
    Summoner/Rogue--Puppetmaster
    Summoner/Ranger--Beastrider
    Summoner/Mage--Necromancer
    Summoner/Cleric--Augur
    Summoner/Summoner--Evoker
    Summoner/Bard--Meister

Bard/Tank--Wardrummer
    Bard/Fighter--Accompanist
    Bard/Rogue--Trickster
    Bard/Ranger--Trumpeteer
    Bard/Mage--Gypsy
    Bard/Cleric--Minstrel
    Bard/Summoner--Yodeler
    Bard/Bard--Balladeer
  • Options
    As an end-game EQ-Bard I truly look foward to Bard in this game, I'll give it a try, I'll mark those I prefere

* Bard +Tank = Aura Guardian
    Bard +Fighter = Gladiator
    Bard +Rogue = Demon Hunter
    Bard +Ranger = Primal Hunter
    Bard +Mage = Chronomancer
    * Bard +Summoner = Pupetteer
    Bard +Cleric = Battle Medic
    Bard +Bard = Diplomat

Some also did strike me as a natural

Rogue + Ranger = Ethereal Assassin
    Ranger + Rogue = Primal Assassin

* Ranger + Summoner = Beastmaster

Tank + Rogue = Juggernault

As far as where I too them https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Classes (kind of cool base)
  • Options
    I am looking forward to playing:

Cleric/Bard= Monk(European)

for healing and utility.
  • Options
    Sciffer2014,
    I gotta admit that a Demon Hunter would be pretty awesome. I think it could be a good possibility if they get the backing to unlock their Underrealm goal.

Sarill,
    I'd like to see that. The last time I think i saw a European Monk was in Dark Age of Camelot. It would be nice to have something more in character with the expected Knights, Clerics, Rogues, Mages atmosphere. I love Jet Li, but I'm getting burned out on seeing him randomly show up in King Arthur's Court in games like these.

So! I've been taking as much from this thread as I can to put together a prototype spreadsheet as I mentioned early on. Unfortunately, responsibilities and technology get in the way. It also doesn't help I've started to expand on the original idea of making a Archtypes spreadsheet into putting together a full site where all the work on the potential of the classes can be displayed and updated, AoC lore as we imagine can be written, and a hub where various works of Fanfiction can be shared. If anyone has any suggestions on approaching this and or have serious considerations in wanting to help, let me know lol. If you all would like to see it meow in all its imperfections then just let me know and I'll get it up and share the link. ~Sanserif
  • Options
    I would love to see a <strong>Dancer </strong>type. I played Ragnarok online a long time ago and loved how the dancer (female bard) and the bard could do duos for amazing effects during castle sieges, but also had solo abilities . They used bows and whips. Whips really aren't used enough!
    Bard + Summoner
    Bard + Mage
  • Options
    Sanserif,

I'm also busy with work and I'm not a tech savy person so I'm not able to help code any of the website you're planning to make. If I were to do it, I would probably use wikia as an amateur. Well besides that, I would enjoy using a google spreadsheet with you to work out the theory crafting. Maybe have a voting system for combinations with multiple ideas and invite the community to vote.
  • Options
    Sivanna,
    In the spreadsheet I included the name Gypsy. Would you say that's Dancer-ish? Cause I think you have a good idea about including a dancer type. And welcome to the thread! :)

Shirikuryu,
    Hahaha I'm not so tech savvy as I'd like to believe. Currently I've set up an email through gmail linked to website creator. I've looked into wikis , WordPress, and Squarespace. Ooh, good idea, we should do a community vote once things get set up. Everyone here has contributed some great ideas.
  • Options
    I would love to see
    cleric/rogue=painbringer a damage style healing class
    Clerics/summoner=Valkyrie heals by summoning Valkyrie to protect and heal
  • Options
    @Sanserif I might give you a hand.
    You got a PM on the AoC Discord.
  • Options
    I'm honestly looking forward to artisan classes a ton, but since the topic is the archtypes and I do love the idea of a summoner:
    Summoner + Bard = ???
    I don't have a creative name for the combination, sorry, but I do see a lot of potential. Summoned creatures could buff the party with auras, inflict status effects upon enemies, provide aoe heals, who knows! I believe Tree of Savior had a combination class that allowed the player to place totems that supported the party. I've also seen some unique combinations done using classes in Aura Kingdom. There is so much potential I can't wait to see what develops.
  • Options
    [quote quote=18555]I’m honestly looking forward to artisan classes a ton, but since the topic is the archtypes and I do love the idea of a summoner:
    Summoner + Bard = ???
    I don’t have a creative name for the combination, sorry, but I do see a lot of potential. Summoned creatures could buff the party with auras, inflict status effects upon enemies, provide aoe heals, who knows! I believe Tree of Savior had a combination class that allowed the player to place totems that supported the party. I’ve also seen some unique combinations done using classes in Aura Kingdom. There is so much potential I can’t wait to see what develops.

[/quote]

How does something like 'farie whisper' or 'spirit caller' sound for Summoner + bard?

You summon spirits of another realm like sprites, faries, spirits and etc that would buff allies and can be used to fight as well?
  • Options
    </blockquote>
    How does something like ‘farie whisper’ or ‘spirit caller’ sound for Summoner + bard?

[/quote]

If it was 'Farie Whisperer' wouldn't that mean a Fighter whispering to a Bard? ;p
  • Options
    Here's my thoughts on this.

https://imgur.com/a/cKYdp#JQwJ6u5
  • Options
    Would enjoy a single sword fighter with something unique in his offhand (other than a shield, a dual wielder (axe or swords), or a large axe or sword wielding class. Especially for my orc.
  • Options
    Just hope for good <friar> analogue with parry/evasion skill + some support and staff(melee) specializations OR mix between guardian and daredevil (GW2): mb it's cleric+ fighter
    Also likes Dn'D primer of WISDOM modificator to Armor class /Evasion for monks
    +Mage + Cleric(or tank) - Knight Enchater analogue from Dragon Age - melee spec/spectral weapon/deffencive magic/wards
    +Necromancer(collecting body parts - undead creation/dots/life stealing/curses/bone armor/lich form etc. ):mb summoner+ mag + dark religion augments