Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

So what if a starting node becomes a metropolis?

If a starting node becomes a metropolis how will that effect new players? Will new players still be able to find content their own level? Will new players have to watch out for mobs that can one shot them with a sneeze? This something that wont effect me personally as someone who will be playing at launch but I'm still curious about how it would work for those who join well after the launch.

Comments

• Options
    http://www.mmogames.com/gamearticles/interview-ashes-of-creation-on-building-their-virtual-world/

It’s occurred to me that the node system could be leading to a thematically odd situation, where the most developed portions of Ashes of Creation – its largest and most established cities – are also going to be its most dangerous areas, while the undeveloped wilds fill in more as what you’d expect from a starter experience. Am I understanding this correctly? What does the progression structure through Ashes’ world look like?

You’re basically correct, but keep in mind that our populations are mixed. We don’t have a strictly level 25 zone. Instead, that zone might have some level 10 creatures near the road, some level 20 creatures deep in the forest, and some level 30 creatures up the mountain. These ratios will change based on the Nodes that inform them, becoming generally more dangerous as the Node grows. All this civilization attracts the attention of Things-That-Should-Not-Be. This does not mean that wilderness areas are safe, by any means. Some may be safe-er, but all will have dangers that even the most experienced traveler needs to watch out for. We’re also playing with the idea of Nodes having relationships with Nodes that haven’t reached level 1 (a sort of anti-Node relationship), but we’ll talk about that sometime down the road.

The progression structure is really up to the players. We’re going to have starting areas that are relatively static compared to the rest of the world, in order for new players to get their feet wet and get used to our systems, but after that, we see players going in any number of directions. The bravest will pioneer the wilds and bring back stories of what they’ve seen. Some will build, some will kill, some will put down roots and raise animals. There are a number of paths to progress, and something for every type of player.

I don't think there is much more to say at this point.