Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bots, gold selling : )

Problem of nearly every mmo that have open trade. (Sadly)

What can be done?
1) full nazi ban waves
Pros: People would think 10 times before trying, Gold sellers would limit supply due to people not taking the risk.
Cons: You reduce playerbase as gold buyers that are not able to buy gold would be just regular players, There wil be still idiots who try to bot or boy gold(p2w).

2) No player to player trading (non option)
Pros: no possibilty of buying gold/items ( THE DREAM)
Cons: goes against the idea of trade and freedom this game 'promises'

Well those are the 2 basic options, any other ideas? There is currently no open trade mmo that dont have bots and gold sellers maybe someone here got an interesting idea that could work.

Comments

• Options
    If there is no trading, game is dead. Simple as that.

Gold trading can be stopped if they make a system that checks trades like 100000 gold vs nothing or a dump armor or whatever lower value then the 100000 they should check it.
  • Options
    I know gold sellers and bots were a thing in free P2W games. I'm not sure how much of a problem it would be since this game is subscription base and there's no P2W cash shop.

Gold is part of the economy so obtaining gold will seem very tempting. But from what I've seen, most gold bots just harvest everything and sell them in the market. Then sell the gold to players. If the nodes of gathering are random and limited, it would make gathering something difficult for an AI or script to do. If it requires some sort of intelligence to locate and gather resources, it would be very difficult for people to gather gold with bots.

If you add on top of that, danger in gathering resources (like you have to watch your back for monsters or PKer's) then it would be pretty much unfeasible for someone to invest time in creating a bot strong enough to fend for itself and smart enough to gather resources.

Since this isn't a P2W game, there's no need to have a currency converter (but it would be lovely to have since I'm very much into cosmetics). As they mention in their Q&A, there will be plenty of cosmetics in game that you wouldn't feel compelled to purchase from the cash shop to feel unique. A tangent, I personally hope they keep all cosmetic that fits in the game lore and aesthetic to ingame. And all cosmetic that would fit RL themes, like chiristmas outfits, easter, or techno outfits would be something more cash shop.

Anyways, I think because this game is also subscription base, they could very well hire GMs or the game developers would be player along side of us. If they see anyone spamming chat as bots/gold sellers, they could suspend or ban them.

Overall, I think it would be difficult for anyone to bot this game. And a community such as ours that have credit cards(adults basically) and have funds to play the game (working adult), we are probably mature enough and smart enough not to fall for these gold bot scams (or not scams). If they don't get a response from us as a community, they will stop wasting their time trying to cash grab from us.
  • Options
    [quote quote=17821]If there is no trading, game is dead. Simple as that.

Gold trading can be stopped if they make a system that checks trades like 100000 gold vs nothing or a dump armor or whatever lower value then the 100000 they should check it.

[/quote]

It worked in black desert online there is no trading and game is growing mosty carried by best combat in mmo so far but yeah works there.

Hmm what if i want to boost a friend with 10000 gold ? or if traders just mail spam you with multiple 10x1000 packs, or just the person who buys the gold puts some trash item for the 10000 its no longer detected, and even if the system like that is in place and somehow works they could just trade the value in items and it would look like regular trade.
  • Options
    New idea

What if gold have weight ?

It would be really hard for gold sellers to deal in any large quantity but would also make it harder for players to trade with more expensive items etc. Mail would have to be removed so they cant use it for transfer.
  • Options
    [quote quote=17829]I know gold sellers and bots were a thing in free P2W games. I’m not sure how much of a problem it would be since this game is subscription base and there’s no P2W cash shop.

Gold is part of the economy so obtaining gold will seem very tempting. But from what I’ve seen, most gold bots just harvest everything and sell them in the market. Then sell the gold to players. If the nodes of gathering are random and limited, it would make gathering something difficult for an AI or script to do. If it requires some sort of intelligence to locate and gather resources, it would be very difficult for people to gather gold with bots.

If you add on top of that, danger in gathering resources (like you have to watch your back for monsters or PKer’s) then it would be pretty much unfeasible for someone to invest time in creating a bot strong enough to fend for itself and smart enough to gather resources.

Since this isn’t a P2W game, there’s no need to have a currency converter (but it would be lovely to have since I’m very much into cosmetics). As they mention in their Q&A, there will be plenty of cosmetics in game that you wouldn’t feel compelled to purchase from the cash shop to feel unique. A tangent, I personally hope they keep all cosmetic that fits in the game lore and aesthetic to ingame. And all cosmetic that would fit RL themes, like chiristmas outfits, easter, or techno outfits would be something more cash shop.

Anyways, I think because this game is also subscription base, they could very well hire GMs or the game developers would be player along side of us. If they see anyone spamming chat as bots/gold sellers, they could suspend or ban them.

Overall, I think it would be difficult for anyone to bot this game. And a community such as ours that have credit cards(adults basically) and have funds to play the game (working adult), we are probably mature enough and smart enough not to fall for these gold bot scams (or not scams). If they don’t get a response from us as a community, they will stop wasting their time trying to cash grab from us.

[/quote]

If we look at sub based game like WoW which have 4million players and 5 million bots doesnt look like the sub helped ^^ you would be surprised how complex bots are. Personaly I dont mind effect of the bots/ gold sellers but what I hate about them is world chat spam. Its impossible to ban them all. ;_;

To the last paragraph of yours my answer is; Lets be realistic, mmo communities are made up of bunch of idiots, cheaters, entitled kids, and very few honorable people who wouldn't take advantage of paying for gold/items.
  • Options
    The mentioned on the last stream about a potential contract system. I wounder if they will provide an EVE style bartering system to combat gold sellers such as this. And yes, I know some people will say that EVE was P2W cause you could buy PLEX and sell it for in game ISK.. However, you could be Bill Gates in game and if you didnt have the skills to fly it, all you had were trailer queens.. And no, I didnt forget about the skill injectors. That could be a whole topic in of itself.

Similarin
  • Options
    Preventing botting will be a challenge but there are things that you can do.

- AI script/packet altering detection software will be the major one.
    - Making 2-factor authentication mandatory to play.
    - An easy to use "Suspicious Activity" button built into the UI that can be used to flag suspicious scripting characters. Add a 3 hour cooldown and have incorrect flags increase the cooldown duration, while correct flags shorten it.
    - Have an easy mini-game to resurrect after death, one that is easy to do but random enough to stop scripts from resurrecting after death.

Farming gold is actually inherently more difficult due to the bag space issue. Scripts running from resource to node to resource in order to keep farming materials will be inefficient. Mob farming for gold and items may be easier, but again with beasts not dropping money it will be difficult. With no global auction house the gold farmer will only impact a small area and quickly saturate the node with their farmed resource, reducing its value.

So the game, by design, can easily mitigate the impact of gold farmers if they put their minds to it.
  • Options
    hire 200 GM per server, monitor and destory
  • Options
    [quote quote=17915]Preventing botting will be a challenge but there are things that you can do.

– AI script/packet altering detection software will be the major one.
    – Making 2-factor authentication mandatory to play.
    – An easy to use “Suspicious Activity” button built into the UI that can be used to flag suspicious scripting characters. Add a 3 hour cooldown and have incorrect flags increase the cooldown duration, while correct flags shorten it.
    – Have an easy mini-game to resurrect after death, one that is easy to do but random enough to stop scripts from resurrecting after death.

Farming gold is actually inherently more difficult due to the bag space issue. Scripts running from resource to node to resource in order to keep farming materials will be inefficient. Mob farming for gold and items may be easier, but again with beasts not dropping money it will be difficult. With no global auction house the gold farmer will only impact a small area and quickly saturate the node with their farmed resource, reducing its value.

So the game, by design, can easily mitigate the impact of gold farmers if they put their minds to it.

[/quote]
    sssshh don't give the enemies clues.