Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Mechanics of a Summoner

Hi All,

I have always enjoyed pet-oriented classes, but many games have not catered to the type of game play I find interesting, so I thought I would throw out some ideas and see what you all think.

When a summoner is mentioned, I always hope the focus of the class is on, well, summons. Ideally this means the caster themselves has very limited damage abilities of their own, if any. A game that came close to true summoner game play was Diablo 2 with the necromancer, where one could have large armies of skeletons or focus on golems which were stronger but less plentiful. The player’s abilities should focus on controlling minions and enhancing what they do. The variety of summoner abilities would focus on different minions for varying situations and defense abilities for the rather fragile caster. A summoner is understandably hard to balance because the minions are the ones in danger (at least in PvE), and at what point would the number of summons negatively affect visibility and game-play of others?

I propose that there be no hard-cap limit on the number of minions a summoner can have. To balance this, each summon could have long cast time, take mana for intial summon and then also drain mana from the caster over time. Let’s do away with the summon and forget mentality and focus on the resource management and summon ability/position orchestration. Interesting game play could come from this type of resource restriction. The player could have a mass of minions for a short amount of time for harder fights, one or two for longer (if the minions are not killed and are controlled well) or any combination in between.

Let me know what you think and if you have any improvements or ideas of your own!

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    This sounds pretty cool honestly. Only time will really tell us what their intentions for summoners will be. It could be we get a very pet oriented class but I wouldn't be surprised if we see something more in the way of conjuration either. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

The horde management idea seems very cool though I get the feeling this would only work if every single player was a summoner. As in even with the restrictions you've listed it still seems drastically overpowered against all other classes. The idea seems to stretch from a summoner-centered game perspective which makes sense considering your interest in them. Maybe something like that will happen at a very high level and we can see some interesting battle mechanics come from that. Lots of people like you are ridiculously interested in the summoner class so I hope that Intrepid can deliver
  • Options
    Thanks Adam, I am glad you liked the ideas.

I am sure this class could be balanced with the other classes as it is more of a numbers thing. In PvP, if a summoner makes a large number of weaker minions, other classes could counter with their AoE abilities. Rogues with stealth would have an easy time getting directly to the summoner and taking them out.

The largest balancing issue I see is with PvE. I would say a summoner should not be able to tank dungeons with minions, unless maybe they pick the tank as a secondary class choice giving minions more health? As far as questing goes, most games are balanced so that every class can solo the quest content. Fights with monsters using AoE may prove more difficult for summoners where as a hard hitting mob could prove more changing to a mage.
  • Options
    The Summener is also one of my favorite classes.
    But what for me makes or breaks the class is aesthetics. Basically the look of the summons.

there are games where they are either really cute pets, small goblins or boring golems/elementals.
    This is what simply breaks the class for me.

What makes the class for me are detailed humanoid types of summons.
    Be it either a beautiful Nimph, a bad ass demon or undead soldier.
  • Options
    The necromancer from Diablo2 was awesome as hell its self. as far as I know that class was unique to most games out there, in terms of summoning capabilities and the balancing. I'm onboard with this idea!
    @sailawayeb
  • Options
    @Vaelore

I absolutely agree that the aesthetics of the summons are paramount to the success of this class. While I am actually a fan of the elemental summons and golems, undead, demons and other creatures are fine too as long as they look good. One should also be able to tell what the role of the summon is by ho it looks. Large bulky creature should be more tanking, etc.

@Nekros_666

I am glad you also got to enjoy some of the summoner glory days with the D2 necromancer :).
  • Options
    What kind of creatures will summoners be able to summon?
    Summons will reflect the summoner’s race. And summon skins will be available.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14luppZ3Ub8jmcw_aK65QWxYY4xa8qAo9zRfpYWBxOXE/edit#
  • Options
    We know next to nothing about the summoner so far. Will they be minion masters with every skill being a different summon and flooding the field with them. Will they concentrate on one single summon with buffs and debuffs to support? Will they have only limited amount of summons at once? Will Summons actualy be rare but very powerfull and having a long cast/animation time, like knight of the round summones in Final Fantasy 7?

Questions over questions
  • Options
    Look on twitch for ashes of creation
    Then look in their past videos
    Select 19/05 video.
    Enjoy ;)
  • Options
    I found it interesting that groups of summoners might be able to come together to summon a larger minion for destroying a metropolis.
  • Options
    I think it would be kewl to see two multi summoned pets fight it out.
  • Options
    From the bits I've heard on the livestreams it sounds like you might have a single thing to summon that would evolve when you level with a sort of tree system for the evolutions.