Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Missing Archtypes?

I am curious to know if there is going to be any class that will relate to the monk or warlock Archtypes in this game.

I always like the idea of unarmed combat and when it comes to casters I like the sort of nercomancy dark magic stuff. I find it a bit of there is no mention of any of these kinds of play styles in the game.

That being said I do see the possibility of either these two within the already existing Archtypes. Like an unarmed fighter or a mage that has the skin spells for necromancy/dark magic, or summoner maybe having the same roll a Warlock could have but maybe not so dark magic like.

Just a thought I'd like to share and maybe have answered down the line.

Comments

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkupil0DHww&feature=youtu.be&t=223
    I don't think you're familiar with the class system so I recommend you watch this.
  • Options
    I understand how the classes would work. All I am curious about is if we have the option to go unarmed combat (like a Monk type class) or if we have anything that would allow us to use dark like magic. Not that not having either of these options will break the game for me. And I understand the whole 8 races to 8 classes to 8 subclasses deal so the only way to add classes like these would mean making it 10x10x10.

Again it's just a question and a small bit of hope that I can play a big hulking tank punching down monsters or a nercomancing pirate.

Either way the game looks awesome and I am totally hyped to see it fully developed.
  • Options
    Well, we honestly have no idea how any of the classes will play. The game is still in pre-alpha. Unarmed may be available for fighters, or maybe using fist weapons? As for necromancy, the summoner class <em>may</em> scratch that necromancer itch kind of like how the necromancer from Diablo ii could go with a skeleton build, or a golem build (or both). Maybe there will be optional spell effects, or maybe none of the above. We just don't know.

[quote quote=18172]I understand the whole 8 races to 8 classes to 8 subclasses deal so the only way to add classes like these would mean making it 10x10x10.[/quote]

It doesn't have to be that way. Theoretically, there's nothing stopping it from being 6 * 8 * 10. 8 * 8 * 8 is just nice because it has plenty of choice without being too overburdening on the devs (in theory, it'd be easy if class>subclass>race). But still, 512 combinations is a lot. Everquest has 113 combinations (I think, but I've never played that game), Lineage 2 has 243 (ditto with the last message) and World of Warcraft has 335 (111 if you don't count every spec as it's own class, but you shouldn't). So with almost as many combinations in AoC as in all the others listed combined: I'd be surprised if you can't find something you can't enjoy.
  • Options
    [quote quote=18172]I understand how the classes would work. All I am curious about is if we have the option to go unarmed combat (like a Monk type class) or if we have anything that would allow us to use dark like magic. Not that not having either of these options will break the game for me. And I understand the whole 8 races to 8 classes to 8 subclasses deal so the only way to add classes like these would mean making it 10x10x10.

Again it’s just a question and a small bit of hope that I can play a big hulking tank punching down monsters or a nercomancing pirate.

Either way the game looks awesome and I am totally hyped to see it fully developed.

[/quote]

Seems than the Cleric may have some "dark" spells in their book. That could possibly mean that classes could be enhanced with dark magic, giving an existing archetype the flavour you wish. But we need more informations from the devs on that regard. Nothing had been clearly stated so far.