Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Deru Run Run!

Come around and hear yourself the tale of Deru
Deru run run run, Deru run run!
No matter what they say this story's true

Yeah, his name's Deru
Yes, the story's true!
Sit down and lend an ear

He bought himself a freehold on some higher ground
He didn't think to check for trolls around

Yeah, on higher ground
Yes, some trolls around
And when he saw them there,

He came screaming through the town in the dead of night
I've never seen a dwarf in such a fright

Yeah, the dead of night
Yes, in such a fright
Into a ship he went,

Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I found this particular song while visiting a tavern known as "The Unicorn's Saddle" (perhaps a jab at how worthless and stupid the patrons are). Normally, my visit to such slimy establishments are short, and shortened by how many times I'm cat-called (14 in this instance). As I was turning to leave however, this song caught my attention. It was unique, and oddly charming. I figured that with the insistence that it's a true story, it warranted an investigation on my part, since no one knew, or was willing to tell me the origin.

I figure that if it really did happen, it must have been a long time ago. The "town" that was mentioned in the song is now the bustling metropolis we know today: the mercantile hub of the world. Based on this observation, the song must be well over 100 years old.

I started by investigating the "high ground" mentioned in the song. There was a hilly area to the west of town, so I started there. Sure enough, after a few hours of walking around, I stumbled on a troll den. The locals say that they're a constant problem, so they often hire guards if can't handle them themselves.

Still, that didn't prove the story true. So my next stop was to the Tax and Excise office to see if I could dreg up old records to find a "Deru". At first the clerk wouldn't hear any of it. That was, until I greased her palms. Say what you will about these greedy, avaricious, and warmongering merchant states, they are reliable as their tax records.

After digging for what seemed like ages, I finally found an (unofficial) tax document from about 200 years ago. It mentioned an "Orrin Deru," a brewer. I asked the clerk if there was an official document from the time period. She told my that it probably didn't exist. Apparently, 10 years after the document was written, the town was besieged and razed (3 guesses as to who did it, those zealots). I liberally offered more money for more information on this Deru, but she wouldn't touch the job. So that was the end of my search. The trail went cold. Still, you can find me whistling the tune from time to time.

-Ludalor the Explorer

Comments

• Options
    ((Sung to the tune of <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0dikX80Ed8">Da Doo Ron Ron</a>))