Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Gating for Crafting

My husband watched, and then regaled me with facts about, the 'cast yesterday while I was at work. I still need to watch it myself, but that'll come tomorrow when I have a day off. Anyway, his love for and passion about the entire crafting process (which delights me to the tip of my cute blue/green toenails) led to a long discussion about crafting in other games, and I asked him a question he didn't know the answer to.

It's a simple question, actually. As the devs are designing it, crafting is going to be similar to another spec that we carry; we put points into it, we progress, we learn harder and rarer recipes as we go ... but. My question is: Will crafting be gated behind a character's level? For instance, assume I make a weaponsmith. She trains, she learns, she gathers, she smelts, and she keeps going ... until she realizes that her character level (1) is not high enough to learn the next tier of recipes/whatever.

I had thought it'd be exquisitie if I could make a couple of characters that were wholly devoted to nothing but their craft; however, to do that, crafting would have to be not gated by character level.

Do we know, yet, whether leveling crafting will be gated?

Comments

  • The way they were talking, I get the impression its a horizontal rather than vertical system.
    It a question of unlocking abilities.
    You may have to level skills up individually, but I dont think it will apply globally.

    But there does appear to be a point distribution system that will control your effectiveness.
    So you will choose between master of one and terrible at many or mediochre at all....and anywhere between.

    Of course I could just be projecting my hopes into the interpretations of the last stream.
  • This will be more SWG like with Crafting and no Gating but you do have to obtain recipes for items and obtain the level. That is just you getting better at your craft. Also you will need to work with gatherers and processors so you cannot do crafting solo.
  • also remember resources and specific higher tiered nodes may be in higher level areas than level 1
  • <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/gating-for-crafting/#post-20908">Rune_Relic wrote:</a></div>So you will choose between master of one and terrible at many or mediochre at all….and anywhere between.</blockquote>

    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/gating-for-crafting/#post-20918">Helzbelz wrote:</a></div>Also you will need to work with gatherers and processors so you cannot do crafting solo.</blockquote>

    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/gating-for-crafting/#post-20955">TickledPink wrote:</a></div>also remember resources and specific higher tiered nodes may be in higher level areas than level 1</blockquote>

    Yup, aware of all of these. the idea was to have a couple of dedicated crafters, with my characters I'll actually be playing doing the resource hunting, as well as trading with other players. I'm curious whether the recipes will come from drops, or if they'll be things that you have to learn, then build up.

    So much potential!
  • <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/gating-for-crafting/#post-20908">Rune_Relic wrote:</a></div>So you will choose between master of one and terrible at many or mediochre at all….and anywhere between.</blockquote>

    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/gating-for-crafting/#post-20918">Helzbelz wrote:</a></div>Also you will need to work with gatherers and processors so you cannot do crafting solo.</blockquote>

    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/gating-for-crafting/#post-20955">TickledPink wrote:</a></div>also remember resources and specific higher tiered nodes may be in higher level areas than level 1</blockquote>

    Yup, was aware of all of these considerations. My thought was to have a couple of characters wholly dedicated to a couple of crafts, while using my played characters to gather, and then work with the community via trade/sell/buy to get whatever else I can't do on those individual crafting characters.

    So much potential, I'm thrilled!
Sign In or Register to comment.