Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

UI - Customizable / Theme Based

Customizable / Theme Based UI
The UI is our window to the game world and for some an item they would love to be able to customize to their preference and / or needs. Some games address this in house with the ability to move some of the frames around and others allow these options via third party MODs**. This post is some of my personal ideas / recommendations for a UI with custom options.

**While I loved using MODs in games like WoW I would prefer the features players are looking for would be implemented by the developer and then offered as options in game. As the game grows and matures we could see these options grow**

The core of the UI would be setup with frames (modules), each frame would be movable and include other customization based on its overall purpose. The basic frames would include Action Bar(s), Chat, Mini Map, Player Bar, Target Bar, etc.

From the start the game would have a default UI created by the developer, from there if a player wanted they could customize a theme (or themes) to their preference.

Custom Options (in no particular order)
Scale UI and/or Frames
Move and Resize Frames
Add or Hide Frames (master UI menu page with checkboxes / options)
Add or Hide Frames on condition (Hot Key, In Combat, Out of Combat, etc.)
Adjust transparency / color on condition (Hot Key, In Combat, Out of Combat, etc.)
Swap Theme (Hot Key) some players may want a different theme based on game play
Adventuring / Raiding / PVP / Dungeon / Crafting / Social / Etc.
Change Color or Transparency of Frames and Backgrounds
Ability to copy settings from another frame (color, transparency, etc.)
“Skin” Frames and UI (per frame skin plus option for overall screen skin)
Have generic frames that can used for adding additional art elements (skinned frames)
Ability to adjust frame layers / levels as they relate to other frames
Have snap points on frames
Have option to lock or group frames together
Have the ability to place the frames manually by entering coordinates
Have the ability to adjust frame position with arrow keys
Customizable Tool Tips

Another item related to the UI for some players is additional frames that contain or allow access to game data. Usually this information is in the game but not accessible from the default UI and in some games only accessible via third party MODs.

Optional and Advanced Modules
Info Bars with plug-ins
Clock, FPS, Currency, Location, Menu/ Module Shortcuts, Etc.
Damage Meters
Combat Logs
Cool Down Bars / Timers
Note Book

This is just some ideas I had and wanted the share. Please feel free to add any ideas or suggestions you may have.

Maddstone

Comments

• Options
    So pretty much a Custom UI like WoW?
  • Options
    WoWs default in game UI was pretty limited on customization unless you used mods. The AoC devs have already made mention that they are not keen on opening the game up to outside mods so I am just putting out some ideas of features that could be built in the games UI options or at the very least the pathway put in place during development so these features can be added if / when needed.

I would much rather have the devs create the mods in house as the game grows and the demand is there for them.

Maddstone
  • Options
    In this day and age there is no excuse not to have a UI that, at the very least, lets you move and resize the UI elements as you want them. I have been put off by a lot of games purely because I didn't like the layout of the UI and couldn't change it. Hell, if the WoW modding scene wasn't so extensive I would have quit that game long before I did.
  • Options
    agreed, we need to at least be able to move and resize