Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The case to make for tab-targetting

I enjoy skill shots and pure action combat. But when taking into consideration the corruption system, I had to change my position about why tab-targeting is necessary.

There has to be a way for players to ensure they are targeting the correct target.

The most obvious scenario is some high level player bullying some low level players by getting them to attack them. Causing the low level players to become corrupt. But the same is true backwards. A low level players can jump in the line of fire and make a high level player corrupt. Then his friends surround the corrupted player and kill him. It can be abused both ways, the worst scenario would be a lvl 1 who jumps into the line of fire of a lvl 80 and gets 1 hit KO. The penalties would be huge for the lvl 80.

Having a tab-targeting system is almost mandatory. Otherwise one group of players will cause problems for another group who just want to have a proper PVP or PVE. I can imagine other system that will protect players (like turning off friendly fire/target corrupt players only), so there could be work around beside tab-targeting.

Comments

• Options
    Yup I've been on the receiving end of this kind of stuff in the past, people would summon level 1 pets and run them through my AoE and I'd get penalised for PKing a level 1.

Go tab targeting!
  • Options
    Hmm, I see where you're coming from on this and it does bring up a valid point that I didn't think about before. So if we break it down now, we have this:

Player attacks another player
    <li>Attacking player gets flagged and turns purple</li>
    Player attacks another player and the other player attacks back
    <li>Both players flag and turn purple</li>

Player attacks another player and the other player dies without attacking back
    <li>Attacking player gets corrupted and turns red.</li>
    Player attacks another player and the other player fights back and someone eventually dies
    <li>After a short cool down the flagged player will turn back to green, no penalties.</li>

This could be a strategy mechanic that can be used to roam in groups so the chances of PKing or PvPing are lower due to the risk or killing someone else with an AOE or skillshot skill. On the other hand, it could cause pain points when wanting to have a normal duel but just a random person likes to troll and not let that happen.

They could implement a "dueling system" for things like this so that 2 parties(or individuals) can duel without worrying about damaging anyone else around them. But in the end of the duel everyone is set back to their original health points. Aion did this very well and didn't let anyone interfere with the battle, almost like you were in your own instance but others could still watch.
  • Options
    Hmm, seems like editing your post makes it disappear? Strange, let me post this again then...

Hmm, I see where you're coming from on this and it does bring up a valid point that I didn't think about before. So if we break it down now, we have this:

<li>Attacking player gets flagged and turns purple</li>
    <li>Both players flag and turn purple</li>

<li>Attacking player gets corrupted and turns red.</li>
    Player attacks another player and the other player fights back and someone eventually dies
    <li>After a short cool down the flagged player will turn back to green, no penalties.</li>

This could be a strategy mechanic that can be used to roam in groups so the chances of PKing or PvPing are lower due to the risk or killing someone else with an AOE or skillshot skill. On the other hand, it could cause pain points when wanting to have a normal duel but just a random person likes to troll and not let that happen.

They could implement a "dueling system" for things like this so that 2 parties(or individuals) can duel without worrying about damaging anyone else around them. But in the end of the duel everyone is set back to their original health points. Aion did this very well and didn't let anyone interfere with the battle, almost like you were in your own instance but others could still watch.
  • Options

- Attacking player gets flagged and turns purple
    - Both players flag and turn purple

- Attacking player gets corrupted and turns red.
    - After a short cool down the flagged player will turn back to green, no penalties.

• Options

Attacking player gets flagged and turns purple
    Both players flag and turn purple

Attacking player gets corrupted and turns red.
    After a short cool down the flagged player will turn back to green, no penalties.

• Options

After a short cool down the flagged player will turn back to green, no penalties.

• Options
    Hmm, I see where you're coming from on this and it does bring up a valid point that I didn't think about before. So if we break it down now, we have this...

• Options
    Hmm, I see where you're coming from on this and it does bring up a valid point that I didn't think about before. So if we break it down now, we have this.

• Options
    Hmm, I see where you're coming from on this and it does bring up a valid point that I didn't think about before. So if we break it down now, we have this....

• Options
    This system makes no sense! I can type a standard lined reply but trying to make a longer reply and it just hides my post.

Attacking player gets corrupted and turns red
    After a short cool down the flagged player will turn back to green, no penalties

• Options
    Hmm, I see where you're coming from on this and it does bring up a valid point that I didn't think about before. So if we break it down now, we have this......

• Options

• Options

• Options

They could implement a dueling system for things like this so that 2 parties or individuals can duel without worrying about damaging anyone else around them. But in the end of the duel everyone is set back to their original health points. Aion did this very well and didn't let anyone interfere with the battle, almost like you were in your own instance but others could still watch.
  • Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Sorry, I had to post this in a second post because of the weird forum bug going around... continuation from above.

They could implement a dueling system for things like this so that 2 parties or individuals can duel without worrying about damaging anyone else around them. But in the end of the duel everyone is set back to their original health points. Aion did this very well and didn't let anyone interfere with the battle, almost like you were in your own instance but others could still watch.
  • Options
    Sorry, if you get punished for using AoE carelessly, you shouldn't really get sympathy IMHO.
    And why would you be using AoE in the middle of town anyway, knowing the corruption problems ?
    If you don't want 'almost guaranteed' collateral damage, don't use AoE.

Those areas where you 'expect to do battle' is where you will be using AoE.
    And there is no corruption in those places anyway ?!?!

Corruption only applies outside of designated battle areas.
    Killing outside of designated battle areas....is murder.

Guild wars is already a thing, and combat flagging.
  • Options
    @Rune_Relic

AoE is one thing, but I'm referring to tab-targeting. I'm not making the case for AoE (though it has parallels)

I'm not mentioning any specific place, just scenario. Lets say it's not tab-targeting and more like a fps. You have your cross-fires aimed at a monster while you spam your arrows (single target). A lvl 1 noob jumps between your line of fire and gets killed by one arrow. You're marked as corrupted.

I can see you're probably referring to XiCynx with your comments. So ignore me if that is the case.
  • Options
    @Shirikuryu My Friend.
    I am not arguing the point you could get corrupted this way by self sacrifice of others in the middle of PvE ?
    It is in effect, friendly fire in this 'accidental' scenario
    This is true.

I am just stating this will only happen outside of PvP battle scenarios.
    So my advice would be, think before you act, to avoid murder/manslaughter/misadventure anyway.
    People actually thinking about what they are doing (beforehand) wont be a bad thing in my opinion.

Perhaps you should be able to appeal your case :D
    But that opens up and endless stream of 'it wasnt me...i did nothing wrong...it was them....TRUST ME!'
  • Options
    I do prefer more open ended systems that let the players decide what to do. But systems need a way to guard against abuse.

The scenario is definitely outside of pvp zones, since entering a zone will change your status to combatant.

Like you said, with a non-tab targetting system, its is even more prudent to watch your surroundings for gankers. As they could deploy such tactics, using the tools the developers gave them, but in unintended fashion. Running in large groups may be the only effective deterrent against such sneaky tactics.