Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weather

Dynamic Weather would be a cool thing right?

I ask this because after watching today's stream and seeing the metropolis up close in all it's glory I started thinking, how cool would it have looked if a sandstorm was blowing through or a downpour had just finished and there were puddles and mud here and there.

This got me to thinking how weather could actually impact our game play, obviously this wouldn't affect the under realm (we just hit that milestone) since it is underground...

Possible affects on game play:

<em>Visibility</em>

Certain types of weather would obviously affect the visibility a player has. When you are in a desert with a sandstorm blowing through or in an open plain with a heavy downpour going on, your visibility would be limited in those situations. I think that if dynamic weather were to be added that certain types of weather limit the distance you can see things and this could have an impact on PvP. An example of weather having an impact on PvP would be two guilds preparing to face off in a desert, as they are giving their rallying cries a sudden sandstorm sweeps in and both armies loss sight of each other. One commander decided to charge forward in the last direction they saw the enemy in while the enemy commander decided to use the lack of visibility to their advantage, splits the army in two and performs a pincer attack giving them the advantage. This is just a hypothetical scenario but it would be pretty cool to see commanders outwit each other using environmental factors.

<em>Movement</em>

It would be cool if weather could also have an impact on movement depending on the type of weather and ground you stand on. So if your on a dirt road and a downpour occurs it would turn into mud weighing you feet down ultimately slowing your movement (this could potentially affect caravans and add the possibilities of road development). Another scenario would be a battle going along a creek that players could normally wade through and fight across, well a sudden downpour occurs and in the matter of minutes the creek that players could wade through are now underwater and can't fight back against opponents on land as they are forced to swim across as the water level rises.

<em>Events</em>

For my last topic on weather, i think certain events such as a new dungeon being revealed or some pissed off monsters attacking a village could occur due to weather. An example would be a lack of rain causing a drought and an event occurs where a "band of orcs" start ransacking villages out of desperation for fresh water. Another example of this would be a huge sandstorm on a scale we haven't seen before comes through and changes the landscape, through this change in landscape reveals a new dungeon or raid (or both) and upon revealing these dungeons or raids some kind of event occurs. And through the entire event <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJrVZCbKxsE" target="_blank">darude sandstorm</a> is playing...

This are just some thoughts that I had and felt like sharing.