Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

This is what magic should look like!

I want to share my vision of how magic should look in a game like AOC.

Most mmo's have dull looking magic that has low particle effects and makes the class look boring.
I think that in a beautifull game as AOC the magic should also look out of this world next gen like for example the game INfamous.

The way magic is presented in that game is awesome, the way it moves and leaves a trail.

I think a class like mage,summoner, bard combined with rogue (magician, illusionist, mesmer, sorcerer, echanter, hydro/pyromancer, chronomancer) that gets fast casting for example:
Alot of cool looking dashing and beams/rays send out of its hand glowing effects, elemental magic that surrounds the caster water waves that can be casted.

Let me see what you think.

Pictures doesnt work so heres a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDP73JGaXl4<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDP73JGaXl4"></a>

Also watch this( i know its something impossible),
but the hand movements and casting styles of the scarlet witch is so gracious and gorgues!
I can see a telekinetic class having her skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNQkhTi4onI

Comments

• Options
    i 100% agree, i hate when games have long spell cast times - it makes it boring and feel slow. I would love a game with magic as fun and cool looking as the conduit powers in inFamous! :D
  • Options
    Your Links are broken, on my end at least.
  • Options
    I would like to see more control over how you cast than in typical MMOs. Magic is supposed to be bending reality to your will. But reality resists the change. So it is supposed to be a fight to make magic appear. Pushing one button to get the same effect every time isn't particularly immersive or interesting. It's no different than shooting a gun with a special light effect. Perhaps the Intrepid designers could consider alternate ways to make magic feel magical and satisfying when you successfully cast it. A combination of key presses within a time limit is one way. Using magic resources like Will, Ego, and Id in combinations to get different effects on your known spells is another. Quick cast a fire ball from 1 part Will, Ego or ID. Medium cast armor melt from 2 parts Ego 1 part Id. Ritual cast meteor strike from 3 parts Will power, 1 part Ego, 2 parts Id. Discover different combinations from teachers out in the world. If you run out before they are restored make a tactical retreat.
  • Options
    The links dont show for me either :/
  • Options
    You have to understand that developers want people to be able to play the game on all kinds of rigs. A lot of rigs cannot handle many effects without crashing. Many game designers have included settings where you can turn the effects up and down, so if you want the full show, and your rig can handle it, go for it. But as a default, many effects are tuned low for average computers.
  • Options
    As long as the game doesnt have too much visual noise. Hate when you can't see a damn thing because of mages spamming skills. At least make a way for you to turn down the effects of other players, and no i don't want to lower my graphical settings.
  • Options
    "and no i don’t want to lower my graphical settings", said Bjarkov

Well in some games there is a place to only turn down spell graphics or set the number of spell graphics you want to see at a time.
  • Options
    For the links you can right click and show in new tab and it shows up. (I think my work locks it down or something but it showed that way)
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/this-is-what-magic-should-look-like/#post-25335">Nevermuse wrote:</a></div>For the links you can right click and show in new tab and it shows up. (I think my work locks it down or something but it showed that way)

</blockquote>

Cheers that worked! Was hoping for better pics tbh. Definitely looking forward to seeing more mage gameplay.
  • Options
    I personally would like the idea of a charge system if possible. Say you tap the fire spell to shoot a quick but low power flash of flame but can unlock holding the button for longer time periods to increase the destructive force. This could work for AOE items too where say the longer you channel the attack the larger the radius. You could even have this play in to the amount of stamina the spell requires from the castor.
  • Options
    These are great ideas, i am just sick of the boring tab select slow cast actions. We need something dynamic like black desert combat but then mixed with the vibrance and casting of Infamous!
  • Options
    I definitely Like the Hand movements and for the graphic visual effects I would like some but not to much to point out "HEY I'M RIGHT HERE"

They also said they want to make RDPS ( Range classes pretty much ) to be movable then just sit and cast so fast pace I guess is what they are looking at.

@T-Elf They said URE4 will have a huge client customization when it comes to Graphic settings

@DwarvenGamesmith That would be awesome!! Definitely something I never seen in a MMO

@SaintJoanna That would be awesome class to have! especially if their is visual effects to go with it when you heal