Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

DLC policy!!!!

Does anyone has any idea regarding how the DLC policy would be for ashes of creation...

Will it be like WOW, FFIV where you need to pay for the DLC and the one who doesn't pay for DLC can't have that fun or experience

or it will be more like EVE ONLINE... Where all the DLC are free(one of the best DLC policy till date) ... ... Everyone should experience the same game.. Regardless the players buys it or not...

As it's a subscription base I would prefer it would be free for all... Buying DLC ruins the fun to play together. Basis of who pays to have more fun should be avoided..

Comments

• Options
    Hello MrWolf.

According to Steven, DLCs will not cost extra. If you are paying your sub, you'll be able to play any DLC content.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Wwwoooww... That's a good news.. Then only one thing I can do is to hope they would release it by next year(eventhough I know it won't????)

Thanks
  • Options
    yeah...content is fully inclusive.
    $15/month

I would hope that they have a kickstarter like funding system for expansions and such though.
    Then its upto the players how much they want an expansion,
    and how much they can afford.
    Some players are poor and will struggle with th emonthly fee.
    Some players are whales and have no problem splashing out to help out.
  • Options
    Totally agreed
  • Options
    Why do you add !!!! To all you titles?
  • Options
    [quote quote=23428]yeah…content is fully inclusive.
    $15/month

I would hope that they have a kickstarter like funding system for expansions and such though.
    Then its upto the players how much they want an expansion,
    and how much they can afford.
    Some players are poor and will struggle with th emonthly fee.
    Some players are whales and have no problem splashing out to help out.

[/quote]

This would spoilers to hard ^^
  • Options
    They are also targeting quarterly big patches with minor patches in between. This is not set in stone, but what they are aiming/hoping for.
  • Options
    Just as a side note, you mention WoW, but they never charged for "DLC" patches either. Just expansions. EvE didn't though.

But I think you are asking about expansions, which WoW did and I would bet that AoC will charge for major expansions as well,
  • Options
    [quote quote=23685]Just as a side note, you mention WoW, but they never charged for “DLC” patches either. Just expansions. EvE didn’t though.

But I think you are asking about expansions, which WoW did and I would bet that AoC will charge for major expansions as well,

[/quote]
    Nope they don't. Was said time and time again, subscription will be the only thing you will ever pay, no additional cost will ever creep up for content.
  • Options
    [quote quote=23830]<blockquote>
    <div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/dlc-policy/#post-23685" rel="nofollow">Lethality wrote:</a></div>
    Just as a side note, you mention WoW, but they never charged for “DLC” patches either. Just expansions. EvE didn’t though.

</blockquote>
    Nope they don’t. Was said time and time again, subscription will be the only thing you will ever pay, no additional cost will ever creep up for content.

[/quote]
    If it's common knowledge, then surely you have a link handy to share?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I think this is the only reasonable way to have a subscription based game. You can either go DLC pricing or Subscription, but both turns out pretty bad for new games that are not established yet. I would really like the EVE online systeem as MrWolf named in the start post.
  • Options
    [quote quote=23404]Hello MrWolf.

According to Steven, DLCs will not cost extra. If you are paying your sub, you’ll be able to play any DLC content.

Hope that helps.

[/quote]

Thats exactly what ESO said, then they switched business models and are now calling some content "chapters". The agreement prior was "you pay your sub you get 100% of the content" Which as it turns out was a lie.

Id rather have a model where you can buy DLC with earned game currency (ESO has this). But thats not how AoC is going (for now) but for me I like the buy in box model, a sub gets you perks (bank space, mount cosmetics, char slots no p2 win in game currency) and you get DLC from there.

The current ESO model I like, had they not switched it. I detest dishonest companies and while I hope AOC is true to their model they arent the first AAA MMO to say this. As gamers we have to be super vigilant about how we consume games, we are the only check on gaming companies.
  • Options
    ^^ Many companies would promise you the earth until they have a solid customer base.
    After that point....you're just an online pay check.
    With ever growing exploitation.

Game after game after game after game has done this.
    AoC saying they never will and never would is not a new thing.
    Its the norm.

There is already signs of this.
    Cosmetic items that offer no functional advantage.. enter the most expensive kickstart mount having the longest glide distance AND BEING EXCLUSIVE.
    Early access palmed off as 'server testing'...where if 2 days of XP bonus was in a cash shop, no one would argue it was pay2win.

Im taking everything marketed with a pinch of salt until I see it in flesh and blood.
  • Options
    They are not Blizzard who takes $60 for the Box, $15 a month in sub and then $60 for each DLC expansion.
  • Options
    <div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/dlc-policy/#post-23685" rel="nofollow">Lethality wrote:</a></div>
    Just as a side note, you mention WoW, but they never charged for “DLC” patches either. Just expansions. EvE didn’t though.

</blockquote>
    Nope they don’t. Was said time and time again, subscription will be the only thing you will ever pay, no additional cost will ever creep up for content.

[/quote]

I may have missed that, and since they aren't charging for the box that makes sense.

However.

I think they should consider charging at least something for major content expansions. It's a huge revenue source left on the table, and their motivation will be different than a Blizzard - it's to put the money right back into the game. I don't think Steven's intention is to build a company for the sake of profit first (of course he can't lose money) so he can make decisions much differently than Blizzard.

I think everyone would pay $10, $20 or more all day for major expansion content. I know I would!
  • Options

</blockquote>

[/quote]

I'll be the first to admit I may have missed it, and it would make sense without them charging for the original box.

However.

I feel they should consider charging something for major content expansions.

Steven and Intrepid have a different motivation than somewhere Blizzard... I don't believe Steven build Intrepid with the idea of profit and doesn't currently have to answer to shareholders. Not that he wants to or can afford to lose money on the endeavor, but by charging for expansions, it allows him to put money right back into the game.

Maybe they take a different route, maybe another Kickstarter when it comes for an expansion, etc.

Either way, I'm sure many if not all would be glad to kick $5, $10, $20 or more for major content expansions. I know I sure would!
  • Options

</blockquote>

[/quote]

I'll be the first to admit I may have missed it, and it would make sense without them charging for the original box.

However.

Steven and Intrepid have a different motivation than somewhere Blizzard... I don't believe Steven build Intrepid with the idea of profit and doesn't currently have to answer to shareholders. Not that he wants to or can afford to lose money on the endeavor, but by charging for expansions, it allows him to put money right back into the game.

Maybe they take a different route, maybe another Kickstarter when it comes for an expansion, etc.

Either way, I'm sure many if not all would be glad to kick $5, $10, $20 or more for major content expansions. I know I sure would!
  • Options
    When did you crazy kids start calling content patches and expansions DLC?
  • Options

</blockquote>

[/quote]

But…