Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

KS Pledge Consideration

Hello all,

I apologize if I've missed the answer to some of these questions already. AoC has me very interested and strongly considering a KS pledge of a not insignificant amount. Before I make that plunge and I want to see if I can find the answers to a few questions regarding some of the proposed systems. I've watched all the live streams and media available, including several independent YouTube videos, but haven't gotten the answers I'm seeking.

1) Gathering/Crafting - I LOVED the Star Wars Galaxies system of materials having specific properties attached to them (system 1). Meaning, if you use material X, Y, and Z to create item A - said item A's quality would depend on the material used. This is opposed to material X, Y, and Z always crafts the same Item A (system 2). Has it been said yet if AoC will use system 1 or 2 for their gathering?

2) Open world PvP - Frankly, I hate open world PvP. I don't like being forced into an encounter I don't wish to participate in. It was one of the things that ultimately drove me away from Black Desert Online. If I want to PvP, I want to be able to choose when I PvP, not because some asshat thinks it's time for me to PvP while I'm out collecting resources. While I've read a lot on the flagging system, is there any other measures that can be taken to allow me to PvP on my terms, not on someone else's terms? This ultimately comes down to the mentality of NA serves. To be blunt, NA seems to collect many more people who just want grief others and ruin other's fun, rather then having the "meaningful" interaction those at Intrepid speak of.

3) Guild PvP - Is this also going be a force PvP interaction. Again, I'll use BDO as an example, if Guild X were to declare war on my guild I'm forced into PvP regardless of my guild's response. In order to openly have a war will it require both sides to voluntarily commit to the war?

The open world PvP is my biggest hesitation at this point. If I can get some reasonable assurances that largely my gaming experience will be my preferred PvE experience, it will go along way to adding some comfort level to committing to a larger Kickstart pledge.

Thanks!
-Kiln

Comments

• Options
    Honestly,

I dont think anyone, not even the devs can guarantee you a full pve experience. If you're looking to avoid pvp, this game might not be for you. Even with systems in place to prevent a murder box, people can still gank you. Best thing to do is move in numbers. Make friend or join a guild purely on pve. Go around and gather with your buddies. You will reduce the chances of a lone ganker attacking a group of players.

As for any pledge, someone else suggested this but do the lowest pledge $. U will still get the backer rewards which is very nice.
  • Options
    We will just have to wait to try it out.
    The core of AoC is node v node conflict - PvPers will be motivated to resolve that conflict via PvP combat - meaningful reasons for PvP combat rather than just random ganking, but expect there to be quite a bit of PvP combat going on.

I'm expecting gathering resources to be a a legitimate reason for PvP combat to be initiated because even that will conflict with the interests of other nodes.

If you are primarily a Gatherer, the corruption mechanic + grouping with Adventurers should keep you protected from directly participating in PvP combat. If you are primarily a PvE Adventurer who dabbles in crafting... there might not be much recourse for you.

I'm hoping streaming our gameplay will help highlight asshat avatars.
  • Options
    Shirikuryu,

Thanks for the reply. I should clarify, I'm not asking for 100% PvE experience. While it's what I prefer, I understand it's not the direction AoC is headed. There is a certain level of PvP I understand will be part of the game. I'm just trying to find some additional clarity on systems that will help me avoid it as best I can specific to the three topics in my original post. If no information has been released other than what I've found I guess I'll have to not KS back it. I'm sure I'm not the only one with similar questions. Perhaps if one of the developers see this, they can address it on future live streams?

Thanks,
    -Kiln
  • Options
    Np good sir.

I do suggest 1$ KS if possible. The risk is minimal yet the payoff is great (pet, armor skin and weapon skin, aquatic mount and mount armor all for just 1$.)

Im privy to the same information you have, so I too am not 100% sure how this game will play out regarding pvp. You can try doing discord chat with the devs and ask them your concerns.
  • Options
    The information you got here from Shirikuryu, and Dygz, is accurate for what we know so far. However, there is one correction that needs to be made.

If you want to partake of the backer rewards, without the risk of a huge dollar investment, than you have to pledge at least $25, to become a official backer. You can visit the kick starter page for more detailed info, and make an informed decision! Good luck!
  • Options
    Details on the crafting system are still pretty thin. What we know is that AoC will have a very unique crafting design centered around the idea of crafting as a class system (Artisan class) broken up into a 'holy trinity' of gathering raw materials, refining refining raw materials, and producing finished products. You can choose to be a jack of all trades when you allocate your points in your Artisan class or you can master any of those facets but you will not be able to master everything. We also know that Steven doesn't like RNG in crafting.

A core pillar to the game is risk versus reward. To that end there will be disincentives to attacking non-combatants but there will not be a way to become IMMUNE to PvP using game mechanics. The design philosophy is that this will lead to a more fulfilling experience, having attained something while overcoming risks compared to just being handed everything you're willing to grind for like most other MMOs.

The risk that someone who kills you takes is that they become a free target for everyone to attack and when they are killed they can drop any item in their bag or that they have equipped, the only reward they get (other than Role Playing) is a little bit of the materials you were carrying when they killed you. (I think)

Guild PvP culminates in sieges, if your guild doesn't own anything to siege I don't think there is a way to attack your guild through guild war systems (not that they can't go out and start ganking of course) but I know the least about this item of the three.
  • Options
    smallest pledge package is $25. I don't believe a $1 dollar pledge would get all those backer perks. If so..wow.
  • Options
    [quote quote=24292]Details on the crafting system are still pretty thin. What we know is that AoC will have a very unique crafting design centered around the idea of crafting as a class system (Artisan class) broken up into a ‘holy trinity’ of gathering raw materials, refining refining raw materials, and producing finished products. You can choose to be a jack of all trades when you allocate your points in your Artisan class or you can master any of those facets but you will not be able to master everything. We also know that Steven doesn’t like RNG in crafting.[/quote]

Yeah, the crumbs we've been given about the crafting system is incredibility appealing to me. I'm a huge, huge crafting fan. The PvP / Guild War system in BDO destroyed the enjoyment of that game for me after spending countless hours leveling up multiple crafting skills. I'm just hoping the systems here don't result in the same experience, thus my inquires.

And yes, it looks like a $25 pledge is the minimum necessary to get the backer bonuses on KS. I wasn't contemplating the $25 pledge though. I was looking at a considerably higher level pledge then that. This is why I'm trying to garner as much knowledge as I can before making any commitment.

Thanks for all the replies guys. It's looking like a great community to start a game with!
  • Options
    The corruption debuffs they have in place for griefers seems significant enough that if you don't purposely put yourself in dangerous situations, then you'll like be just fine most of the time, especially if apart of a larger guild.

And if the debuffs aren't enough at the outset, then the devs seem like they intend to raise them until a happy medium is reached (alpha/beta should sort this out, although there are always much fewer of these types in betas than in live games). Lawless prevalent ganking is not the goal from the devs perspective at all. It's possible, but the retaliation could be swift and harsh in this game. The only way you can actually lose your main gear in this game is if you get killed with a corruption debuff on. So that's significant in my mind.

My hope is that the PvPers will stick to the goal oriented conflicts, and the mindless gankers will be just enough to add some intrigue to mundane daily task, but rarely really effect it.
  • Options
    [quote quote=24307]<blockquote>

Thanks for all the replies guys. It’s looking like a great community to start a game with!

[/quote]

The discord is quite active as well and feels kinda like a "non barrens chat" general chat which is nice.

I might have messed the format up on this.. otherwise I'm quoting myself! Lol
  • Options
    I'm still not sure if I'll keep my pledge. Not really sure about open world pvp.
  • Options
    The penalties for attacking non-combatant players sounds like they're going to be serious enough to deter killing PVE players unless you just do something to seriously piss someone off.