Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Character Creation?

Hello! So, I am new here...and recently discovered this games very existence (or rather future existence) from watching random youtube video's. I must say, from what I have read and seen so far about this project AoC sounds very exciting and I look forward to see where this goes.

I wanted to, however, inquire into what the character creation system will be like for the game? I have seen very little about this subject so far, apart from a comment that "they plan on it being on par with Black Dessert". Seeing as this is a very new title, and much is still in development I thought I would discuss my feelings in regard to character creation and make a few suggestions as well (assuming that they are not already being put on the table).

Peronally, the Character Creation system of a game is one of, if not the most important aspects to me. If I am forced to look a certain way, or there are many limitations in what I can do, I am simply unable to feel a connection to the character I am playing in game and lose interest extremely fast.

Unfortunately, many games fall short on Character Creation options and instead, simply provide very limited functionality in this regard. Other games, while offering extensive options (BDO Included in this) are very limited in other aspects of character design. For example: In BDO, while you have a seemingly unlimited amount of face morphing options, and a wide variety of body customization, for males you cannot seem to make the body any "Less Beefcakey" than that of some Jock, with big muscles being unavoidable.

On the flip side of this, there are games with exceptional Character creation (like BnS), that cater to those who like to have an avatar with very small body proportions just as much as those who pefer to be larger. I am an individual who always plays as a male, as it is my preference and am always on the smaller end of the spectrum. Very few games out there currently seem to show respect to those wish to play as this type of character, and instead opt-in for the generic beefy-male look and that alone.

What I would suggest, and this is assuming that you guys are not thinking of this already...is that you provide customization options to suit every type of player (or as close to it as possible.) I am not saying, go full-out like Aion, where you can be a walking twig with a top-hat and monacle, but if someone wants to make there avatar small, with a small body-frame allow them to do so. If they want to create there avatar to be huge with a beefy body-frame also let them do so.

I apologize for posting such a long topic, but this is something that I feel very strongly about and I would like to hear people's thoughts on the matter of Character Creation in AoS and what the developers currently have planned in this regard. The game seems epic so far, with many different things to do and a wide open world (two qualities that I love) and I may even consider donating money to the kick-starter. I just want a bit of information in regard to what is planned for Character Customization before I jump all-in.