Greetings from Doughan

(Sorry if this gets posted twice, but forums doesn't show my previous posting, although it says duplicate if I use old topic title)
Hello people!

TLDR; Young adult optimistic about AoC, will spend money, played MMO's since 2004, Intrepid Studios looks legit, some concerns.

I'm a 27 year old dude from Norway that's currently psyched about this game. I'll probably go for the 500$ backing tier, but I'm waiting until more information is revealed before I fully decide on the tier. I've been playing MMO's since EQ2 (my favorite) and the last few years I've grown really tired of the current trend within the MMO market, mostly regarding lack of innovation and new technologies and I really think player-driven content is the best approach to refresh the genre. Been trying out Eve, but it's hard to get into the game due to its age and complexity, especially since I didn't follow the game since its inception.

I'm not new to Kickstarter or other crowdsourcing projects, I was really hyped for Everquest Next and enjoyed Everquest Landmark until management fucked over that project, which was a shame. I am optimistic about Intrepid Studios, not just because of their passion and refreshing perspective, but also because Steven is privately funding the game and that they have funding to complete the game regardless of Kickstarted status, which means that over time the game will be developed according to their vision anyway. Their timeline also seems realistic, no paid access until late 2018, which means almost 3 years of development before the hypetrain crashes their servers and spews the normal toxicity due to lack of understanding of the insane amount of work that's needed to reach a gameplay state that feels solid.

It is not without any concerns that I back this project, I've been burnt before and know all too well how easy it is to fall for developers promises during their marketing and crowdfunding phases. However, Kickstarter is an investment, not a guarantee, so I really hope my investment will pay off and that I'll be able to provide useful feedback throughout the test stages.

Best regards,
Doughan

Comments