Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

An idea for handling character death

Since angel and demon characters are available the designers are suggesting that heaven and hell exist in this world. The designers have an opportunity to make character death more interesting than a minor delayed respawn at the closest save point. They could send the character spirit to an afterlife, heaven for good aligned characters, hell for corrupted PKers and Jeff. In the afterlife the character is offered a choice bewtween instant respawn with huge negatives or journey through the afterlife to complete a quest(s) of enlightenment/atonement/being Jeff. At the end of the longer journey success means resurrection with bonuses. Failure means resurrection with no bonuses and no negatives (reward for trying to make amends for being Jeff.)

Comments

• Options
    What about purgatory?
  • Options
    [quote quote=25010]What about purgatory?

[/quote]

Personally if this kind of thing were possible, rather than just heaven or hell, I'd give the players options over different 'afterlife' destinations.

Christian heaven
    Hell / Hel
    Purgatory
    Valhalla / Norse heaven
    Tian / Chinese (bureaucraticesque ) heaven
    Egyptian heaven
    etc, etc, etc.

Meh, you get the idea, anyway if you eventually bought options like this in, you could start out small, but you could keep on extending small different scenarios and different content to keep people engaged.

Awwww! it'd mean that when a 'new' afterlife gets released, you could end up with people choosing to offer themselves up as a sacrifice. :D

"Take me to the arena where no-one gets bad karma for pking, I will die a glorious death!"
  • Options
    Hmmm I actually played a game where they did this....I just don't remember which game it was. It was ok as a mechanic, but overall kinda meh.
  • Options
    Considers what would happen if you die too near a Lich