Options

Separate User Client

A client, separate from the game, that the player could use to create an AoC-like object (i.e. models, animations, textures, NPCs); Additionally, providing a feature that allows them to upload the content to the community where it can be subjected to a(n) approval/disapproval filter. Lastly, Intrepid Studios could browse popular content that (based on their discretion) could be modified and integrated into the game.

Comments

  • Options
    It would allow them to focus more on developing systems/mechanics, provide a new avenue for community involvement and give a larger pool of assets to draw from for future environments.

    *only the active player base should be able to vote on content

    **assets could be categorized by type and the player whose asset is integrated could receive a unique title and/or cosmetic set.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    This would be great, they could make 2 or 3 different clients to allow for different types of content creation or game interactivity,
    monster\player, king, God. The king client would control boarders, armies, taxes, buildings cities etc.... , the god client would allow players to add monsters, weather, magic etc.... Players could pledge a king and a God for some kind of benefits, all the content added would have to undergo some kind of peer developer review of course to make sure it was tasteful and added to the game.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    Making different tiers of the client available based on merit would provide an extra layer of competition and incentive to create better content, however, I think that the initial tier should only have the means to create smaller scale assets so that it is more easily subjected to peer/developer review. Thank you for your input.
  • Options
    Alsandair, I'm afraid that is not entirely what the OP meant.

    The problem with appointing a player to be in control of something that is easily exploited is a risk.
    Therefore I don't see any similar systems being added in MMORPG's as a direct result.
    Of course, the community-made content source is always beneficial to the developers.
    They can pick out the ripe cherries, so to speak, and implement them in the game at their own discretion as OP said.

    I'm keen on that idea.

    Thus only one client would be necessary, think of a simplified modelling/scripting tool for players to make content with.
    There are a handful of games that have pulled this off successfully, albeit some time after release of the game itself.
  • Options
    Elder scrolls have always had a rather large modding community.
    Arguably the reason the franchise became so popular.
    It would be good to have a standalone design system, with the potential for extremely vetted future use.
  • Options
    Rewarding different tiers of the client to users for their assets that are integrated into the game could provide an extra layer of incentive among the community content creators; something beyond just a base need to compete and gloat, a utility they could strive for that would increase the overall quality of the community submitted assets.
  • Options
    Gosh darn it, but this would definitely encourage me to learn more 3d modelling.

    *Mahoosive cheers for the idea*
  • Options
    Megs said:
    Gosh darn it, but this would definitely encourage me to learn more 3d modelling.

    *Mahoosive cheers for the idea*
    Thnx
  • Options
    Instead of making a client, I'd say there will be a lot of places/websites where people will post their own items/content, if by any chance IS will want to integrate it into the game they will contact the authors. I do understand the idea though, would've been nice.
  • Options
    Well in another thread I did mentioned a "mission architect" that City of Heroes/Villains implemented that might be something up your alley. It was a self contained system, that allowed players to create their own story arc's and offer small rewards that can be placed and was instanced. It was interesting as players can run through player run stories of characters regardless if it was lore approved or not and it kept players busy with a in game rating system that made sure the best content creators was up top.

    The only issue is to make sure a reward system is in place that would not upset the economy, as it became a farming tool at one point. I highly recommend that the studio takes a look at implementing the feature or having it designed to be put in post launch as it helps pve only oriented players to do something else interesting if they get bored. If you give the tools to the players they can create some interesting content and would have the work cut out for the developers.

     
  • Options
    Tomoyuki said:
    Well in another thread I did mentioned a "mission architect" that City of Heroes/Villains implemented that might be something up your alley. It was a self contained system, that allowed players to create their own story arc's and offer small rewards that can be placed and was instanced. It was interesting as players can run through player run stories of characters regardless if it was lore approved or not and it kept players busy with a in game rating system that made sure the best content creators was up top.

    The only issue is to make sure a reward system is in place that would not upset the economy, as it became a farming tool at one point. I highly recommend that the studio takes a look at implementing the feature or having it designed to be put in post launch as it helps pve only oriented players to do something else interesting if they get bored. If you give the tools to the players they can create some interesting content and would have the work cut out for the developers.

     
    Stellar idea Tom; there was a feature like that in Neverwinter, and it was implemented to great affect within the community even though the game overall was lackluster.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    Tomoyuki said:
    Well in another thread I did mentioned a "mission architect" that City of Heroes/Villains implemented that might be something up your alley. It was a self contained system, that allowed players to create their own story arc's and offer small rewards that can be placed and was instanced. It was interesting as players can run through player run stories of characters regardless if it was lore approved or not and it kept players busy with a in game rating system that made sure the best content creators was up top.

    The only issue is to make sure a reward system is in place that would not upset the economy, as it became a farming tool at one point. I highly recommend that the studio takes a look at implementing the feature or having it designed to be put in post launch as it helps pve only oriented players to do something else interesting if they get bored. If you give the tools to the players they can create some interesting content and would have the work cut out for the developers.

     
    I like the idea of having the player contribute in some sort of way, but I don't really care for the idea of Creating Dungeons/NPC etc... Model's for example 

    Armor|House| House Decorations|Sword|Bows| As Only appearance "Models"
    Dose not include damage% or have any type of stat boost%. Just a framework for cosmetic appearances sure got my vote! Whether that maters or not.  

    Creating a dungeon or even a story that players can easily use to exploited like what @JNS pretty much said I disagree as well. Also got to look up the fact how exactly would the developers implement theses creation for example a dungeon. I'm no developer Nor will I ever claim to know code, but the only way in my eyes for someone to add something like that is to make a "Instance Dungeon" What "Ashes of Creations" creators don't want. They want a "Open World" as much as possible.

    But again I'm all good for people wanting to contribute Models that wont benefit anyone other then just cosmetic's appearances 








  • Options
    @JcTruper Well I do agree it can be exploited, but the developers just have to make sure the incentives aren't really tied to the economy. I think you miss the point of the "Mission Architect" that City of Heroes/Villains employed, which was to help create user content. I don't think it should be put into the game at launch as it would just signal to me that the developers already expect to not have much pve content.

    But the areas are instanced so they can't affect the real world and they don't have to be a dungeon only. Think of it as interactive stories and if I had to guess I would assume @Sussurro was talking about the old Neverwinter (not the mmo).
  • Options
    Actually, @Tomoyuki, the "Mission Architect" was for Neverwinter the MMO and it was used to create some of the absolute best quest-line content I've ever experienced. It detracted from the game in that rather than leveling up from conventional content users chose the more interesting player created/appraised quests.

    I have the urge to say that this feature wouldn't affect the user's interest in AoC's content because the content emerges through player action
    (a sandbox game that gives way to theme-park style content from player/community agency is truly ingenious).
  • Options
    They use the unreal engine which for people is free if I remember right, so you can technically create items without the help of IS and then ofcourse insert them into a forum for people to see.
  • Options
    Tomoyuki said:
    @JcTruper Well I do agree it can be exploited, but the developers just have to make sure the incentives aren't really tied to the economy. I think you miss the point of the "Mission Architect" that City of Heroes/Villains employed, which was to help create user content. I don't think it should be put into the game at launch as it would just signal to me that the developers already expect to not have much pve content.

    But the areas are instanced so they can't affect the real world and they don't have to be a dungeon only. Think of it as interactive stories and if I had to guess I would assume @Sussurro was talking about the old Neverwinter (not the mmo).
    I think that be cool for a fan made questline tbh 


Sign In or Register to comment.