Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Number of abilities available while in combat, and combo attacks

Hi,

Abilities:

The abilities you can use in a game as when well as the tipe of manual/auto attacks basically are what sets the trend for combat.

Now while combat isn't the important part in a game, it is however one a the most important ones. Usually the greatest part of the game play of an MMORPG is combat.

The thing is the abilities that you alone or as a team can have all sum up to what kind of combat you can actually have or what you can do.

Many games, like most dungeon crawler games gives you only 4 or 5 abilities, while other games gives you 4 to 5 slots where you can swap the abilities based on the ones that you have unlocked, the problem with this is simply enough that the less abilities you have at your disposal not just among the abilities you've unlocked, but more importantly during combat, this can very easily become boring.

If you have only 4 or 5 abilities you will become very easily annoyed because your just doing the same things over and over. While if even if you have more abilities but only have access to say 4 or 5 you will also become annoyed easily, because the very first though that will go through anyone's head is what is the point of having a bunch of abilities but you can only use a few at a time.

My main point is basically that the number of abilities that a player can use in a fight should never be to restricted, as it can very easily ruin how much fun and interesting fights can be, that said figuring out how much abilities to give players is not an easy task.

In my opinion the players would need a minimum of about 10 abilities that they could use at a time.

Normal attacks and Combo attacks:

I don't necessarily think that the harder combat is the more fun it is, but I definitly think that your level shouldn't be the main thing that determines your strength in all, but your skill in combat is what should, obviously there should be a difference in strength in between levels, but I'm trying to same is that how strong someone is shouldn't depend on how high a level you are, but it should depend more on how well you know the game and understand the combat.

Most games just have a kind of an auto attack system where every time you attack where normally or with an ability is will always connect, which truthly isn't always that interesting as there usually isn't any thought or skill involved or needed.

Now making a combat system where you have to actually aim your attacks I can understand can not just be hard to get right but also it could be very frustrating for many players that may want to play the game without wanting the hassle of learning how to master the manual combat system.

That is why I think that changing the norm of game combat is a very difficult topic.

Yet I think that even if you don't have aim orientated combat, I think that with combat in game there needs to be some form of skill involved, where I think combo's attacks could make things more interesting, and I'm not talking about 3 or 4 combo attacks like many games have but more than that, what I'm trying to say is that combo attacks shouldn't just be another form of abilities, that work when you get the combo right, it would more like getting the timing just right to follow up on a previous attack for say a small boost in attack speed, movement speed and damage, or something.

Its just to incentives players to actual try to master the combat system of the game.

Thanks for listening

Rag

Comments

• Options
    The skill comes from reacting to your opponent.
    Sadly, many game dot even allow you to identify what your opponent is about to use....so you cant react.
    All you are left with then....is spamming buttons at each other until who ever min maxed the best wins.

Positioning, reacting the right way, at the right time, in the right place....these are the things that should dictate the winner IMHO.
    This is what I call skill.

I agree too few choices can be boring, but unlimited options all available at once, make build choice meaningless.
    This is why I like to see more than just skills buttons and the 3 button mouse heavily employed.
    Left click, left hold, right click, right hold, middle click, middle hold, left+right hold.
    You can shove a hell of a lot of basic attck and defense and interrupt on the mouse alone before we even get to keyboard buttons.
    And frankly, rapid combat systems leave you doing keyboard finger gymnastics that leaves you with a medical condition, when trying to move attack and other things all at the same time.
    :D
  • Options
    I feel like it's time to drop in my tin-foil hat theory here. The combat system in AoC has been asked about a few times now. And Steven's response has been that it's a blend of action and tab-targeting, as well as that it would be different to combat in other MMORPGs. In a recent Q&A on Discord mentioned there's a third part to the combat but not what. When mentioned on a recent stream, it was announced that many Summoners would be able to get together to summon a giant seige golem of sorts. To stop beating around the bush, I'm going to put forward that while the spells will be on a tab-target rail, on top of action-like interaction with their target... Be those targets enemy monsters, or a friendly player's spell.

Yes, what I'm suggesting is a sort of inter-player combo system. And when I say combo, I don't mean simply adding an elemental effect to it. To put it in an example, though just a rough idea, imagine the wall from the combat of the Mage that has been shown. Now, imagine a Ranger firing a shot into that wall and the shot pushing the wall back as well as doing damage. That is the combat I'm effectively creating a conspiracy theory for.

Thanks for reading, and please keep it in mind, this is just my own little theory.

Edit: It has been said that there are skill shots, so don't take what I said about spells on rails to be ALL spells. This system I proposed could be applied to aimed shots as well.
  • Options
    Like @Enfirok has mentioned the combat dose plan to be a hybrid of Tab targeting and free aim. Keep in mind the game is still in Pre-alpha state so its really hard to talk about combat stuff with all the knowledge we currently have!

They said the ability you will have will be about 8-10 ability's

They also said Skill will take a part into the game so for example blocking an incoming attack or dodging etc....

For Caster's or Range classes one of the things they said is they don't really want a stand still cast! So they want you to have the ability to move which is a little concerning In my opinion

because when you think of a mage you think all power full wizard at least I do

if they can just cast and cast and move around for me seems a bit OP just my thoughts can't really know till further development is out!

As of combos I have no doubt they will enter something that you will have to figure out unlike Tera where it tells you which goes well with what!

Also for certain classes I assume they will add a dot system kinda like WOW where that dot can be a debuff or it can be a combo point where if you stack enough and then use a certain move that cost Combo Points you do more damage depending on how much combo points you collected

Best example is WOW Rogue