Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gear from node to node?

HI,
So I was curious as to how the gearing would kind of work. More importantly, the relevance of gear going from node to node.

Say we open a metropolis, we unlock dungeons and raids and what not, we get gear, and than our metropolis falls. Now we start that process over with a new node elsewhere as a community. What happens to the gear being unavailable, pretending for a second that we are max level, and are fully decked out. <strong>WHAT HAPPENS when we get to the new dungeons and raids and are still max level. Will the new gear be inherently better and or "higher item level" persay, or will it be purely side grades until a level cap raise/new content. OR will it work as the new node will be a ""new content"" and the gear WILL be better. </strong>

I just don't want the gear to be like..This class best in slot drops from having control of this node, so we must open it or move citizenship just to obtain "the best" loot. Breaks immersion and I just don't want to go back to being stuck on the gear treadmill first, and enjoying the game/world second.

Any thoughts? I haven't heard anything like this on the Q&A's yet. Let me know!!

Comments

• Options
    Crafting gear?
  • Options
    We dont know if/how vertical progression relates to gear.
    It could be a horizontal progression system (unique/tuned rather than all powerful)
    In which case there is no best....only situational gear.
    Gear will decay anyway and need repair/replacement.
    So in that context, there will always be a gear treadmill...just a meaningful one.

The economy cant function without a demand for gear.
    Raising level caps and making previous gear obsolete, is the normal way to drive the economy with a new gear demand.
    I thought we were moving away from that, but steven has mentioned raising level caps.
    /shrugs
  • Options
    That's what I was thinking and hoping for. Just wanted to see what others thought. I'm 100% on board for moving horizontaly with gear so long as it's all meaningfull. And the decay and replacement needs for gear is relatively a new take on gear replacement, so maybe that will be the main driving factor holding crafting and dungeon hearing in check.
  • Options
    To piggy-back off of what Rune_Relic previously stated, I haven't heard Steven mention level caps, in regard to gear. Though, to be fair, there are a lot of things I miss. Lot's of information out there, which is good, because it means that Intrepid is trying to stay in touch with the community. But, it also means that it's easy to miss new, or old, info about the game.

But, putting aside the how Intrepid may handle the issue of gear progression, and all that entails, here's my take on how they can ensure that items, of all levels, remain important throughout the game. In order to craft an item of a higher level, you need not just the recipe, and materials necessary for the crafting, you also need a lower level item related the item you're crafting.

Example: Falonius the Alchemist wants to craft a lvl 2 potion of invisibility. To craft it, he needs the recipe, and ingredients, necessary, but he also needs a lvl 1 potion of invisibilty, as well. If he wanted to craft a lvl 3 potion, he would need the recipe, ingredients, and a lvl 2 potion. So on, and so on......

This mechanic would encompass all crafting classes. It would ensure that all level items are important, not just for their current use, but future use as well. I think it's a healthy way to make all items, at all levels, viable, and intrinsically important. All of crafters, of all levels, would have a need to fill.

For another example: Falonious, being a lvl 10 alchemist, needs lvl 7, 8, and 9 potions, to complete his lvl 10 potion. He's not in the mood to craft those potions himself, so he goes to the local market to purchase said wares from another (or others) alchemist(s).

Just off the top of my head. If any flaws are evident, they can be worked out, I think.
  • Options
    I'd say the gear due to the node location should be unique, but not completely unusable. as in let's say bow 1 from developed node 1 has a higher attack. bow 2 from another dungeon gives you an increased range.
    plus there's always being able to use several types of gear. each dungeon could contain a different gear, so making the best set essentially unavaliable.
  • Options
    I think gear from dif nodes will look diffrent mainly.
  • Options
    that would be cool, because theres a lot that can be done with doing gear cosmetics from different parts of the world. I'm still curious how they are going to handle gear scaling from level 1 to max, something similar to ESO or something. But i just hope the knock that shit out of the park either way.

The cosmetic aspect would be sweet because it would allow you to show off that you were part of an earlier node, being that beacon of badass that was "there in the early days and slayed that dragon...holy shit!"