Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

World chat would break immersion

No world chat mean you need scouts and spies to know what is going on with other nodes and help to keep this feeling of unkown and exploration.

The chat channels would be like : Guild / Node citizens General, Trade and LFG/ Party / Wispers

What you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    Most MMOs already don't have open world chat; instead, players have to buy a microphone or something to say stuff to the entire world.
  • Options
    I see where you're going, Dynasterz, and agree. In fact, I would go further, and expand upon your idea.

Personally, I would completely eliminate Global/Node/Regional, Trade, and LFG chat (though, I'm not sure if LFG chat was going to be an implementation, anyways).

To make the game truly immersive, General chat (including chat bubbles, of course) and Whispers, would be extremely localized, with Guild, Party, and Raid chat the only types that can span distance.

Like Dynasterz referred to earlier, this make the placement of spied strategically important, while not making it easy. Also, if certain chats were not localized, players would be subjected to spams for "TANK, LFG for so and so!", or "Enchanter, selling enchant!", etc. etc.

Also, in the instance of an immediate attack, the town/city can set off some sort of regional beacon, notifying all players within the area that their help is needed, w/o the reliance of a global chat for warning.
  • Options
    Oh man i would definitely love to be a spy in that settings.

I Also love your alert beacon idea. Someone would have to activate it in a hurry. maybe more than one player. I think of something like Battle Horns scattered across the city and the more players activate them, the more the horns would be heard from afar.

Sounds like an Orc city thing.

mmmm.. could be something
  • Options
    they already announced that there will be all kinds of chats in one of the live streams, though not going into any details

World chat is not good, that's true.
    Zone/City Chat i can see, especially for the higher tier cities.
    Trade Chat, with very localized markets and without a global AH this is needed. Question is how big should it be. Node wide, Zone wide, only in the City?
  • Options
    Yeah i know i watched all the Q&A streams. That is why i posted this; its thier ONLY answer that i dont really like.
  • Options
    I don't think the Global Chat is something we need. But I'd like Node/Guild/Party/Say chat to stay. I like to feel like I'm surrounded by people, even when I can't see them.
  • Options
    Yeah i just want it to be harder for competing nodes to communicate.

They could add a system with birds transmiting messages or something like this.
  • Options
    Why are people concerned about "world chat" in regard to knowing what's happening in other parts of the world when we have twitch, youtube and discord?
    Breaking immersion is subjective, but in a high fantasy world - magic is the key to global communication.
  • Options
    I agree with
    @kasyee

ill like to have those's stay at all means possible otherwise it will be a pain to meet new people and having to go find them just to talk to them no thanks....

But if were talking just a global World chat box no thanks.... it just be filled up with trolls and none since really!

and @Dygz makes a good point there will be other stuff that can just break the immersion
  • Options
    I see where you're going, Dynasterz, and agree. In fact, I would go further, and expand upon your idea.

Personally, I would completely eliminate Global/Node/Regional, Trade, and LFG chat (though, I'm not sure if LFG chat was going to be an implementation, anyways).

To make the game truly immersive, General chat (including chat bubbles, of course) and Whispers, would be extremely localized, with Guild, Party, and Raid chat the only types that can span distance.

Like Dynasterz referred to earlier, this make the placement of spied strategically important, while not making it easy. Also, if certain chats were not localized, players would be subjected to spams for "TANK, LFG for so and so!", or "Enchanter, selling enchant!", etc. etc.

Also, in the instance of an immediate attack, the town/city can set off some sort of regional beacon, notifying all players within the area that their help is needed, w/o the reliance of a global chat for warning.
    I like this idea.

I would really enjoy the idea of having local notice boards and taverns players can pay to put notices up on for set periods of time (24 hours - a week?).

This would add to immersion and the world would feel more lively with players acting like local town criers.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    isthisyoutube
    Is this youtube?  Damn I thought I was on the forum!

Immersion is good but you need to not drown yourself in the game. :v 
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Dynasterz said: '...No world chat mean you need scouts and spies to know what is going on with other nodes and help to keep this feeling of unknown and exploration...' 

This - I would really like the idea of being able to 'report back' to my guild or post a 'report' at some place in my metropolis, which would then automatically appear in all taverns there stating that Glosterian has particular (selectable - such as crafting/dungeon/map?) info that those going to 'X' area might want to ask me about or even Pay me for! :D
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    i kinda thought Intrepid was going to do this tbh ... in order to reduce Zerg-ing and other exploits. 
  • Options
    World chat with 10,000 pop servers would be a place of insanity. If you want to see rapidly scrolling walls of gibberish, we have Twitch chat for that ;)
  • Options
    Ok, I'm going to go again the prevailing tide, and say I would like world chat but I don't want it to be used as someone's private chat channel and spam song lyrics, etc.  If there was some way to moderate it, I'd like it.
  • Options
    I personally want NO World chat but the game SHOULD have a HELP Channel where newer players can ask questions and get help from more experienced ones. EVE had one and it was a godsend! 

I love the idea of complete immersion but you need to be able to help newer players OR people that are trying an mmo for the first time. They won't be all versed in the ways of the Massive Multiplayer Online RPG and they need a place to ask. Although we're mostly a friendly bunch (I think), we might not always pay attention to the /say or /local, Region channels. And I'd hate to lose players just because some of us wanted more immersion. 

As long as we have the option to SHUT/HIDE channels, I'm golden. And PLEASE add / give us an RP Channel ;) 
  • Options
    I just agree w/ the idea of no world chat.  I don't even like a trade chat...

i get @Vhanz point about helping new members.  I do think that's important.  I'm not sure that that is solved with a chat though.
  • Options
    I love the beacon idea.. Like you're out gathering berries and all of the sudden you hear the horn of warning and you're like OH SHI--
  • Options
    Vhanz said:
    I personally want NO World chat but the game SHOULD have a HELP Channel where newer players can ask questions and get help from more experienced ones. EVE had one and it was a godsend! 

I love the idea of complete immersion but you need to be able to help newer players OR people that are trying an mmo for the first time. They won't be all versed in the ways of the Massive Multiplayer Online RPG and they need a place to ask. Although we're mostly a friendly bunch (I think), we might not always pay attention to the /say or /local, Region channels. And I'd hate to lose players just because some of us wanted more immersion. 

As long as we have the option to SHUT/HIDE channels, I'm golden. And PLEASE add / give us an RP Channel ;) 
    Doesn't necessarily need to be a help channel.

I remember some older MMO's used to have a Mentor request button players could click and basically type a question for all experienced/veteran players that had opt'ed into it would receive. Answering the question would then provide that player with a unique currency for basically being a volunteer live customer support person.

This would both provide new players with the guidance they need; encourage older players to help newer players and also prevent a world chat channel from getting spammed by the same questions over and over again.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @Fanzhon: '...I remember some older MMO's used to have a Mentor request button players could click and basically type a question for all experienced/veteran players that had opted into it would receive...'

Actually, as a bit of a 'silver-surfer' IRL, that would be something I'd appreciate. I tend to find that I can manage the gameplay mechanics no problem but get confused by the communications side (how to pick the right channels etc) when I've been in a guild in the past, 'cause I was so used to solo play in the past...so the 'Mentor Button' idea would be great!
  • Options

Make Information Great ....AGAIN!

:/

• Options
    There should be world chat, node chat, and area chat all on a toggle, plus in game VC would be nice too.
  • Options
    The system in FFXI I feel works well. It had zone chat and no global chat aside from guild chat. The big thing was though it did have a looking for group system. Not a group forming system mind you just a system that let ppl globally know you were looking for a group. If we have this kind of system, global chat feels unessasary. 
  • Options
    More immersion the better. I found it the same in other MMO's that it makes life too easy and in an MMO thats so highly dependant on a good community, I can see this working well.
  • Options
    Personally, I'd also be against world chat. 

I do like Dynasterz's suggestion of messenger birds. Hell, in Magical Christmas Land,  I'd take it a step further:

In cities, you have a bird tower or something where you can send a bird with a message or small object to either a specific city (i.e. sending something to a board in the city centre saying "Rivendell is currently low on iron.  Will pay 10 gold per ingot over market" or whatever, or to a specific person.  How far the bird goes influences travel time - next city over takes 10 seconds, other side of the world might take 10 minutes. Possibly make it so that the tower only has birds for allied/neutral cities. If you want to send to a hostile one, you have to find a black market coop.

When it comes to scouting, you send your scout out into the field to see what opposing city X is doing.  He can carry 1 or 2 birds. So he gets out there, see's that they're mustering an army, sends off a bird to tell his people while he tries to either see more or get out of dodge. If he's out of birds, then he either has to get to a city to get more birds, or actually haul ass back home to tell people.

Then, during sieges or whatever, there could be something that the attacking army can do to try to intercept the messenger birds leaving the city (say deploying their own attack birds that have a % chance (probably capped at like 80% if you have a crazy number of attack birds) of intercepting the message and bringing it to the attacking army instead) - so if a city is under attack and wants to request aid, the other army can delay the request by attacking the birds.

May not be overly practical, and of course people will use outside streams to bypass it so that they don't have to wait 10 minutes for the message to cross the world, but it would be a nice touch.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    (And acknowledging @Dynasterz
     also)
    '...Then, during sieges or whatever, there could be something that the attacking army can do to try to intercept the messenger birds leaving the city (say deploying their own attack birds that have a % chance (probably capped at like 80% if you have a crazy number of attack birds) of intercepting the message and bringing it to the attacking army instead) - so if a city is under attack and wants to request aid, the other army can delay the request by attacking the birds...'
    So, can we have another class in game - Bird Poop Remover?
  • Options
    makes no difference to me, first thing i'll do when i log in game for the first time is set up keybinds, fix UI way i want, turn off all but guild/say/party chat....so it has no impact at all on my gameplay regardless.  i don't think they should have trade chat either though.  if the don't have a global and they do have a trade chat, your trade chat will then become the global.  so thus i suggest they do something like FFXIV did, linkshells (custom private invite channels). this way becoming a good trader will be impacted by the contacts you have made and keep.  
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Most chat I have seen has been limited to zones, in this case nodes.  The only chat channels I have seen in other games that were global were for specific purposes like WTT/WTS and player created channels which were created for their own purposes.

I do hope voice chat is not added to the game.  Have never liked in game voip.