Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Homage/nostalgia feel of AoC is what makes me excited

Hi Everyone, been following the game for a few weeks and I can't contain my excitement. Just wanted to share some enthusiasm and hear what you guys are excited about. I am very excited that there are team members who worked on Everquest Next...I followed that game religiously and I am very excited we may see some tenets from that game. Shariff mentioned he gets some inspiration for flagging pvp from Lineage 2...that got me very excited....I remember the good old days over a decade ago having tremendous fun in Lineage 2. My one main hope is that the game has some very hardcore elements to it...Guys, I played WoW for 10+ years and I am totally put off with everyone getting legendaries left and right....items need to be earned and I really hope that there is an essence of seriousness in the game like it was back in 2002-2006 the golden age of MMO's

What are you excited about?

Comments

  • The golden age of MMOs is a subjective thing. But yeah I really hope they make certain things hardcore. Perhaps the aspects of being the president of a node. I feel being the president should be for the few hardcore citizens of that particular node. Of course it will come down to, as people speculate, elections. I also think carying out a siege should be difficult to the point that only hardcore guilds can pull it off. Also the aspect of having a successful siege should be so difficult that it would require alliances between these hardcore guilds. In addition, there should be PvP ranks where being at the very top would require alot of dedication from the player.

    Having things that are extremely hard to achieve would also do wonders for the game since it will create hierarchy, which creates strive. And out of strive, as wise man once said, comes conflict.
  • imo MMOs are losing their orginal thrill because of the over influx of cloned and whale-attracting games, so it's hitting a dip, but again, there are several creative people out there, hopefully intrepid will at least inspire developers to focus on pleasing everyone rather than just the handful who earn them a lot of cash.
    and about the golden age of MMOs, I think what we are seeing is not a peak , but a dip. MMOs can and definitely will be much better than in 2002-6.
  • The thing that gets me Really excited is the medieval type feel from AOC.
    I'm totally a fan of history it interest me tbh!

    So bring a medieval type mmo fantasy game to life sounds amazing!! and the fact that they are making it community driven blows my mind even more!!

    I played wow for 11 years played other mmo's , but WOW consumed my soul lol!!

    Info down below!
  • Since the vast majority of gamers these days are some form of casual, Ashes will need to cater to casual players as well as hardcore players.
    That generation of hardcore challenge/hardcore time gamers who were the core of most games 20 years ago have aged into hardcore challenge/casual time gamers.

    The Military Metropolis - which is ruled by the player of that node who has the most kills- is perfect for being ruled by a hardcore/hardcore player.
    The Science Metropolis is a democracy which can be ruled by any of the playstyles -even causual/casual- if that's what the populace votes for.

    I'm also backing Ashes for the EQNext design mechanics/features.
  • Well the truth of the matter communities tend now to go toxic. I remember when it all started going sour and i'd say it happened alittle later than 2006 but around 2010 and forward is when everyone seemed to just seem to not even care to be social. So many things erased that social aspect of an MMO.

    I think that the MMO community grew too fast too soon. Which from the niche that it once was the players who played them 20 years ago were drowned in by the toxic communities. PvP turned into a gankfest, and any kind of honorable players slowly died down and got replaced partly by griefers.

    Creative and original MMOs stopped being made into production. Ideas were thrown out in order to please the lowest common denominator of player. Companies showed that they don't really care so much about their long term players who helped made it what it is and instead cater to the ones that spend the most money.

    So then we pludged into the "Dark ages" of MMOs
  • ^ I played World of Warcraft for 11 years it pretty much my main MMO

    I hear people talk about other older mmo's how it was all community in WOW I never personally experience that. The guilds were well.... crap! tbh and when you did find the good guild it would end into a BS drama fight between X & X that causes problems to the whole guild. Because now people are picking sides and its just stupid.....

    I just don't do drama shit... So I mainly just soloed

    So I hear about Ashes of Creation and how its going to be Community base and part of me is Excited, because its something fresh and new to me!

    But it also concerns me about if it happened in WOW and that wasn't really community base Whats going to happen in AoC

    But theses are just negative thoughts O.o

    Info Down below!
  • I can't remember what they called it, but I would love to see the dynamic questing system EQNEXT was going to use before they dropped it before closing down.
  • WoW had a decent community on many servers at the start since most of the people playing were part of communities like EQ and other high community involvement games until that point. But, as is now the trend, things got trolly fast. It was so available and so big that every type of gamer type was home there. Unfortunately the loudest and most outspoken are usually the ones who don't really have anything useful to say.
  • <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/homagenostalgia-feel-of-aoc-is-what-makes-me-excited/#post-27153">Seth1996 wrote:</a></div>I also think carying out a siege should be difficult to the point that only hardcore guilds can pull it off. Also the aspect of having a successful siege should be so difficult that it would require alliances between these hardcore guilds.</blockquote>

    Hello, and good day! Based on your statement above, I have a question; not sure it's been asked already, because I wanted to post this while I was thinking about it instead of continuing to read :-)

    With your goal of siege warfare being so difficult that only hardcore guilds can pull it off, it sounds like you're kinda saying "Ok, if you're a casual player, and you don't have the time to commit to being hardcore within a hardcore guild, then you don't even need to think about taking part in a very great component of this world's ongoing structure."

    I say/ask this because, as we know, node turnover is one of the biggest core components of this game, and both the defenders of a node, and the aggressors, will be doing so for a few reasons, not least among them advancing the world's growth, the ability of different crafters to obtain myriad materials that won't necessarily be available when Node A is up and Node B is inactive, and not least, the quests that will arise and fall with the rising and falling of nodes.

    Interested to hear your thoughts on this.

    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/homagenostalgia-feel-of-aoc-is-what-makes-me-excited/#post-27329">JcTruper wrote:</a></div>So I hear about Ashes of Creation and how its going to be Community base and part of me is Excited, because its something fresh and new to me!

    But it also concerns me about if it happened in WOW and that wasn’t really community base Whats going to happen in AoC</blockquote>

    You're right, it began around 2006ish. That's when WoW allowed people to start tracking gearscores, and it just went downhill from there. There was a lot of toxicity inherent in that due to the elitism; "You can't run with us cuz you don't have BiS gear." Social/community guilds fell by the wayside, and then Blizz kinda exacerbated things with the introduction of garrisons. With a garrison, everything you needed could be found within your garrison, mats-wise. Additionally, many recipes that crafters had relied upon became locked behind Heroic/Mythic dungeons -- and they were RNG drops that could be Needed on by, at times, everyone in the group.

    Hold tight, though! The "older" players who once operated within these communities that people hearken back to are not gone! As I've said a few times, you don't just stop gaming because you're getting older. In fact, in my husband's and my case, all our children are grown and some moved off; we have as much time on our hands, now, as we did before we had kids. We also have a love of community that drives us to work with our communities to try and reclaim that feeling. The sense I get from the devs is that they, also, remember these great communities where everyone knew who the best crafter was, who the best RP bard/storyteller was, so on and so forth, and that's what they're trying to bring back.

    I, as the OP, am excited to see what IS rolls out, but I also understand that a lot of their ability to build must translate also into an ability to hold fast to their ideals. Too many games over the last six/seven years have started out with these ideals of bringing back more community-based games, but then people start screaming that there's not enough endgame/raiding/PvP glory activities/so on and so forth. It will remain to be seen whether IS is able to hold fast to their goals in the wash of the eventual decrying of the game as a sucky game because it doesn't have the elements they think <em>should</em> exist in a highly-rated MMO.
  • <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/homagenostalgia-feel-of-aoc-is-what-makes-me-excited/#post-27153">Seth1996 wrote:</a></div>I also think carying out a siege should be difficult to the point that only hardcore guilds can pull it off. Also the aspect of having a successful siege should be so difficult that it would require alliances between these hardcore guilds.</blockquote>

    Hello, and good day! Based on your statement above, I have a question; not sure it's been asked already, because I wanted to post this while I was thinking about it instead of continuing to read :-)

    With your goal of siege warfare being so difficult that only hardcore guilds can pull it off, it sounds like you're kinda saying "Ok, if you're a casual player, and you don't have the time to commit to being hardcore within a hardcore guild, then you don't even need to think about taking part in a very great component of this world's ongoing structure."

    I say/ask this because, as we know, node turnover is one of the biggest core components of this game, and both the defenders of a node, and the aggressors, will be doing so for a few reasons, not least among them advancing the world's growth, the ability of different crafters to obtain myriad materials that won't necessarily be available when Node A is up and Node B is inactive, and not least, the quests that will arise and fall with the rising and falling of nodes.

    Interested to hear your thoughts on this.

    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/homagenostalgia-feel-of-aoc-is-what-makes-me-excited/#post-27329">JcTruper wrote:</a></div>So I hear about Ashes of Creation and how its going to be Community base and part of me is Excited, because its something fresh and new to me!

    But it also concerns me about if it happened in WOW and that wasn’t really community base Whats going to happen in AoC</blockquote>

    You're right, it began around 2006ish. That's when WoW allowed people to start tracking gearscores, and it just went downhill from there. There was a lot of toxicity inherent in that due to the elitism; "You can't run with us cuz you don't have BiS gear." Social/community guilds fell by the wayside, and then Blizz kinda exacerbated things with the introduction of garrisons. With a garrison, everything you needed could be found within your garrison, mats-wise. Additionally, many recipes that crafters had relied upon became locked behind Heroic/Mythic dungeons -- and they were RNG drops that could be Needed on by, at times, everyone in the group.

    Hold tight, though! The "older" players who once operated within these communities that people hearken back to are not gone! As I've said a few times, you don't just stop gaming because you're getting older. In fact, in my husband's and my case, all our children are grown and some moved off; we have as much time on our hands, now, as we did before we had kids. We also have a love of community that drives us to work with our communities to try and reclaim that feeling. The sense I get from the devs is that they, also, remember these great communities where everyone knew who the best crafter was, who the best RP bard/storyteller was, so on and so forth, and that's what they're trying to bring back.

    I, as the OP, am excited to see what IS rolls out, but I also understand that a lot of their ability to build must translate also into an ability to hold fast to their ideals. Too many games over the last six/seven years have started out with these ideals of bringing back more community-based games, but then people start screaming that there's not enough endgame/raiding/PvP glory activities/so on and so forth. It will remain to be seen whether IS is able to hold fast to their goals in the wash of the eventual decrying of the game as a sucky game because it doesn't have the elements they think <em>should</em> exist in a highly-rated MMO.
  • Dear gods, I hate having to retype stuff. Note: DO NOT PUT QUOTES IN YOUR STUFF OR YOU WILL LOSE IT.

    Ok, first up!

    @seth1996, you stated: "I also think carying out a siege should be difficult to the point that only hardcore guilds can pull it off. Also the aspect of having a successful siege should be so difficult that it would require alliances between these hardcore guilds."

    What I'm wondering is, based on this, what role(s) do you see as available for casual gamers? Because their lives and so on are busy and full, does that mean they should be excluded from things which shape their world? We know that nodes are the foundations of the villages/towns/metropoli, and we know that if Node A is active, Node B might not be able to be active, which means you can get a set of mats from Node A which you can't from Node B. Further, changing the nodes also changes the world as far as questing goes. So, if what you're saying is what you believe, then you believe it's a good thing to exclude a larger portion of the game community from activities which will shape these things. Am I understanding this correctly?

    Second!

    @valenores, you stated "Well the truth of the matter communities tend now to go toxic. I remember when it all started going sour and i’d say it happened alittle later than 2006 but around 2010 and forward is when everyone seemed to just seem to not even care to be social. So many things erased that social aspect of an MMO."

    I'd have to agree with you, it started around 2006ish. WoW introduced the ability to check gear scores, and the community changed very quickly. Once, people ran dungeons and worked hard at working together, to accomplish the goals. Then elitism struck, and people began being excluded from dungeons/raids based on their gearscores; in essence, it became "<em>You don't have BiS gear so go suck eggs.</em>" I mean, hell, I remember reaching cap in Wrath, and then having to start heroics for gear ... and being booted out of heroics for my lack of gear, which I needed heroics to get ... you get the picture.

    There is an older community that remembers gaming before it became so toxic. We do remember the communities we built, and the ways in which we worked together. We are older now, and for many of us our kids are grown and we have as much time now to play as we did before we had kids. The reason AoC is so tantalizing to us is because IS is saying "We want to bring communities back into games." Well, some of us remember games that also posited something along those lines -- GW2, for instance. Devs, as they worked on this game, promoted the fact that there were now levels in the zones; if you were max level you could go back to the beginning area with friends, and it would still be somewhat challenging for you. They said there would be no gear grind. They said lots. But then launch came, and people started screaming about no end game. They started screaming about no BiS type gear. In short, nothing that could contribute to their need for <strong>BIG NUMBERS</strong> and an ability to show up on leaderboards.

    The challenge for IS will be facing the knowledge that there will be these players out there who buy the game, not having really researched it, then becoming disenfranchised because it doesn't offer them what they think <em>should</em> exist in a AAA MMO. Previously, devs have changed their stances on their stated goals in order to hold on to a paying playerbase; it will be incumbent upon IS to maintain the stances they've taken, and it will be incumbent upon us, the players who're ecstatic over the possibilities inherent within AoC to support IS in doing just that.

    I believe we can build a game where fun is had, and community is the foundation of much of what we do. It will just require holding fast, on all fronts.

    Just my opinion :-)
  • @Isende I was born in the same year as you ;)

    I came from a time when ensuring no one was left behind was the cultural demand.
    With changes in politics, education and business, that changed to put the individual on a pedestal.
    We shifted from a cooperative herd mentality to a competitive predatory one.
    Instead of ensuring everyone could partake in society, we pandered to the concept of supremacy.
    Part of that I put down to a generational divide.
    Game culture changed, because the worlds attitude changed.
    Obscene wages that were once despised became flaunted as a status symbol.
    It heralded a new era of pure greed where profit came before people.
    And people as community were thrown away.
    When culture and community became a thorn in the side of personal endeavour.

    In our youth we demand adventure and freedom.
    We expect to do what we want, when we want, however we want, and go where we want.
    We are completely self obsessed.
    It is the era of entitlement and demands, like the child who screams and stamps their feet, and then gets their way.
    It is when we fight to carve a name for ourselves and give us a sense of self worth and social position.
    Pushing the boundaries to find limits......where alas...no one pushed back to define them.

    As we age, we gain insight/hindsight/foresight and understanding of the nature of those around us.
    We ponder and recognise the flaws in the world around, and especially the flaws within.
    With that comes wisdom and an appreciation of cooperation.
    We look beyond ourselves and realise the world isnt about self survival, its about mutual survival.
    Then we see the monster the world has become.

    Ashes allows me to see the dream that was, is not forgotten.
    Sleeping, silenced maybe, but now I see it waking.
    This excites me. It fills me hope that the world I once new is not lost.
    It wakes a dangerous thought that perhaps, just maybe, I am not the only relic from a bygone age.

    I hate you by the way....I said i wouldnt post here again...if this post doesnt post I guess I havent.
    :/
  • FUBAR or am I barred ?
    Defo FUBAR.
  • @rune_relic, are you asking what fubar means?

    It's an acronym for "f***ed up beyond all recovery". It's in the same vein as afu -- all f***ed up, and snafu, which is "situation normal, all f***ed up" :-D
  • I would like to see a harsh death system, something that makes you above all else NOT want to die. It makes it thrilling to explore, and makes you a better player, because if you want to keep the friends you make you better be able to deliver. It also makes it paramount to make friends. The original EQ made me make friends, and they are friends still today.
  • @Mazikar I agree that would be nice it really brings meaning to your character when theirs a price to pay when you die so it really gives you a lot of choices should I go for that chest down the alley or should I just leave it alone stuff like that its nice Risk= Reward or death lol either way it brings a whole new type of experience

    Kinda like Dark Souls xD!!
  • Isende my dearest.
    I wont quote you, for fear of invoking the wrathful forum god, that I am currently at war with.
    I was merely speaking out loud at the forum god.
    You can safely ignore my rambling and move on ;)
  • @rune_relic

    *laughs at herself*

    Oh! I see!

    *moves on* Ta!
  • I like that there will be no add-ons like DPS meters, which killed many grouping opportunities. I remember the days where people just grouped up and worked thru content. No one got rejected for not having<em> leet </em>gear and certain stats. I liked when people just worked together on a common enemy. I'm hoping this will bring back that sense of community.
Sign In or Register to comment.