Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Animal Husbandry - What do we know so far

**UPDATED 22-Sept-2018**

Not sure if there is already a post about this, if so, can someone please point it out to me. ???? I'm REALLY interested in Animal Husbandry and I'm looking to gather a list of everything we know about how the system will work, so that other "breeders" can be excited with me. ???? I'll start this off with what was revealed in today's live stream and if people add additional information to the thread, I'll update this initial post. ???? What we know so far:
- There will be a tree of its own to discover based on what pairings we choose
  Rare mounts can be bred some of which may never have been seen on the server
- Breed livestock and mounts for their stats.
- Different classes of mounts breedable so NO Chimera :( lol
- Can't breed limited time mounts like dragons
- Genetic lines, Different combinations will effect the stats and out come
- Time of year will have some effect
- Will mounts have unique traits? (source Death'sProxy Q&A 2017-05-17)
    - Yes, mounts will have unique traits that you can try and breed into lines.
    - Unique mounts out in the world that you can go out and try and breed with.
    - Won’t be relegated to just mounts, will include pets, livestock.
-  Animal Husbandry Video Part 1 by Sunfrog   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LOealJmlpQ&t=7s A lot of great info. I'll make a summary when I have time and put it below. For those who commented they had audio issues.

Community Questions with Answers
Sylvana? Can you give more information about breeding? Will mounts have unique traits?
  1. Yes, mounts will have unique traits that you can try and breed into lines.
  2. Unique mounts out in the world that you can go out and try and breed with.
  3. Won’t be relegated to just mounts, will include pets, livestock.

Community Questions awaiting Answers.
How does Will Taming Mechanics work?
Is there a race to be?
How many levels will there be before Mastery?

Comments

• I still need to watch yesterday's Q&A.

But from 19/05/2017 Q&A (or was it 17/05/2017?), they said you can breed livestock and mounts for their stats. So farmers rejoice.
  • Oh yes thats right :) so exciting!!
  • However, they also said that there isn't going to be any complex genetics or anything similar. I bet we'll be able to breed for things like color and stats, but things like dominant or recessive traits aren't going to show up.

...Maybe we'll get that later on? A guy can hope.
  • @1pwny

I'm a bio-major so something like genetics isn't that complicated.

Since they said they aren't going that route, I felt a little sad.

It's pretty easy if they go with the basic mendelian's genetics. I can already think of a pretty simple system, though I don't do computer programming so I'm not sure if it would be difficult to code.

My idea is basically:

Mount
    Stat1:HP
    Stat2:MVSP
    Stat3:Random...
    Etc.

When you bred mount1 + mount2, each stat will have a "marker"

Put a probability marker "a" or "b" to represent "a" likely and "b" unlikely.

If you get "a" + "a" stat or "b" + "b" stat, the odds are 50/50.

If you get "a" + "b" stat, the odds are 75/25.

------------------------

An added system to husbandry would be the following:

Genetic variation skill: Results of bred mount stat +/- X% of original value.

Mutation skill: Stat3/4/5/etc has a chance of changing to a new stat.

Training: % add a new stat line.

etc.

-------------------------------

Anyways, I don't know if doing something like this is "difficult" in terms of coding. It does add RNG to mount breding, but I think they already are considering a sort of RNG anyways so it's not a wild idea IMO.
  • Shirikuryu I would love it if they took that approach. But it doesn't sound like the way they are going tho. But who knows.
    So keen for more info on it!
  • It's going to be a blast making new animals.
  • Thank you for this thread.  I also would like to see a breeding system in place of some kind but not just for mounts.  Could there be a need for other livestock as well for meats, hides and other materials that could be used fro crafting.

I live in a state that is rich in agriculture and I may be asking too much from a game but building on the sense that these regional nodes can define markets I think farms/ranches could be a big part in the economy.  And yes there is a huge difference in a farm and a ranch.  But to expand on the economy comment, how cool would it be to know that a region could be well know for it's cattle that produce quality meat or that there is a medium community that has exceptional horses.
  • They've said in one of the kickstart QnA's , that you'd be able to breed livestock as well as pets and mounts.
    http://www.aocwiki.net/Death%27sProxy_Q%26A_2017-05-17#Sylvana.3F_Can_you_give_more_information_about_breeding.3F_Will_mounts_have_unique_traits.3F  

I'm intested in how the taming mechanics work.. I hope it's something similar to Ark Survivals Taming / breeding system.  Not only could you tame aggressive TRex's and other dinosaur  that required you shoot them with tranquilzer darts, and then feed them sedatives and their favorite foods, while there knocked out.   Ark also had passive taming where you had to sneak up on the most docile creatures  to not scare them to feed. You had to know what the food was to be most effictive. 
     Also the mating / growth stages of the babies were fun as well.  So it was more than pressing a button and having a full grown mount  pop out after the designated time (like in Black desert)
  • I'm ready to play ff7 again lets breed chocobo's
  • They've said in one of the kickstart QnA's , that you'd be able to breed livestock as well as pets and mounts.
    http://www.aocwiki.net/Death%27sProxy_Q%26A_2017-05-17#Sylvana.3F_Can_you_give_more_information_about_breeding.3F_Will_mounts_have_unique_traits.3F  

I'm intested in how the taming mechanics work.. I hope it's something similar to Ark Survivals Taming / breeding system.  Not only could you tame aggressive TRex's and other dinosaur  that required you shoot them with tranquilzer darts, and then feed them sedatives and their favorite foods, while there knocked out.   Ark also had passive taming where you had to sneak up on the most docile creatures to not scare them in order to feed them. You had to know what the food was to be most effictive. 
     Also the mating / growth stages of the babies were fun as well.  So it was more than pressing a button and having a full grown mount  pop out after the designated time (like in Black desert)

I'm intested in how the taming mechanics work.. I hope it's something similar to Ark Survivals Taming / breeding system.  Not only could you tame aggressive TRex's and other dinosaur  that required you shoot them with tranquilzer darts, and then feed them sedatives and their favorite foods, while there knocked out.   Ark also had passive taming where you had to sneak up on the most docile creatures to not scare them in order to feed them. You had to know what the food was to be most effictive. 
  • hmmm, Didn't realize my edit would do  triple post.  yikes!
  • Is this the race to be for Animal Husbandry?  I was reading the AoC Wiki today and it said we'll need to catch animals from the wild to breed and we can do that if our combat skills are high enough because some animals might try to kill us. 

"Honor. Power. Tranquility. Through staying centered their power only grows. The Ren'Kai believe in ultimate focus and controlling their immense power. When a Ren'Kai becomes enraged though, there aren't many men or beasts who can live and tell the tale."

Tranquility sounds like it would be helpful to tame animals and the part about not many beasts can live to tell the tales sounds like it would be helpful to fight them. What do you think?
  • Ah, been waiting for a post like this. I'd have done it myself but I'm lazy.

I truely hope you can get some amazing results through breeding. I want the worlds first legendary wolf by my side.
  • Nephalem said:
    It's going to be a blast making new animals.
    Purple flying rhinosnail.
  • One racoon/wolf and pteradactyl/snail coming up! 
  • What do you get if you cross a dumb bunny with a honey badger?
    [spoiler]I don't know and I don't care. :smiley:  [/spoiler]
  • How many levels will there be before mastery do we know?

I'm thinking,
    lvl 1 creature + lvl 1 creature = lvl 2 creature
    lvl 1 creature + lvl 2 creature = lvl 3 creature
    lvl 1 creature + lvl 3 creature = lvl 4 creature
    lvl 2 creature + lvl 2 creature = lvl 4 creature
    lvl 1 creature + lvl 4 creature = lvl 5 creature
    lvl 2 creature + lvl 3 creature = lvl 5 creature
    etc...
    What do you think?
    That will create a ton of possible creatures at level 10, and just a ton of possible creatures overall. 

What do you think of creatures going extinct? For example, if Black Chicken + White Chicken = Gray Chicken, and Black Chickens go extinct then you won't be able to create Gray Chickens any more. Do you think that will happen?
  • There seems to be a tenant of the game design that nothing lasts forever. I'm worried this means our pets and mounts could die and be lost. Do we have info on that?
  • Ravnodaus said:
    There seems to be a tenant of the game design that nothing lasts forever. I'm worried this means our pets and mounts could die and be lost. Do we have info on that?
    Ooh what if they turn rabid and you get a quest to fight your own mount/pet and kill it?

Like Old Yeller, MMO style.
  • Here's a video I made on Animal Husbandry. I forgot to add that breeding changes the stats of the pets. Kind of like Cryptokitties. The more you breed the longer it takes to have a baby because the animal gets older. Like, it loses stamina.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LOealJmlpQ&t=7s
  • sunfrog said:
    Here's a video I made on Animal Husbandry. I forgot to add that breeding changes the stats of the pets. Kind of like Cryptokitties. The more you breed the longer it takes to have a baby because the animal gets older. Like, it loses stamina.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LOealJmlpQ&t=7s
    I tried watching this but he was too quiet and I couldn't hear what he was saying.
  • I messed up a little. I need to make a part 2 to fix my mistake and add things I didn't talk about. Hmm.. I'll try to speak louder next time.
  • Atama said:
    Nephalem said:
    It's going to be a blast making new animals.
    Purple flying rhinosnail.
    I want one.  Throw in a saddle and PM me with a price when you get it done.
  • Great to see this thread been used I thought it was dead :) I have updated the post with changes.  :) If anyone has any questions they want answer post away I'll add them to the list and see if we can get some answers :)
  • Will different pet types have their own AI or will it be a generic one size fits all blegh?
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Will different pet types have their own AI or will it be a generic one size fits all blegh?
    That's a good question, I am not aware that there is any official info on that yet. If there are pet types like damage pets and support pets, they might have.

In general, I hope they implement something like "behaviour skins" where you choose that your pet will be playful, intimidating and so on. Hope it won't be a generic follower who just runs behind you and maybe these "behaviour skins" will develop randomly and can't be changed. Would also be exiting :smile:

Is there any official info on how taming will work?
  • Hello everyone, my main concrn is the taming mechanics. Im Hoping its like a life skill and not somthing to put skill points into soo we breeders can just focus of breeding and farming. I wouldn't mind if one race is better than another for taming, but what im hoping to see is needing different types of food and lures to tame different creatures.
  • Pinkberry said:
    Hello everyone, my main concrn is the taming mechanics. Im Hoping its like a life skill and not somthing to put skill points into soo we breeders can just focus of breeding and farming. I wouldn't mind if one race is better than another for taming, but what im hoping to see is needing different types of food and lures to tame different creatures.
    Yea, rather than 1 button skill or use this 1 item and then Instantpetisyours!
  • I've never really been into animal husbandry in MMOs as it just felt too "artificial", but you do make the best point @Pinkberry it should take time and skill and not just a button