Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Holy Trinity

My Gaming community and I are really interested in this game, ive suggested this to be our next big game, but i have a few questions that i cant really seem to get a straight answer to.

1. will there be an Holy trinity ie <strong>dps/support/tank</strong> system

2. will there be raiding and dungeons that need holy trinity in order to complete.

For me without Holy trinity its a deal breaker and im sure many others

i like pvp etc but games that rely mostly on that don't seem to keep our interests for very long .

If anyone has link of some reviews /videos that answer these questions could you possibly share them with me thankyou

Rush
xx

Comments

• Options
    Hi there Rush!

This is from the devs:

<blockquote>Will raids be challenging in ashes, if so do you have plans to hire encounter designers?
    I want raids to be very challenging. And dynamic. Good PvE content is necessary in a world as complex as ours. Several of our designers have intimate knowledge of getting this done</blockquote>

There will be tanks, clerics who can heal and mages/rogues who dps. Though it kind of mixes all up with the secondary class. For instance: You can primarily be a tank and secondarily choose a cleric, thus becoming a paladin, who may be able to heal himself.

I got the information from the following document:
    Nivhawk's Known Information doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14luppZ3Ub8jmcw_aK65QWxYY4xa8qAo9zRfpYWBxOXE
  • Options
    nice one !!!

This is good news indeed , im even more hyped for this game now:D

thankyou mate :D
  • Options
    With a Class named Tank and a Cleric it's pretty much possible it will be a Game at least with a trinity

but i think we could see something that needs more then only 3 distinctive roles

i think Steven said in one livestream the intended groupsize to be 8 and that every class will bring something to the group that makes them wanted.

So we may see the first MMO with a Octinity. With 8 distinctive Roles, one for each class. which would be cool and horrible to balance

possible roles
    Tank: tanking, duh
    Cleric: healing
    Bard: Buffing
    Ranger: Kiting
    Mage: big AOE
    Rogue: debuffs
    Summoner: Crowd Control
    Fighter: big single target damage
  • Options
    Parties in MMORPGs tend to have a max of 4, 5 or 6. But, still need the Trinity.
    Trinity is about the minimum necessary to complete the average dungeon. It's not about the maximum. So, there won't be an "octinity".
    In D&D, the Trinity was Fighter, Cleric, Mage.

In Ashes, we'll have to see how focused the tasks, events and narratives are on killing stuff.

I'm hoping there will be plenty of tasks for groups that are Mage/Cleric/Rogue or Ranger/Summoner/Bard.
    We'll see.
  • Options
    It might actually be fun to figure out how to get something done without a cleric, but instead maybe two other kind auf augmented supports. There will be quite a lot of possible combinations and tactics.
  • Options
    @Dygz

I'm pretty sure they said they aim for a group size of 8, talking about dungeon groups. This can of course chance during development. But i think they really try to makes all classes wanted. And i don't mean it in a Tank+Heal + any dd way. but that all classes are key and that if possible they want at least via subclass every class represented in a group. I remember the days in vanilla and bc WoW that if you was a specific class/spec you just were not wanted because there were better choices
  • Options
    <blockquote>In D&D, the Trinity was Fighter, Cleric, Mage.</blockquote>

[Insert obligatory "Fighters are basically useless in D&D" rant]

I'm pretty sure in the last livestream the devs answered this exact question. I think Stephen said that you would see a tank, healer, and dps in a party - however, you might also have an off-tank mage, or a self-healing tank, or something else wonky. I think the holy trinity will be more of a foundation to remodel and build a party off of, rather than an absolute rule.
  • Options
    The way I'm seeing it atm. is that there will be no trinity. In fact there could be only duality. Imagine a team of self healing tank/cleric and a healing CC summoner/cleric. They could push through pretty much anything without worries of being swarmed or getting stuck to a boss. That's only my point of view.
  • Options
    Party max is 8.
    Again, which really has nothing to do with any kind of "x-inity".
    Common tasks, narratives and events happen outside of a dungeon.
    Also, expect tasks generally to be broken up into chunks that don't have to be "Kill all the mobs and defeat the boss."
    As in the art of war, many tasks will be similar to stealing the artifacts powering the shields around the castle/city.

All classes being "wanted" isn't the same thing as all classes being "needed".
    Trinity is about the minimum core classes that are needed to survive encounters in general, not just in a dungeon.
    In MMORPGs, hardcore gamers want the most efficient groups possible in order to prevent wiping and in order to speed run through content. You need at least the Trinity... and then whatever support specs the elitists want.
    In MMORPGs with static quests and dungeons and bosses, you can predetermine which support classes you want and what specs and gear you want them to have. In a world with dynamic changes, that won't be so easy.

Also, since it may take days to defeat some castles and dungeons - just as it takes months to defend or destroy a city- play sessions are going to be about accomplishing as much as you can in waves, not completing a "dungeon" in a couple of hours before the static content resets.
    There will be a range of content from casual to hardcore.
    Casuals don't have the time gather 8 different classes for a dungeon.

There will be a range of groups -from duos to raids- but that has nothing to do with the minimum core classes you must have to defeat a boss, dungeon or raid. And, really, when a spider demon starts attacking your village, nobody is going to wait around for a Trinity to gather. The defenders who are closest to the village will attack the spider demon without thinking about optimal class configuration.
  • Options
    <blockquote> think the holy trinity will be more of a foundation to remodel and build a party off of, rather than an absolute rule.</blockquote>
    *meh* Holy Trinity is never an absolute. It's the easiest and most efficient core combo.
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/holy-trinity/#post-28115">VelvetBacon wrote:</a></div>The way I’m seeing it atm. is that there will be no trinity. In fact there could be only duality. Imagine a team of self healing tank/cleric and a healing CC summoner/cleric. They could push through pretty much anything without worries of being swarmed or getting stuck to a boss. That’s only my point of view.

</blockquote>

A setup like that most likely could burn though anything that doesn't have an enrage timer yet, so dungeons might be a problem. But killing shit will be sloooow. I have run setups like this before in mmo's self healing tank and self healing "dps" buddy. We could kill anything outside a dungeon boss with an enrage mechanic, but it took forever.