Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Build Diversity Question (s)

I was wondering if you could talk on stream about build diversity for class/subclass combos.

Specifically, how might one Ranger/Thief differ from another Ranger/Thief with regard to their active skills, passive skills and modifiers.

With 64 class subclass combinations, that already presents a lot of combinations, but will that extend and branch even further into more specialization and builds for each of those 64. Or does playing a Ranger/Thief pretty much point you into that niche.

Also, with skill modifiers based on secondary class, how many choices will you have for each ability for each subclass. You use the warrior charge ability a lot on stream and compare it with mage secondary for a teleport or thief with stealth. But what about choice within the same class/secondary class combo. Can that charge be modified by multiple thief beside stealth.

Will there be a limit to the number of abilities that can have a modifier or can every ability be modified?

Can you give us some other examples besides the warrior charge ability. Maybe one ability from one class and all 8 (or more) of its variations?

Can you speak to the challenges of trying to balance 64 Main-Sub class combinations? What levers will you have in place to ensure that they are all viable to one extent or another? Is part of your intention that different combinations will be optimal for , PvP, PvE, soloing, raiding, etc?

Comments

• Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/build-diversity-question-s/#post-28063">rmreagle wrote:</a></div>I was wondering if you could talk on stream about build diversity for class/subclass combos.

Specifically, how might one Ranger/Thief differ from another Ranger/Thief with regard to their active skills, passive skills and modifiers.

With 64 class subclass combinations, that already presents a lot of combinations, but will that extend and branch even further into more specialization and builds for each of those 64. Or does playing a Ranger/Thief pretty much point you into that niche.

Also, with skill modifiers based on secondary class, how many choices will you have for each ability for each subclass. You use the warrior charge ability a lot on stream and compare it with mage secondary for a teleport or thief with stealth. But what about choice within the same class/secondary class combo. Can that charge be modified by multiple thief beside stealth. </blockquote>

First, I want to posit that we'll be able to customize our skills a bit before we even choose an archetype. Say we take the Charge skill. Maybe we could modify it go further, or to knock people back further. Now, I would imagine that the archetype system just gives you additional options to modify it with. Specifically, I couldn't name anything (because I'm not a dev), but that's what I would guess.

<blockquote>Will there be a limit to the number of abilities that can have a modifier or can every ability be modified?</blockquote>

Given the way the devs like to do things, I'd assume you have a limited pool of modification points or something, and that you could blow a lot on a few skills or spread them out over a variety. But, again, I'm not a dev, so I'm not sure about that.

<blockquote>Can you give us some other examples besides the warrior charge ability. Maybe one ability from one class and all 8 (or more) of its variations?</blockquote>

It's pre-alpha, man. It's a little early to be thinking about every single interaction that a given skill will have with every archetype.

<blockquote>Can you speak to the challenges of trying to balance 64 Main-Sub class combinations? What levers will you have in place to ensure that they are all viable to one extent or another? Is part of your intention that different combinations will be optimal for , PvP, PvE, soloing, raiding, etc?</blockquote>

<em>In regards to balance:</em> As they've mentioned in at least 1 stream, that's what the Alphas and Betas are for - making sure the game is balanced before the official released.
    <em>In regards to levers:</em> Each class will be able to fulfill different roles, and most will have some utility (like the Mage's ball of light to provide vision). The specifics, though, will have to wait for some testing.
    <em>In regards to combinations:</em> On streams, the devs mentioned that they did want to preserve the "Tank-Heal-DPS" party composition (at least, to a point). However, they also said that they want to make it so that people can be a little more flexible in regards to how they fill those positions, and what classes they use to do so.
  • Options
    <blockquote>I was wondering if you could talk on stream about build diversity for class/subclass combos.

Also, with skill modifiers based on secondary class, how many choices will you have for each ability for each subclass. You use the warrior charge ability a lot on stream and compare it with mage secondary for a teleport or thief with stealth. But what about choice within the same class/secondary class combo. Can that charge be modified by multiple thief beside stealth. </blockquote>

First, I want to posit that we'll be able to customize our skills a bit before we even choose an archetype. Say we take the Charge skill. Maybe we could modify it go further, or to knock people back further. Now, I would imagine that the archetype system just gives you additional options to modify it with. Specifically, I couldn't name anything (because I'm not a dev), but that's what I would guess.

<blockquote>Will there be a limit to the number of abilities that can have a modifier or can every ability be modified?</blockquote>

Given the way the devs like to do things, I'd assume you have a limited pool of modification points or something, and that you could blow a lot on a few skills or spread them out over a variety. But, again, I'm not a dev, so I'm not sure about that.

<blockquote>Can you give us some other examples besides the warrior charge ability. Maybe one ability from one class and all 8 (or more) of its variations?</blockquote>

It's pre-alpha, man. It's a little early to be thinking about every single interaction that a given skill will have with every archetype.

<blockquote>Can you speak to the challenges of trying to balance 64 Main-Sub class combinations? What levers will you have in place to ensure that they are all viable to one extent or another? Is part of your intention that different combinations will be optimal for , PvP, PvE, soloing, raiding, etc?</blockquote>

<em>In regards to balance:</em> As they've mentioned in at least 1 stream, that's what the Alphas and Betas are for - making sure the game is balanced before the official released.

<em>In regards to levers:</em> Each class will be able to fulfill different roles, and most will have some utility (like the Mage's ball of light to provide vision). The specifics, though, will have to wait for some testing.

<em>In regards to combinations:</em> On streams, the devs mentioned that they did want to preserve the "Tank-Heal-DPS" party composition (at least, to a point). However, they also said that they want to make it so that people can be a little more flexible in regards to how they fill those positions, and what classes they use to do so.
  • Options
    <blockquote>I was wondering if you could talk on stream about build diversity for class/subclass combos.

First, I want to posit that we'll be able to customize our skills a bit before we even choose an archetype. Let's take the aforementioned Charge skill. Maybe we could modify it go further, or to knock people back further. Now, I would imagine that the archetype system just gives you additional options to modify it with. Specifically, I couldn't name anything (because I'm not a dev), but that's what I would guess.