Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Please get rid of "MISS" mechanics in combat.

I have seen several "MISS" indications in the recent streams. I would recommend to forfait any miss mechanic in favor of pure evasion/protection mechanics. Full MISS are hard to manage in PvP, and one single miss would break combos without any combo-breaking or counter move performed by the opponent. As we already know there will be counter moves (and even counter-counters, or better and worse counters), the miss mechanic puts all this sophisticated gameplay at risk.

The miss mechanic becomes necessary in those games where sequences of combos are absolutely unbreakable, to give a random luck-rng pure chance to escape a certain and undeserved death to the defender. It is never funny; nor on the side of the attacker that might have been playing a perfect sequence of moves into a fatal combo, nor on the side of the defenders that need to stack "miss" stat (evasion?) on its gear as a pre-tactic, just in order to have a chance to survive endless combos, instead of learning how to evade/counter that combo.

On the other side, if deadly combos can be broken by the defender with skill only, the attacker knows what move or combo to trust, and can evaluate how deep he want to go with his combo, depending on his estimation of the playing skill of the defender. More fun for everyone.

Comments

• Options
    I AGREE I tried asking that over and over. I really hate Combat RNG.

What about loot tables? First Hit takes all? Damage percentage? How do smaller guilds compete with larger ones if it is Damage percentage?
  • Options
    ^
    I tried to ask this too ^^ Big world boss - will we all get something or whaaaat? I hate playing a support class in big events and getting poop because I don't dps.-.
  • Options
    I disagree on that one.
    Macros, rotations and automation relies on predictability.
    Throw in RNG and you force people to adapt on their feet on the fly.

The adaptable will survive.
    They will allow for the unforeseen and use more care.

I guess it depends if you want tactical combat or scripted combat.
  • Options
    In my opinion RNG miss with dmg skills wont change anything mechanic related.
    And miss with ur limited long cd stuns or something similar will give u a random disadvantage which isnt fun at all.
    With action combat like tera has u wouldnt need RNG miss as it requires skill/strategy(/luck) to land a hit in the first place - making it way more realistic, acceptable and gives more meaning to active dodging skills.
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/please-get-rid-of-miss-mechanics-in-combat/#post-28777">Rune_Relic wrote:</a></div>I disagree on that one.
    </blockquote>

We have countermoves, other than dodges (already declared by the devs). With active countermoves, anything that relies on predictability, as "sleeptime" subliminally learned rotations or, even worse, macros, is sure death (unless you're attacking an AFK target). If you don't properly counter-react to the countermove that broke your rotation, you're totally done for, and that's what I am gonna like in this game.

Throw in RNG miss and everything is screwed up, as it's the countermove that might miss NOW, letting the macroed attack to land while the ability of the attacked player would have prevented it.
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/please-get-rid-of-miss-mechanics-in-combat/#post-28777">Rune_Relic wrote:</a></div>I disagree on that one.
    </blockquote>

We do have countermoves, other than dodges (already declared by the devs). With active countermoves, anything that relies on predictability, as "sleeptime" subliminally learned rotations or, even worse, macros, is sure death (unless you're attacking an AFK target). If you don't properly counter-react to the countermove that broke your rotation, you're totally done for, and that's what I am gonna like in this game.

Throw in RNG miss and everything is screwed up, as it's the countermove that might miss NOW, letting the macroed attack to land while the ability of the attacked player would have prevented it.
  • Options
    </blockquote>

We know we have countermoves, other than dodges (already declared by the devs). With active countermoves, anything that relies on predictability, as "sleeptime" subliminally learned rotations or, even worse, macros, is sure death (unless you're attacking an AFK target). If you don't properly counter-react to the countermove that broke your rotation, you're totally done for, and that's what I am gonna like in this game.

• Options
    I think you can have a stun hit every time and then allow counters to being stunned. This is what i would prefer. As long as your Stuns and CCs have a similar cooldown with your stun breakers and anti-CCs this makes for a dynamic battle with people having to manage cooldown and choose the best stun or CC on the fly. None of that involves any RNG. RNG in combat should be how much damage you do within a certain range of damage.
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/please-get-rid-of-miss-mechanics-in-combat/#post-28777">Rune_Relic wrote:</a></div>Macros, rotations and automation relies on predictability.
    Throw in RNG and you force people to adapt on their feet on the fly.</blockquote>

But you don't need RNG when you got real counters and evasion mechanics to achieve this. Macroing in an RNG based MISS system is still possible and effective, as you know if you are playing Black Desert, but macroing in an active, counter based system is pure suicide -- exactly because if you're predictable, your opponent will take advantage of that and break your combo with appropriate counters, and you being locked in the rest of the macro means, basically, that you're dead.

We knew since the beginning that we have evasion moves, and now we Steven has declared we have deep counter mechanics, that involve second-level counters (counters for counters) and different strength counters (with different grades of power). As such, a miss RNG actually gets in the way of this system, as now the COUNTERS are what can miss, and so, macroing becomes MORE reliable.

This is why I don't want an RNG miss, although it's conceivable to land a hit that actually performs 0 damage. In that case, we might even consider a full MISS, as there won't be a 0 damage in well balanced PvP. But a random hit-miss mechanic BEFORE applying the damage would be extremely detrimental to the system, IMHO.
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/please-get-rid-of-miss-mechanics-in-combat/#post-28777">Rune_Relic wrote:</a></div>Macros, rotations and automation relies on predictability.
    Throw in RNG and you force people to adapt on their feet on the fly.</blockquote>

But you don't need RNG when you got real counters and evasion mechanics to achieve this. Macroing in an RNG based MISS system is still possible and effective, as you know if you are playing other games, but macroing in an active, counter based system is pure suicide -- exactly because if you're predictable, your opponent will take advantage of that and break your combo with appropriate counters, and you being locked in the rest of the macro means, basically, that you're dead.

We knew since the beginning that we have evasion moves, and now we Steven has declared we have deep counter mechanics, that involve second-level counters (counters for counters) and different strength counters (with different grades of power). As such, a miss RNG actually gets in the way of this system, as now the COUNTERS are what can miss, and so, macroing becomes MORE reliable.

This is why I don't want an RNG miss, although it's conceivable to land a hit that actually performs 0 damage. In that case, we might even consider a full MISS, as there won't be a 0 damage in well balanced PvP. But a random hit-miss mechanic BEFORE applying the damage would be extremely detrimental to the system, IMHO.
  • Options
    <blockquote>Macros, rotations and automation relies on predictability.

But you don't need RNG when you got real counters and evasion mechanics to achieve this. Macroing in an RNG based MISS system is still possible and effective, as you know if you are playing Black Desert, but macroing in an active, counter based system is pure suicide -- exactly because if you're predictable, your opponent will take advantage of that and break your combo with appropriate counters, and you being locked in the rest of the macro means, basically, that you're dead.

We knew since the beginning that we have evasion moves, and now Steven has declared we have deep counter mechanics, that involve second-level counters (counters for counters) and different strength counters (with different grades of power of overcoming some moves -- some counters can act on everything, others are less powerful). As such, a miss RNG actually gets in the way of this system, as now the COUNTERS are what can miss, and so, macroing becomes MORE reliable.

• Options
    Debuff based misses would be alright I think.
    Like, for example quickly casted short duration blinds. Things like this can be potentially a fun way to bait people into wasting important skills entirely on purpose, without any gambling.
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"></div>Debuff based misses would be alright I think.
    Like, for example quickly casted short duration blinds. Things like this can be potentially a fun way to bait people into wasting important skills entirely on purpose, without any gambling.
    </blockquote>

Yeah, that's totally fine too, as long as it is not "SIMPLY" a RNG to decide whether a correctly performed hit lands or not.
  • Options
    still holding out for non-target combat a-la Wildstar, Tera, Black Desert, and/or the MOBA Smite where "missing" means that you mis-aimed your ability. I can dream...