Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gear Enhancement

Just from the stream today - it was briefly mentioned that gear could be refined /enhanced beyond its base stats but there would be risk/reward involved when choosing to enhance. How do you all feel about it? I imagine a penalty will be gear breakage which I feel kind of meh about. I'm not a massive fan of gear enhancement on top of rarity gear level. If rare quality piece of gear is complicated and challenging enough to craft/farm already then that should be a reward in itself. I personally don't want to be put in a position of like "right ok I need to start enhancing this ASAP to be better".

I prefer that there were jewel slots and you could craft different jewels to enhance in that way so you could choose stats to focus on or whatever.

I mean this might not be the case of course because we don't have in depth details but I'd like to hear the communities opinion on possible gear enhancement with potential "risk".

Or someone to correct me if I'm wrong on what they meant by enhancing beyond rarity. :D

Comments

• Options
    Personally the only gear enhancement I wish to see is something similar to what Ariea Games did with SHAIYA. Incorporate a specific type of gems for your armor and weapons that give direct stat boosts to your gear and one particular gem that gives a flat damage absorption. Basically put to make it simple your armor has like 5 gem slots per armor piece. And let's just say there is 1 absorption gem in each giving 100 flat damage absorption. Assuming Ashes will have a basic armor setup: Helm, Chest, Legs, Gloves, and Boots, that would be 5 Absorption gems. Taking 500 damage away from each hit you take. So if a dragon belches fire at you that deals 2000 damage, with all the absorption gems you end up taking only 1500. Granted more absorption gems the less damage. Maybe make 3 absorption gems the limit that you can put into each piece of armor.

As for the risk factor. In order to put these gems into your gear in the first place you will need a few things:

1. Someone with the profession of Gemsmithing.
    2. Whatever Ashes Currency would be.
    3. A base material to socket said gem.
    4. Gemsmithing Hammers. These would be an item that gives you a percentage chance to equip said gem into a gem socket on said gear. Upon FAILURE the gem is destroyed, the currency you spent, and the hammer will be consumed.

All in all you have to farm for the gems, currency, base material, and hammers. So end-game content is the pursuit of perfected gear with perfected gems.
  • Options
    I Kinda like it in a way! because it involves a risk factor which is unknown right now and its completely optional if you want to take that Risk

So lets say the armor basic max level is 10 , but you can go to 13 levels

Sure those's 3 more levels may give you a bonus stat, but at what cost?
    Also lets say you get a chest piece that is similar but better then your current one well here's your chance to make it better

What do you have to loose? you just got a better gear piece then your current one you might as well take the chance because you might make it better then the one you just got!

just my thoughts :P
  • Options
    @Seemarius I really like this idea it also allows crafters from all background to participate in the enhancement process.

@JcTruper I totally agree that it gives gear an opportunity to be slightly different but I've played so many games where the risk has been gear destruction and that I'm not a fan of especially if I've worked my backside off to craft it xD I wouldn't mind if it was a down grade enchantment if it failed but ach I dunno xD I'll be playing regardless cos there is no p2w aspect to guarantee rngesus. As long as it doesn't go bdo route where world boss gear is best and it takes forever to farm - then you need to combine the two to make it better and has a chance to fail and loose the rare pieces x.x Then the cycle loops - :(
  • Options
    The way I interpret gear enhancement was a little different.

I think what they talked about in that Q&A was referred to as "over-enchantment" (though I know they were addressing a question about slight RNG to crafting).

I know from previous Q&A they said they didn't want RNG in crafting so this means regular gear enhancement will have no risk and great flexibility.

This over-enchantment will break the limits of regular-enchantment with an added risk. I think it's fine to speculate great risk such as destroyed items, but I don't think we should put much emphasis on that alone. There are many possible avenue of risk, it could be the risk of materials you have to invest, could be degraded stats, could be degraded durability, etc. This is interesting because that means there is an element of RNG in enchantment, differentiating it from non-RNG crafting.
  • Options
    I have no issue with chance being in the game.
    But it really depends on the ratio of base:chance and how its applied

I think chance should be mitigated by experience though.
    So rather than making a maxed out powerful weapon even more powerful.
    It should give lesser crafters a chance to create a weapon as a powerful as a master crafter.

Masters already know how to perfect something....they have already overcome/controlled the RNG.
    A master assassin already knows and utilises pressure and puncture points.
    Using RNG as a critical hit to those same pressure and puncture points (he already knows and hits as a master) is illogical.
  • Options
    @Rune_Relic at that point of view that makes since if you already mastered it you shouldn't need to take risk because you mastered it!

@Diura I agree it be a huge pain breaking something that took a week to make it will personally tick me off! My time just got wasted!!
    and I believe they intend to keep that promise of no P2W :P
  • Options
    Like one great man said, with great power comes great responsibility so yea try to enhancing beyond rarity I double dare you c:
  • Options
    The best would be if you overpower so much you armour that it's brought to life and consumes your character as soon as you put it on, controlling it on its own and ultimately forcing you to lift the curse or reroll a new pg :p 

I think that the necessity of having 3 sets of armour because, for example, different kind of elemental resistance,  may be a pain in the storage box, so the gem system may be fine, or, at least, a system were a crafter can change a particular set of stats on your armour/weapon, depending on how much is skilled. Maybe just up to a certain limit, if you want to change those stats a lot, then you'll have to craft the item anew.
  • Options
    Not a big fan of experiencing equip failure due to enhancement, I have to say. I'd prefer to see the idea of risk (which I like, in principle) actualized in a different way. @Semaarius idea of gems breaking sounds nice, for instance.

Rune_Relic said:
    Masters already know how to perfect something....they have already overcome/controlled the RNG.
    Totally agree with this. A master crafter knows very well how to build something avoiding its destruction... while a novice would strive to do the same. I fashion the idea of overcoming the RNG through experience.
  • Options
    Being a sandbox mmo, I would prefer the best gear to be craftable. I hate that games like ESO have made the BIS gear drop sets from raids and dungeons etc. It completely takes away from the immersion. In my mind your supposed either craft gear or commission an artisan to craft your gear to allow you to go out and fight the monsters. We should get some of the materials we require to fabricate weapons and gear from monsters i.e. Dragon scales from dragons.  I personally think that there should be no risk of losing your piece of gear trying to apply an enchantment. Maybe the risk should be in the loss of materials required to overenchant the item, these materials could be rare drops from monsters or other forms of farming. I, like many people, have put tremendous amount of faith and money into this game so i beleive they will get it right but wont be able to satisfy everyone. 
  • Options
    I like the idea of jewel slots but there is also things like reinforced backing, deeper pockets, ect... the idea of material loss for failure seems reasonable to me.
  • Options
    Jewel slots are ok, but kind of cookie-cutter game design at this point.  I think it would be more natural to have upgrades based on Scientific research that leads to better refining techniques, new materials, and improved crafting techniques.  There could also be some form of divine blessing or magical enchantment.  I could even see where a skilled warrior could work with a weapon crafter to make better balanced weapons, or something like that.
  • Options
    I like the idea of jewel slots but there is also things like reinforced backing, deeper pockets, ect... the idea of material loss for failure seems reasonable to me.
    This. I'd love to see enhancements different from the usual, combat-oriented ones.

You could enchant your boots to grant a dexterity bonus, of course, but what about that intriguing permanent silence spell, able to allow you to walk on any surface without making a sound?
  • Options
    Rhoqaro said:
    This. I'd love to see enhancements different from the usual, combat-oriented ones.

You could enchant your boots to grant a dexterity bonus, of course, but what about that intriguing permanent silence spell, able to allow you to walk on any surface without making a sound?
    You could also make so that you'll never slip again on wet floor!
  • Options
    ruairidh said:
    You could also make so that you'll never slip again on wet floor!
    That would be so badly overpowered. What would be the point of even playing a mage then, if conjuring an infernal banana peel under your feet doesn't affect players?
     :#