Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thank you for bringing back the "skill tree"!

I don't know about you guys but the "skill tree" is something I'm most excited about. I longed for a good "skill tree" as one would his first lover. They already had me hooked but now I'm overhyped.

Are you guys as hyped about "skill tree" as I am?

Comments

• Options
    I hope a sort of skill tree like Skyrim. But then even bigger for the skilling. But for the combat skills. Please no, i want to change freely when i want to switch my action bar up.
  • Options
    As a hybridisation mechanic, allowing massive variety and unique builds.
    I am looking forward to seeing more details.
    Sounds good so far.

Especially if weapon, armour can be attuned to different skill tree options.
  • Options
    Skill trees are i? Excellent. I'll need to catch up on the streams to get the full details I guess.

I'm hoping it allows for a lot of variety in your build like the old RO skill trees, rather than the "you can wind up as one of 3 subclasses" style ala WoW.
  • Options
    Yes it would be great to say be a ranger/mage so that depending on what mage school you subscribe to, you could fire either fire/ice/poison arrows, but never all of them so, or the same for a rogue, fire/ice or poison daggers.

I'd like to see the AA system from EQ implemented. So at level 40 you can stop your levelling xp and do alternative advancement, you'd have basic ones, such as increasing core stats, but then class specific ones too, making everyone slightly different.
  • Options
    If the trees form a distribution system, you should be able to add extra point to some skills.
    Skill allocation just controls power distribution then (efficiency), rather than outright power.
    Personal flavour kind of thing.

You would of course require at least one point in any previous branch.
    I would of course like to see counter branches that were alternate branches.
    We have a three way branch in artesan anyway.
  • Options
    This was one of my favorite things about ArcheAge. For those who did not play that game, your class was formed by choosing 3 base skill trees from a total of 10 (120 combinations, many of which had questionable viability, but who cares!). I think having 2 trees of which one is a "secondary" tree might be a better system, and certainly easier to balance. I'd love to see options which are predicated on your particular combination of trees. For example, if you go major Mage, minor Ranger, perhaps you unlock a passive that makes bow weapons deal damage based on magic power instead of physical power.

Also, the developers claim that there will be 64 available combinations (8*8). However, that includes combinations where your main and secondary class are the same. Will this be a thing I wonder? I could definitely see merit to allowing for specialization instead of hybridization, so long as many (but probably not all) hybrid classes are still viable a fair amount of the time.

I really hope that we will be able to level up each of the 8 trees on a single character such that making alts just for the sake of trying other classes is unnecessary.
  • Options
    Hi
  • Options
    I was a fan of the skill wheel used in The Secret World... I'd like to see something more massively complex
  • Options
    @Roshawnterrell Hi :)

@cruseyd For the adventuring class, I believe it's one skill tree. The secondary class is not something you've seen in other games. What they plan to do is have the secondary class add flavor to the primary class. You won't get a secondary skill tree (maybe), but what you will get are option(s) to augment your primary class abilities.

An example would be a fighter with a cleave skill. When they choose their 2nd class as mage, that cleave skill may have options to augment with "fire cleave" or "ice cleave" etc. If you choose a 2nd class as fighter again (double down on the same class), your cleave augments might be "wide cleave" or "cross cleave". That's why the idea is 8*8 = 64 :).

@Rune_Relic Yup. I got a good feeling it will be a distribution type skill tree, my favorite!
  • Options
    A skill tree that branches out seems to follow the idea that has been discussed for crafting. You can be an average jack of all traits or a master of one.

Converting this system to skill trees for class abilities seems to support this philosophy. If you choose to go down one specific path to unlock the highest tier skills it shouldnt be possible to do so for other other paths. There has to be a trade-off, otherwise in time everyone will have all the highest tier skills unlocked which ruins build diversity. It would be cool if you encounter some mages that specialize in close ranged AoE spells while others focus on long range single targets spells for example.

I hope the secondary class augmentations gives in-depth and meaningful effects. The entire second class becomes a cosmetic flavor if it just adds X dmg from element Y. I'm very curious in which way Cleric and Tank as secondary class augments the primary skills. Seems like those would be the perfect secondary classes for pvp and solo builds if the augmentations improve surviviablity.

Hopefully we get a taste of what the skill system looks like soon, I cannot wait to start theorycrafting some unique builds!
  • Options
    @Neviathan
    "Hopefully we get a taste of what the skill system looks like soon, I cannot wait to start theorycrafting some unique builds!"

I feel you man!
  • Options
    <blockquote>Shirikuryu wrote:
    For the adventuring class, I believe it’s one skill tree. The secondary class is not something you’ve seen in other games. What they plan to do is have the secondary class add flavor to the primary class. You won’t get a secondary skill tree (maybe), but what you will get are option(s) to augment your primary class abilities.

An example would be a fighter with a cleave skill. When they choose their 2nd class as mage, that cleave skill may have options to augment with “fire cleave” or “ice cleave” etc. If you choose a 2nd class as fighter again (double down on the same class), your cleave augments might be “wide cleave” or “cross cleave”. That’s why the idea is 8*8 = 64 :).
    </blockquote>
    That list of options for augments is also a skill tree. You're augmenting with skills from the secondary class, like Teleport and Invisibility.
  • Options
    wowfood said:
    Skill trees are i? Excellent. I'll need to catch up on the streams to get the full details I guess.

I'm hoping it allows for a lot of variety in your build like the old RO skill trees, rather than the "you can wind up as one of 3 subclasses" style ala WoW.
    by RO you mean ragnarok online right?