Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Suggestion: crafting/refining/gathering tools

I think we've discussed about having a crafter's skill influencing the outcome of their product. But has anyone discussed about tools having an importance for the quality of the goods?

Similar to combat/adventuring, skills allow for variation. But the weapon will have an influence over the skill performance.

Can we take that same concept towards tools? Example: Working with a copper tool can only produce high quality copper weapons/armor. But if you want to create high quality iron weapon/armor, an iron tool would be necessary. Skill can only take you so far in-terms of improvements. The necessary tool is also required to craft the necessary item.

What do you think? Is it a step too far into complexity or does it add value and depth to gameplay?

Comments

• Dont like the better tools thing in that way.

But maybe tools that enhance your crafting by giving it a + or a tiny difference.
  • this I think would be especially good if it wasn't some much dependent on the skill level of the crafter, that way crafters of any skill could enjoy the benefits, less grinding by making interesting items at all levels of crafting.
  • Well I have been thinking about it a lot
    Dont think its been discussed much though
    :D

If they go for a distribution system rather than power scale system I wont object ;)
  • work clothes / tools vs armour / weapons.
    Same difference.

vs fine clothing / jewellery ?

Craft
    Combat
    Statesmanship ?
  • vestments / talismans for ceremonies ?
  • I'm not an expert at expressing my thoughts well. I didn't mean to pigeon hole the idea towards just a power scale system. It's an idea to give more emphasis on a crafter's tools. Something to give the tools more meaning outside of their utility. Like harvesting different plants might be more efficient with different tools.

It's hard to conceptualize how one would emphasis the importance of tools as one would do with weapons.

What I don't want to see is 1 tool can harvest all resource or one tool can craft all weapons. Some variety and specialization would be nice.
  • well i think every artisan class should have one base set of tools which is used for crafting at all levels, Like a blacksmith with a different hammer doesn't creates better armor, as the skill of the blacksmith should be the important thing not the hammer. But i would support the idea of additional specialized tools for specific things. like an engraving chisel to create socket slots in armors if they go with sockets. Or embellishment tools to create better looking things.
  • We would have to answer the question about how limited is item space going to be before we add many different types of tools to the game. I would like to see tools that give you bonuses to your gathering but not a tool that you must use to gather a specific subtype of resource.
  • Shirikuryu
    You expressed yourself perfectly and its a great point ;)
  • @Rune_Relic
    <3

@Sarill

Though this is off topic, I think inventory space will be limited by weight rather that slots. It would be well if they gave us more slots if this was the case.