Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Concept: Talismans, Sacrifice & Sanctuaries

Epitaph...

Here lies Gwindar; beggar and thief.
A tiny thing of no real consequence to anyone.
Despised in life, but honoured in death.
One who stood firm, when the will of many was broken.
A Saviour of our people.

This pillar of stone, marks her final heroic act, of wilful self sacrifice.
This ring of stones, is a sanctuary to our life, through these Heroes deaths.
Let these dead rest in peace, with dignity and honour.

Know that you stand upon sacred ground.
Draw a blade, or raise a spell in anger, and the wrath of the dead here-in,
shall be swift, remorseless and merciless.

The Sacrifice system....
Some adversaries are so superior, no peoples of any number can defeat them head on.
But there is, and always will be, balance.
There is, and always will be, hope and choice.
Talismans and phylacteries, can appear as an antidote to such things.
Some are tuned and focused with intent, a single purpose to its existence, a gift across time.
But with the use of such great power, comes a great and terrible cost.
For small creatures that try to wield such power, can never survive such an ordeal.

Concept...
The idea is that the use of these talismans are one off and destroy the player(s).
I don't mean meaningless death. I mean only max level characters can use these talismans.
Once the talismans are used, not only are they destroyed, so is the characters that used them (ie deleted).
Some talismans require only one person, some may require a very specific group.
The XP of the sacrificial player(s) determines the power of the talisman.
Cost vs Reward.

Method...
In honour of this ultimate player sacrifice, a temple is created.
A pillar or group of pillars, combine to create an area of sacred ground where they fell.
Upon the stones is carved the names of these fallen heroes, forever remembered.
Upon the stones is marked the midnight star patterns in the direction they head.
The monument is aligned to both sunrise and sunset on that day of that year.
This is to honour the death and rebirth of the community.
This date will thus never be forgotten.

Conditions...
The area around the sanctuary temple is sacred ground.
The size of the area determined by the deads' lost XP.
Blessings here should give a boon.
No combat 'should' take place in this area.
Immortal NPC spirits, modelled after the deceased, will kill anyone who breaks this sacred law and blood oath.
Breaking this law is an affront to both the living and dead community and the corruption for doing so is substantial.

Notes....
I view this as a potential supplementary addition to the existing talisman system, after game release and only if desirable.
This does not bar the use of sacrificial XP levels for other less powerful talismans.
But as there is no full character sacrifice involved, it is outside the scope of this concept.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• i see soooo many problems of a concept like that, although it is a really cool one.

First, no one would sacrifice their main characters. People would grind Sacrifcing Alts to max level

Second, temples would litter the area, honoring Geesus, Sausage2323, DarkLeg00las, KillMe, Sacrifice01 and so on

Third, after enough sacrifices there could be so much sacred ground that PvP wouldn't be possible anymore
  • I agree with @Enrif here Nobody would just kill off their main character and you gotta also think the server is probably going to be huge so their will probably be a lot of graves honoring X players name

its a cool concept just I can also see alot of flaws in it
  • There are a lot of problems with the system as presented, but I like the creative and story-telling elements you are encouraging.

As has already been pointed out, I am afraid that some shrines named after player characters may have odd names that would break immersion, and that is something I would strongly avoid (breaking immersion, I mean).

What I might like to see though, in the game when it is released, are player made shrines to amazing historical events on the server. Perhaps in the last generation, there was a great battle in which both sides fought valiantly. I could see someone claiming a freehold near the battleground to establish a shrine (perhaps a small number of buildings to support it).