Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Point Blank Q's - PvP or PvE or,...?

I would like for a clear answer to the following question:
Is AoC going to be Player vs. Player, or Player vs. Environment?
Will there be separate servers/regions disconnected from each other for these options?
Will regions be off-limits because of PVP barriers/regions that one must travel through?
Will one be prevented from areas/regions if one is not guilded?
Thank you kindly for the input/insight.

Comments

• Options
    Open world pvp, where pvp is incouraged in dynamic zones and discourage outside of these zones. Even in cities you can pvp.

Edit: its both pvp and pve
  • Options
    Hello Ceyarrecks,

Without embelishment or explanation of unasked questions, the game will be PVP in the way that I think you are asking.
    No separate areas. No servers for just PVE.
    Open World everywhere. There wlll be separate servers, but all have the same rules.
    So far, you can go anywhere you want if you can get there. No special blocks to prevent access.
  • Options
    I'm being nitpicky, of course, but...
    I think the arenas will have some restrictions.
    People can't just jump into a 1v1 match.
  • Options
    Well.
    Since I do not subscribe to "hate thy neighbor,"
    I will contact kickstarter to retract my contribution;
    as I was under an incorrect impression of this environment.
  • Options
    lol Dygz! But you could get into the arena by signing up for a match like anyone else, right?
  • Options
    You can't get into the PvP combat area if you don't sign up for PvP combat.
    That is off-limits if you don't want to participate in PvP combat.
  • Options
    Ok I'll give you that one. You probably have to be willing to PVP to get onto the sand. Hopefully not to watch though.
  • Options
    Will I be able to go anywhere except pvp arenas as a pve player, or are players forced into pvp in other places as well? Thank you in advance for information.
  • Options
    You are marked as non-combatant by default. Unless you enter a war zone etc. In which case you will be marked as a combatant. You can avoid these but if someone decides to kill you as a non-combatant they technically can. You however will suffer drastically reduced penalties and they will be marked corrupted making them a bounty hunter target.

Pretty much your protected from everyone but griefers who would kill you in any possible way they could regardless of game mechanics. Like dragging powerful monsters to you etc. Just avoid them war zones eh?
  • Options
    You will be able to go pretty much anywhere you want. You will not be able to escape PVP if the attacker is willing to take the severe penalties that are planned for him. It looks like RPK will be rare. This isn't F2P so considering that, another level of disincentive. Not as many will want to mess their characters up to unplayability. Some still will.
  • Options
    No, Bannith. Combatant flagged is the standard penalty. Non Combatant flagged is 2 times the standard exp debt penalty and possibly some inventory drop.
  • Options
    Something I was wondering, I understand the PvP for caravans, sieges etc. But lets say 2 guilds declare war on each other, do all members become flagged for PvP automatically should they encounter the enemy guild. Or say the 2 guild meet in a field, they go at it, will healers be able to heal their guildies, but because they aren't damaging the other guild members, will they avoid getting flagged?. Or as I mentioned do you automatically become "flagged" to the opposite guild.
  • Options
    I'd say that'd be a nightmare scenario for crafters, in GvG. if going to the vicinity of an enemy guild can get you killed and all your hard earned gold lost. I'd say it'd be more like they can seige and destroy the opponent's guild home or something. stuff like that.
    wahtever it is, it's incredibly tough to get it right. I just hope they can
  • Options
    Iscoed1815
    If guilds are at war, all members of those guilds are at war.
    Regardless of anything.

So yes, to enemy Guilds you will be a combatant no matter where you are or what you do, I assume.
    Steven did go into some detail in one of the videos on twitch.
    But I cant remember everything said.
    He was talking about declaration periods and other conditions similar to sieges.
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/point-blank-qs-pvp-or-pve-or/#post-29347">Ceyarrecks wrote:</a></div>Well.
    Since I do not subscribe to “hate thy neighbor,”
    I will contact kickstarter to retract my contribution;
    as I was under an incorrect impression of this environment.

</blockquote>

PVP does not equate to "hate thy neighbor". You can mark yourself as a noncombatant to discourage people from attacking you as they will receive harsh penalties if they do. At that point there are only certain places or events that would involve pvp for you such as sieges on your city or defending a map objective etc. You're incredibly incorrect to assume that pvp in this game will be anything like you've experienced in a previous game.
  • Options
    PVP does not equate to "hate thy neighbor". You can mark yourself as a noncombatant to discourage people from attacking you as they will receive harsh penalties if they do. PvP is not meant to be a grief, rather they use it to create conflict and change. At that point there are only certain places or events that would involve pvp for you such as sieges on your city or defending a map objective you care about. You're incredibly incorrect to assume that pvp in this game will be anything like you've experienced in a previous game. That being said, solo/group/guild PVP is a crucial part of this game because it is what drives changes within the world. So if you cant even handle that, this might not be your game.
  • Options
    It's an open PvP game with optional PvE content. No safe spots. Penalty system.
  • Options
    <blockquote>Bringslite wrote:
    No, Bannith. Combatant flagged is the standard penalty. Non Combatant flagged is 2 times the standard exp debt penalty and possibly some inventory drop.</blockquote>
    Actually, non-combatant is normal death penalty and combatant is half-normal death penalty.
    Especially since everyone is a non-combatant by default.
    According to the official descriptions of PvP combat.

Ashes is heavily focused on PvP conflict with open PvP combat.
    PvP conflict is crucial. PvP combat is not necessarily crucial. There will be other ways to resolve PvP conflict besides player characters killing player characters.
    But, PvP combat will be a common method of resolving PvP conflict.