Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

On Horse Combat

Not sure if this was made yet, but has anyone seen anything on actually being able to attack while on a horse?

Comments

• Options
    Seems to me that if your horse can be killed (even though they can be respawned), you should be able to attack from your horse.
    People in Wednesday's twitch chat were saying that the devs have said we can't attack from our mounts.

I haven't seen an actual dev quote that confirms that.
  • Options
    I wouldn't see why not as well. For me, I don't see a point in having a horse if you can't attack from it. Especially in those Siege moments where having horses could add to the "military" aspect of the attack. Wonder if they'll change that or not
  • Options
    They said in one of their live streams that u wont be abel to use your player specific skills while mounted, but maybe some mount specific skills.
    Mounts dont really die, they just disappear when u get attacked.
  • Options
    The point of a horse is typically to be able to move faster than a player character can run.
    Same reason why people buy cars.

I suppose there's a visual element for mounted attacks in large scale combat.
    But, horses are not going to add much to a siege.

Kings/Queens/Mayors will have dragons which may come with breath weapons and other abilities that will likely be highly effective during a siege. It's possible that there will be mounts with combat abilities that would be effective during a siege - but the devs haven't mentioned mounts with combat abilities, AFAIK.
    I'd bet that is still under debate among the devs.
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/on-horse-combat/#post-30284">Dygz wrote:</a></div>The point of a horse is typically to be able to move faster than a player character can run.
    Same reason why people buy cars.

I suppose there’s a visual element for mounted attacks in large scale combat.
    But, horses are not going to add much to a siege.

Kings/Queens/Mayors will have dragons which may come with breath weapons and other abilities that will likely be highly effective during a siege. It’s possible that there will be mounts with combat abilities that would be effective during a siege – but the devs haven’t mentioned mounts with combat abilities, AFAIK.
    I’d bet that is still under debate among the devs.

</blockquote>
    The place I saw for horses in siege were to either give faster access inside the city and to help thin out the ground forces outside the walls. Against dragons, horses have no chance lol this I know. But like Uao mentioned, they might have certain skills when on the horse that would do well in that certain situation.
  • Options
    I think The devs said in one of the live Q+As that you could attack from your mount but the attacks would be special mounted attacks not your normal ones. How that looks in game terms I have no idea. Will it be more of a gimick than competative gameplay who knows.

It would be cool even if there was just a gap closing charge with dismount to initiate combat or to retaliate when attacked.
  • Options
    Pretty sure what mounted combat boils down to what will happen is that you are mounted and you will be dismounted by attacks. Maybe that will "kill" your mount and he will despawn probably with a cooldown to reuse.

As ambitious as Intrepid seems, there maybe some mounts or some skills or both that allow for some attacks while mounted in some circumstances. I am speculating from memory of things said in twitches.

Would love more concrete info.
  • Options
      mark 22:59
    STEVEN: Mounts could be, yes, killed by other players. There will be some mount specific abilities that will be had by particular mounts and those abilities could pertain to some combat scenarios, but specifically if you're asking, "Can I use my Ranger abilities while atop a mount?" No. We're not going to be doing that. You won't be able to participate with your class skills while mounted.It's going to be limited to what the mount specifically is capable of doing.
  • Options
    You cannot use your normal skills on a horse but the horses will have some abilities on them.
  • Options
    It would be way to hard to have your normal skills on horseback when programming. Think of the collision, hitboxes etc. Not to mention realism/immersion :)