Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Local Chat - Chat Bubbles?

I played Star Wars Galaxies and the local chat was really helpful for socializing. You could read chat in the chat window, but players also had chat bubbles above their heads. It was one great way to meet people because you could pretty much instantly tell who said what. If they needed help or it was interesting or entertaining you could literally go introduce yourself or offer them assistance. Other MMOs don't have this and I have never had that level of social interaction in any other game after SWG. Will you have this feature in the game? Does anyone else think it would make taverns and town squares more fun to socialize in? Or to socialize at all as other games really don't compel anyone to get to know their neighbors.

Comments

• Howdy!!!! Its still in pre-alpha so the game is still being develop as we speak I think it will be cool feature to have instead of it just popping in chat , because their are times ill be in party and were doing a dungeon etc.... and someone types something I don't notice until its like were half way in the dungeon!

but as for right now its unknown!

hope this helps :P
  • I hope they do. Chat bubbles can add a lot of immersion and clarity to socializing. I love it.
  • what if they are using like actual audio?
    I still feel chat bubbles are simple yet oh-so-useful feature.
  • I do have to say I like this idea. Having eyes on a character when you're talking to them is absolutely an immersion assist. Just have an option to turn it off for people who don't like it.
  • @Irobot what do you mean actual audio confuse care to clarify?

@Severok I agree have an option to turn it off would be handy!
  • I also am a supporter of chat bubbles for immersion, RP and basic social interaction... and to keep the system simple just make it a feature of the chat system you turn on/off. So certain channel types could have an option of using chat bubbles.

Maddstone
  • I totally agree. Sometimes I'm not really paying attention to the chat box or I have nearby turned off. Will be nice for random players to be noticed especially if they are playing solo or new to the community and want to join in. Don't want to ignore these poor souls!
  • Whatever they cjoose, I hope they have a proximity limit, I hate world chat when I go into certain games, I want to be able to focus on the people that are actually around me and I think it could also stop sellers, buyers, guild recruiters, etc from spamming in game chat. (even if only a little)
  • @JCtruper I mean voice chat. when you use a microphone to communicate rather than your old school text box.
  • yes it is much better in a group to see on screen what people are saying rather than having to look at the chat window.
  • @Irobot Thanks for clarifying that! I did hear that they are trying to make Party/raid voice chat

and I agree it would be nice to have a microphone type icon go over their head or something to see who is talking!!!
  • I also think this is a fantastic idea it will really set this game above all the rest
  • I dont mind bubble chat as long as it can be disabled!
  • I agree that chat bubbles can be helpful. Also agree that if they are included, they should be optional per player. On/off switch please! :)
  • We need chat bubbles! All the mmorpgs without that function tends to feel like a single player game for me.
  • Chat Bubbles, Yes! 😊
  • I like the chat bubble idea, but that could cause some unnecessary screen clutter. especially in crowded areas. The devs could give a slider to control the clutter or implement a spam stopper/text number limit. If I remember correctly the devs talked about incorporating discord for voice chat.  
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    I always turn chat bubbles OFF instantly in every game I see them.
  • What if they had a voice wheel like they do in Overwatch?

A simple queue the player can quickly use to alert for healing/threat/get-out-of-the-fire that can be heard over the VOIP.
  • Sussurro said:
    What if they had a voice wheel like they do in Overwatch?

A simple queue the player can quickly use to alert for healing/threat/get-out-of-the-fire that can be heard over the VOIP.
    too soon 
  • Chat bubbles certain help to keep the local chat more organised. I'd personally find it useful.
  • Yes chat bubbles would be a good RPG factor as well.
  • I like the idea of optional
  • This would be a nice touch, I like it :) 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    I think chat bubbles should  only show on your screen when you are in kindom chat. 

I think there should 4 different chat box to pick from at one time.  Kindom chat. Guild chat. Alliance chat and room chat. In room chat you create your own room/name and invite your  friends can be useful to the Kings and mayors or guilds leaders to talk privately.  

• Only if you can toggle them off. 

I cringe thinking of the blinding cacophony of letters and words floating above everyone's head in a city. There's always that guy who loves typing a book into general chat just for the sake if seeing himself speak. 

I'm more in favor of small, clean UIs and I usually make that windows as small as possible so I can see the world. It would be great if they chose to do chat bubbles that they make them optional.