Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

A Return of Roleplaying (Hopefully)

Hello All

(I've been having some technical difficulties with the forum, so I hope this one gets through. Could it possibly not work right in Chrome?)

I have been a long time mmorpg roleplayer, as well as playing Dungeons and Dragons, Dragon Age RPG, Warhammer Fantasy, and Warhammer Quest. I started with World of Warcraft almost 13 years ago, and I remember some of my first adventures that were highly entertaining and interesting there. I also have played Lineage (the original), Everquest II, Warhammer Online, Guild Wars, Guild Wars II, Elder Scrolls Online, Arche Age, Rift, Tera, and more.

What I am excited about with Ashes of Creation is that instead of the game being driven by some linear progression, the game changes based on the player actions, so we players are creating the world. And that is something I've always been fascinated with from a roleplaying perspective, and if this game is anywhere near as good as the developers have been working towards, I think we will be able to blend roleplaying a character. I can remember my first day playing World of Warcraft. I had created a mage character with a bit of a background. (This was back before the first Expansion). And I had the most fun slowly revealing that character's background to the roleplayers around me. I remember stopping in the tavern and having a long conversation with a man who was in one of the upper rooms crafting bags for other players with their materials. I miss those elements of story merged together with game so seamlessly. I miss running to trainers or far off exotic locations to learn new things (instead of just learning it automatically when you reach a certain level). I miss the class quests that gave meaning and story to the classes. I am looking forward to the stories I will hopefully be able to tell in the Ashes of Creation.

Comments