Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Guild Heraldy

The usual tabards and capes would be interesting but also making three more unique concepts.

1: The Mounts tournament tabard. Make it possible for guilds to design mount heraldry and armor so when a player runs by a person can tell which guild they are part of. This could come in the form of armor and or sigils and crests put on cloth which the mount would wear.

2: Shields and Arrow quiver, you could have each of these have unique colors or have a design with the crest of the guild placed on them. To make this easier it could be placed on the same spot on every shield or quiver. This would make pvp and walking around town more interesting as people could see all the different guilds.

3: Banner carriers, I know this is a funny concept but imagine the glory to be holding the banner of your guild during a siege and marching to the front. This could be useful for commanders to see where their forces are and to tactfully react based on that information. It would also be easy for guilds and squads to rally on a tall banner as well as make a target for the enemy to bring down. This banner man/woman would lose the ability of one hand while carrying the banner which they could plant down in times of dire need. But when carried the banner would give an aura boost to those around it for more health or greater defensive stats. I believe this could be a very unique and honorable item which could only be accessible to guilds of decent size perhaps 10+ or 20+

Comments

• Options
    I think arrow quiver is unlikely.
    The rest is probably doable.

Banner carrier is an interesting idea.
    Especially for parades.
  • Options
    Banners would be awesome. Doing a castle siege? Carry your guild banner! Would look amazing :0
  • Options
    Horse and Shield are no brainers for guild crests
    Quivers could be a little to small for that
    as for Banners, just make them spears!

• Options
    Enrif said:
    Horse and Shield are no brainers for guild crests
    Quivers could be a little to small for that
    as for Banners, just make them spears!

Why not a little something like this!
  • Options
    Make it a glorious thing something for honor guards or for your different squad leaders to carry

• Options
    Having a "Bannerman" role to give to a guildmember would be awesome. It could even perhaps be a unique guild skill, while the bannerman is alive, there is a small buff to any guildmates within an area. 

To go one step further...any guild officers/leaders on the field could have a unique banner that visibly shows who they are. This can add a unique layer of strategy...enemy guild wants to kill officers/leaders, guild must ensure that those officers/leaders are protected.

Just food for thought...
  • Options
    xantham said:
    Having a "Bannerman" role to give to a guildmember would be awesome. It could even perhaps be a unique guild skill, while the bannerman is alive, there is a small buff to any guildmates within an area. 

To go one step further...any guild officers/leaders on the field could have a unique banner that visibly shows who they are. This can add a unique layer of strategy...enemy guild wants to kill officers/leaders, guild must ensure that those officers/leaders are protected.

Just food for thought...

Exactly my thoughts. It would give rallying points and targets for different groups. These buffs could be used in both PVP and PVE but I think it should be a bit more effective in PVP as that is really what would make the group effective.

Or even just making the squad leader have a visible banner on them would be interesting too.
  • Options
    I think this really needs to get brought up again. I think the idea of bannerman or giving officers or the guild leader the ability to carry a flag or have on on their back is a wonderful concept :)
  • Options
    xantham said:

Just food for thought...
    Warhammer Online had this as one of the main features of a guild. While brandishing the banner, that player could not use their skills, but they had special banner skills (if I remember rightly), plus providing an aura in a radius.

Banners could be captured and used as trophies by other guilds, so it was a risky thing to brandish a banner. You could plant your banner on a keep and while you "owned" that keep you would reap rewards for your guild.

A really fun system that kind of languished in that game. So many excellent MMO ideas were introduced with Warhammer Online, most of which have been adopted into subsequent MMOs, or co-opted into WoW.

It was pretty awesome seeing someone carrying your banner on the field, but it came with some serious risks. 
  • Options
    Honestly I love the idea of risk and reward. Like wouldn't it bring so much pride to rally behind your own banner!
  • Options
    Some nice idea here always up for showing some guild pride.
  • Options
    Well if even only for a cosmetic look it would be awesome to have a standard bearer or banner carrier. Perhaps go with the Spear version stated above that would have small flags or banners on the ends of spears.
  • Options
    Why too small? Plenty of space for art there.

• Options
    A quiver would force people to upload their logos in an awkward ratio or the logo wouldn't be shown properly.

Just stick to what works.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    Well for start, game wouldn't ask for 300x300 logo for both shield, horse and quiver...

Game would have specific requirement of image size needed depending on where it will be placed, and it would be up to players to prepare their guild art in such resolution, and up to them how their art will look inside specific resolution.

So for example, a player could prepare a guild flag image for mount, guild crest image for shield, and guild name image that would be written on quiver.
  • Options
    I really dislike the idea of people being able to upload their own artwork for a banner, or anything able to be openly displayed in the world. I know other games have allowed it for player housing, but I don't want my gameplay experience interrupted by people who have a **** as their guild banner, or something like this...

Let's just stick to the options that Intrepid design for us. Even games that are decades old had hundreds of options to choose from, that all made sense and looked appropriate to the world.

• Options
    @Bajjer BDO allowed custom artwork uploaded by each player, and this shouldn't cause any problems. Any players that upload inappropriate content can just get banned.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Gothix said:
    @Bajjer BDO allowed custom artwork uploaded by each player, and this shouldn't cause any problems. Any players that upload inappropriate content can just get banned.
    Not too worried about inappropriate content - just rubbish stuff that doesn't fit with the game world.

It would mean that a team of staff would have to actively police it for copyright infringement (can't pop a picture of Buzz Lightyear as your banner).

But mainly because the vast majority simply won't fit with the aesthetic of the game that Intrepid have worked so hard to create. I would prefer all graphical content in the game to be created by IS to be consistent.

As an aside: what was the custom artwork used for in BDO? Never played it and couldn't find anything about the process online. It's a very pretty game, I'll give it that.
  • Options
    They have said already they will not allow players to upload their own images, but they will have an indepth creator ingame.  they said for customer service and immersion reasons.  (Its at the end of a stream with Death's Proxy.)
  • Options
    Bajjer said:
    I really dislike the idea of people being able to upload their own artwork for a banner, or anything able to be openly displayed in the world. I know other games have allowed it for player housing, but I don't want my gameplay experience interrupted by people who have a **** as their guild banner, or something like this...

Let's just stick to the options that Intrepid design for us. Even games that are decades old had hundreds of options to choose from, that all made sense and looked appropriate to the world.

Yeah, I can't stand ****'s or MLP trash in general. It annoys me when people bring that stuff into other games and spread the disease.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Bajjer said:

As an aside: what was the custom artwork used for in BDO? Never played it and couldn't find anything about the process online. It's a very pretty game, I'll give it that.

Actually I was thinking about ArcheAge, but I wrote BDO without thinking. :)

Banners to hang on your house (outside as well not only inside), photo frames to hang on walls, even the ship sail design.

In BDO for example guild leader could upload guild logo, and this logo would be seen near name tag of each guild player (left of his name).

• Options
    I'd love to see the option for Bards to use flags as their "instrument" for boosting morale of your allies. The banner was important historically so why not.

As for uploading your own designs, only if there's some form of regulation and moderation about it.

There's even a manuscript from the renaissance about fighting and waving the banner, with all sorts of spins and tricks to do with it to signal.

• Options
    Svartie said:
    I'd love to see the option for Bards to use flags as their "instrument" for boosting morale of your allies. The banner was important historically so why not.

As for uploading your own designs, only if there's some form of regulation and moderation about it.

There's even a manuscript from the renaissance about fighting and waving the banner, with all sorts of spins and tricks to do with it to signal.

I'm all for it; but it sure will make bards a target. >:)
  • Options
    So I really do hope that we will see custom guild tower shield and Banners to be carried on backs weapons or mounts. Even Just a simple back banner or shoulder banner would be cool.

At the end of the day if we can have officers or GMs carry a standard into the game it would be amazing.
  • Options
    Svartie said:

I can't help but see a sign spinner for Papa Johns in the middle of some serious battle spinnin' his shit. I'm down for war drummers and the like, this too.