Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

A Cure to our Woes

Ive been playing MMOs since the North American launched of Final Fantasy XI. Slogged through that for years; played everything from Maple Story to WoW to GW2 and currently Final Fantasy XIV.

As a content creator (podcasts) of 11 years, when this game came across my desk I was blown away. Even now, its hard to believe something this perfect has finally came around. Every single issue or criticism I have about the current state of the MMO market and genre as a whole is being addressed or answered with Ashes of Creation.

The past few weeks doing research, consuming video and live stream alike has been so cathartic. Not sure why I waited to join in on the forum community, but Im here now. And I have to ask, what are some of your greatest criticisms of the modern day MMO that Ashes is looking to strengthen?

For me, so many MMOs talk about making thier worlds feel alive. They employ such short term plans to reinvigorate desolace areas and its alwaya so forced. Between the caravan system and the uniqueness of node syatems I cant wait to take part in a world that feels alive and bustling no matter where my adventures take ne.

Comments

• Honestly, what made me dig deeper into the game was learning it wasn't going to be pay-to-win, and also how building up different nodes result in different events, so no server will be the same. 
    As I learned more, I decided to back the game and join the forums. Since then, I've really been surprised by the maturity and intelligence of most of the community I've interacted with so far. Everyone is so kind and excited. It's really nice, man.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Life is meaningless without purpose.
    Eye candy alone, does not invoke action.
    Firing off your inquisitive nature is.
    If everything you look at makes you wonder...
    what does this do, why is this here, where is that going, what is that doing ?
    ...then I will show you a world that has sucked you in.

On the other side is immersion is plausibility is realism.
    So if its nots plausible its broken.
    That means it has to use real world physics to satisfy expectations of how the world should behave.

There are many things that bought me here aside from fixing 90% of the mistakes of everyone else.
    But the main one is all modern games are simply solo or small group.
    They have no interaction with each other or are directly pitted against each other.
    Here whole communities of people can finally work as one with a common goal.
    Be they solo or group.
    THAT is what an MMO should be.
    THAT is why I am here.
  • I think the fact that the ceo is such an mmo player really helped in the development of the game. I honestly don't expect them to pukl off everything they promised flawlessly... and that's ok. Already a life time sub here. This is the mmo I am going to heavily invest my time in. If anyone can finally pull off an mmo like this one - one people have been waiting forever for - I think this group can.
  • this game is new and innovative, and I like that. most other MMOs have felt like carbon copies of each other, and they are only coming up with new ways to make us shell out cash. what burns me the most about AoC is that there are going to be shameless ripoffs which throws the anti-P2W out of the window, even though it is key to keeping the game balanced.
  • No pay2win was the biggest draw, and having crafting being important and the basis of the economy was huge.  I'm not big on PvP especially forced PvP, but the Caravan system and Sieges excited me.  The only thing that really bothers me is Forced PvP, and I hope the corruption system is especially harsh as to discourage PvPers from attacking PvEers.
  • Interestingly, I remember some friends talking about this game a few months back and I didn't really give it any thoughts at first. Then I came across it myself just as Kickstarter started and I started researching it. The first thing that drew me in must have been the Node system, sounded really interesting. Then at some point I heard that it would have mount breeding/taming and I was really hooked and decided to back the project.
  • All the goals of this projects hit the spot with me, fingers crossed it becomes half of the game I want it to be :)
  • @LBR_KALLO for me, it's something new and amazing. Well, new might not actually be descriptive enough, because ESO, Rift, and Aion was new to me at one point, and none of those get me as excited as this game.
  • Its wil probably exceed your expectations.
  • I started out in EQ back when what ever you did had consequences.  I became KOS by the guards in my home town because of a choice I made. 

I also played Asheron's call where you had to think and work to make your spells.   Death in both games had consequences.  Live events in EQ and in AC, some changed the environments.  Todays games have little to think about and no real community participation.  FTP and PTW were added features that further ruined games.  They also seem to cater to the youngsters who are always in a hurry to get somewhere fast and to get something for nothing.

AoC sounds like a game I can once again sink my teeth, errr sink my time in and be satisfied.    I never thought I would contribute to a kick starter. But here I am too.   I find the whole concept of AoC exciting! 
  • It's very refreshing to see a community with such a wealth of differing opinions that all still have hope toward a common goal. Can't remember the last time that's honestly happened. :P
  • LBR_KALLO said:
    It's very refreshing to see a community with such a wealth of differing opinions that all still have hope toward a common goal. Can't remember the last time that's honestly happened. :P
    For the last 10 years I have seen games come and go. The hype train comes then people get excited and soon after it all turns to disappointment. I think the gaming community has grown up a lot more and want to see proof what the gaming companies are saying is true and not trying to sell you a broken game from the beginning. I wish this company all the best and I hope they do well. This might be the turning point were games of the future will be better made and the profit margin will not be the main goal and the product last. Companies who think like this are now dinosaurs in the gaming industry. To the gaming community act with your mind not with your feet.

• Awww you guys are all so fantastic, great feeders of hype train. I love it! <3

For myself it was the enthusiasm of the team.
    Ok, so nothing may possibly come from all of this, but if enthusiasm alone could push a product through to completetion, then ashes, with an extra $3.2m, stands a great chance!

If their desire is to make a game in which they can play for the rest of their days, yeah, sounds like that's in line with my own. 

><)))> 
  • So much hype.. man now all the other games that I play seem so boring.. I have nothing to do.. I just want to play AoC... Whaaa I discovered this game way to early!!
  • Steven is a smart cookie and his work experience in the past is really helping him create his dream in the right way :) 
  • Diura said:
    Steven is a smart cookie and his work experience in the past is really helping him create his dream in the right way :) 
    All other games seem so... standard.. ;P and I don't want to spend time on other mmo's because of this game ;P
    Guess I go back to AC ;P and wait for this game!!
  • I certainly haven't played every MMO but one of my favourite things about ESO's world was how alive it felt. To waddle through a town only to hear the locals discussing the consequences of a decision I made some 30minutes before. SWTOR in retrospect had probably the best story I've ever experienced in levelling a character to max, but the worlds felt dead. You were lucky to see an NPC move, nevermind talk.

With a dynamic world which is constantly moving and developing/changing it is imperative imo that Intrepid get this right. Being in the world must feel authentic and I too, agree, that having Steven as an MMO vet will help with that.

I can't wait to get my singing soul strutting through the gate :)

• The Steak, Potatoes and the Gravy ! It's why I'm here and why I am going to stay
  • Baguettes and Butter