Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Idea Pitch: Teleportation Markers

This is an idea probably based on more of a magical basis, or perhaps a neat crafting item. It may not even be feasible but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

My thoughts were of an item, or maybe and ability of some sort, that would allow temporary short range recalling. So the theory behind this is that this feature would allow players to recall somewhere they have placed a marker in the world at a certain distance (maybe 500 feet or so?) where they can recall back to that spot. Perhaps as an ambush to get in the middle of a caravan, or an escape should they venture into a dungeon they didn't prepare for, this would be a useful tool for multiple purposes.

Now, my thought process is based more off of a longer-lasting free standing marker (i.e. 10 minutes) but not something that would last for a long time unless maybe a certain circumstance required it, such as a raid. Perhaps if it were an item the tier of the crafting could extend the life of it. Or if it were an ability, invested training could make it last long.

In addition to the basic concept of a short range teleportation marker, this marker could be something that other players could destroy if they found it causing it to fail. This could make marker placement and strategy a necessary thought process when using this feature. Perhaps this marker could be upgraded to include concealment options?

In any case, I just wanted to throw this idea out in case it could be something really useful in the game to enhance player experience and add a little depth to the already deeply involved mechanics that will be at play. It's actually something that I've thought about for a while in regards to a game feature but never pitched before.

Thank you for reading, 
Jake

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Its no different to a gap closer or an escape at the end of the day which are common enough.
    My only reservation is that distance = energy cost.
    Go too far and you wont have any energy when you arrive.
    Sucks to be you if you ambush someone too far away.
    haha

• Options
    Its no different to a gap closer or an escape at the end of the day which are common enough.
    My only reservation is that distance = energy cost.
    Go too far and you wont have any energy when you arrive.
    Sucks to be you if you ambush someone too far away.
    haha

That sounds fun :) Kinda Eragon magic-esk. Might be a bit harsh to just let you die from it, but it could be an interesting concept, if the power drain is relative to the distance. But it might be hard to work in, due to balance, diverse skills etc.
  • Options
    Well, it's not outside of the realm of possibilities.

This type of skill should have some restrictions to prevent from using it as a substitute for caravan. Other than that, it can be a fun skill to use in tactical retreat or ambush depending on how it's used.

The mage can probably draw a rune on the ground that can be destroyed. The size of the rune will dictate how many people can teleport (the larger the rune, the more time it will take to set up). Then the distance would dictate how much energy is required to complete it. Perhaps when near it's distance limit, it will completely exhaust the caster of all their mana leaving them vulnerable to attacks for a few seconds.

Something with this many draw backs will force the players to use it in decisive and and strategic plays. It has the power to really take enemies by surprise if used correctly, same as a instant gap closer or invisibility.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting guys! Yeah the process of using this feature would need to be something that would make players have to really think before using it recklessly. I think the idea of larger energy drain for longer distances is a great idea. But I don't think the distance should be so great that it would be a substitute for caravans. A cooldown would likely be in place.

And the idea of teleporting other people with you never actually occurred to me lol. I always thought of it as a one-person thing and each person had to be able to do it themselves (hence the idea of an item non-magical classes could use).
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Actually that kin dof group teleport could be useful to cross terrain gaps.
    If energy cost depends on number of players and distance.
    So two players halves the range limit kind of thing.

You couldnt use it as mass fast travel, but you could use it for obstacles.

I had a similar idea a long time ago for CC effects.
    Healers push
    Tanks pull
    DD would anchor.
    The idea was for tanks to have a short range aoe pull or a long range single target pull.
    Similar for healers in reverse.
    DDs are normally the ones being pushed and pulled so they need the anchor skill.
  • Options
    Hhhhmm imagine have a time limit to cross a chasm ?
    Could be interesting ?
    Risk dropping people in the chasm, or take longer ?
    haha.