Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

On Freeholds and Guild Housing (Plus misc questions)

Over the years, much like everyone else, I have played many MMO games, most notable is World of Warcraft. While I loved that particular game... not in recent years, but once was addicted to it... The devs. fell short in delivering on what we players wanted. One major thing they failed on were the housing systems ((If I never see a garrison again it will be too soon)). So imagine my excited expression when I learned that not only player housing, but city housing and Guild Halls were not only going to be a thing, they will be unique to not only the servers, but the regions and nodes themselves. So, here are a few questions on that subject.

1) Will there be, or any plans to have, class specific buildings that can either be unlocked once a character reaches end content or an option to unlock/buy these buildings? These buildings could include Wizard Towers, Abbeys or Shrines, Vaults, Training Dojos or Baileys, Libraries, etc.
 - For flavor: I currently hold the fantasy of being a Mage who is a master Alchemist (Unsure of the name for this profession) who is working in his wizard tower and an adventurer arrives because they need a special potion to complete a quest and my name was dropped in their search.  

2) Will Guild Halls have the option to place certain buildings to help their tenure crafters/proccesors in their holds? Such as a smithy, alchemy lab, etc.
- There has been some talk about Guild Halls progressing into castles or taking over castles that show up ((No clear direction of this, or I haven't watched enough videos/posts for it to be clear)) And I thought it would be the coolest thing for a guild to be able to keep their community together by having these production buildings set in place and give further reason for guildies to hang out together!

3) Will Freeholds/ Guild Halls require some type of stabling to hold mounts? Or will the mount system work like others games (Cast time then poof there is your mount)?
- I personally like the idea of your mount being part of the world, not just a summoned creature that fits in your pocket. While I understand this could get tricky for mounts other than the standard horses, it still begs the question of how this mechanic will work.

4) When Guild Wars break out, will guilds run the risk of losing their Halls/Castles in this war, or will it be a simple instanced battleground, similar to what Blizzard tried to do in WoW with their guild skirmishes?
- My guess would be the former option, only because I see how excited and emphatic the devs are about Risk v.s. Reward aspect, which would also make guilds question the logic behind starting a war for other reasons than a LOL moment.

5) This question is for my fellow RP nerds! Some hardcore RP Guilds, especially the Military Based ones, enjoy having uniformed groups, not to take away individuality, but to have that feel of Espirit De Corps. Will guilds have the option to purchase special dye or tailored guild crests to be used on currently equipped gear to change armor appearance to resemble guild colors?

6) Will Guilds hold a gold vault/guild bank within their Hall to allow the leadership to dispense funds for guild acquisitions?
- Case and point: Hiring a master smith to make weapons, or a master alchemist to brew potions for raids and pvp. Or beyond that, to allow specialized buildings to be built within the Hall ((This goes back to my earlier question of guild buildings))

7) To further question 6: Will invading guilds during a guild war be able to loot the broken halls they have conquered? Such as gold, weapons, etc.
- This question is assuming that guild wars will happen open world and not instanced and that the Risk v.s. Reward holds true.

8) During Guild Wars and sieges, will players/guild leaders be able to hire mercenary players for their node/other nodes to help defend guild halls/free holds? If so, will these players be given an option in their UI to help defend a certain POI or hold/hall?
- There has been talk about players being able to hire guards for not only caravans, but also defend their holds. I assume this will be true for guild halls as well. I ask this, because I know there are some players who enjoy the hedge knight/ mercenary game style where they love pvp, but also want to explore the world as well. This would allow them to continue their trek through the different regions and nodes and be part of epic battles that they would otherwise not be part of due to their transient game style. 

9) Back to Freeholds: The devs. have spoken about city housing and it upgrading as the node upgrades, starting with a small house and ending up as a huge mansion. Will there be a similar option for Freeholders? Such as allowing them to purchase more land to hold their personalized mansions and specialty buildings?
- I understand this could be tricky depending on space available and player population, though I must admit the appeal of either owning or walking through the world and stumbling upon a mansion in the middle of the game, as though it belonged to an ancient family or part of a quest chain. 

10) Are there safeguards in place for player storage within a Freehold? Such as locking boxes or other storage devices so that only that player may loot them or perhaps the hired guards will deter looters?
- I can't help but be paranoid at the prospect of accidentally leaving my Freehold unlocked for anyone to walk in and take what they want. I hold no issue with there being a mechanic for this, as it follows the Risk v.s. Reward, but would like it to be made clear.

Final Question I swear! ((Heh... for now))

Mass Player Ultimate Abilities!

In a former Q&A there was talk about Summoners coming together during a siege and using an ultimate ability to summon a huge arcane-golem-creature-thing that could do AOE or smash down buildings/doors.

Will other classes have something similar? Such as:

-Clerics summoning a circle of protection the heal and ward off attacks for a limited time.

-Mages being able to summon a portal gate, allowing defenders and allies to enter the city without fighting the legion at the front door.

- Rangers having a mass volley they can launch, depleting enemy ranks/ Or allowing them to gather animals from the region to stampede them across the battle ground.

- Fighters being able to create a shield wall with collision, forcing attackers to destroy the wall to further their advancement.

- Bards being able to play an inspiring song that gives a buff to all citizens and allies in that region. To further this, the game audio changes to whatever song is being played to further inform players they are getting a bard buff.

A special thank you to the Intrepid team for viewing and/or answering any of these questions! I hope I have made my questions clear enough, or even inspired some ideas that were not formally thought of ((I doubt the latter since Intrepid Studios seems to have an answer and plan for everything. The True Bacon A-Team!))

Comments

• Options

Kesarakk said:

- I personally like the idea of your mount being part of the world, not just a summoned creature that fits in your pocket. While I understand this could get tricky for mounts other than the standard horses, it still begs the question of how this mechanic will work.

I love that too, especially since breeding will be profession. 
  • Options
    @Kesarakk Nice post. Thanks for the thoughtful questions. Here are my takes:

1) They commented on the wizard tower specifically and said though that won't be a building proper, there might be mage tower skins for your freehold. As far as class-locked building, I would doubt that, though I'm sure a bard at an inn or a mage in the scholar's academy would be where you naturally find those 

2) I would imagine that any place people organize (castles, nodes, guild halls, etc.) would have this option. I agree, will be nice to see if that's confirmed.

3) For immersion's sake, I'd think so. I could also see a limited whistle call to your mount to retrieve it as a non-combat class skill.

4) Definitely the former, I agree.

5) Again, probably no doubt, especially via the cash shop.

6) Guild vault, yes, that'd make sense. If I understand correctly, the hall is a single building, unlike a freehold or node itself. I'd be surprised if there were full additional buildings, but perhaps you could have custom rooms/objects in your hall.

7) Seeing as caravan raiders don't actually loot the caravans and instead receive a voucher for the cost of a part of the goods, I'd imagine something similar in the case of guild wars. Items won't be able to be dropped by one person (rendered in the world) and picked up either, so that's more for the case of "no."

8) I agree, can definitely see this as an option, too.

9) Nope, I believe they covered that in a stream.

10) Yep, you can "lock your door" and no one can steal your stuff. Only a failed siege might expose a portion of your materials.