Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hiding cloaks, helms, etc

This is actually something that is quite important to me. It's become fairly usual and customary, in MMOs, to hide helms & cloaks. Rift took that one step further by allowing us to hide pretty much everything. Given the complex, differing personalities of the characters I create, I may have some who want the full armor set, and some who're happy flinging spells around barefoot. 

Will there be a level of customization which allows us to hide items and, if so, how deep will that customization be able to go?

I did try searching to see if this topic had been addressed previously, but either it hadn't been, or the search feature was not working well. Your answers will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Options

I may be wrong but I haven't seen a source of info that addresses this type of feature. I guess it is in the detail of the game where such things are divulged and perhaps Intrepid aren't there yet but voicing your opinion can't do any harm. I'm actually looking forward to playing an MMO that actually has a proper cloak.

I suspect there'll definitely be customization but will it go beyond hiding your helm, I am not so sure. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you ;)

• Options
    This is actually a really good question! I've not seen anything that has hinted on whether you could or couldn't hide certain pieces of gear. I really would like to see this implemented especially for head gear. Sometimes cloth wearers don't have the most appealing accessories ^^
  • Options
    I didn't think I'd seen anything either; I'm really hopeful that we'll have a fair bit of customization. I attempted to get this question answered on one of their 'streams, but it wasn't chosen. I'll just keep pluggin' at it, though!
  • Options
    Good idea! :D I'm sure we'll get helm hide but I know LOTRO did hide cloak so why not Ashes? Especially if cloaks clip with certain armours etc, it could provide a simple way of avoiding whine.
  • Options
    I take it for granted that hiding helm/cloak will be a feature in the game. If not I'd be really surprised. They want an rich character customisation, so my guess is it will be there.
  • Options
    I'm with you on having the choice.  Most games today offer that choice.  Let's hope Ashes is no different.  I might not have the gems and gold nuggest but I do have faith.

CylverRayne
  • Options
    The more option the better and I don't see why this would be a problem so it should be added to the game if it not already on its way to being added
  • Options
    Cloaks and helmets fine :) But having everything hideable might be a stretch, it would be a tad bid immersion breaking to be sieged by 200 naked people ;)
  • Options
    Cloaks and helmets fine :) But having everything hideable might be a stretch, it would be a tad bid immersion breaking to be sieged by 200 naked people ;)

clearly you've never play vs tomb kings ;)  
  • Options
    nagash said:

clearly you've never play vs tomb kings ;)  
    Guilty as charged :)
  • Options
    @Julemanden
    I didn't say strip everything off; however, it wouldn't be immersion breaking, imo, to have, say, a mage running around barefoot (as mine did in Rift). Again, however, it's options I'm seeking. WoW has finally allowed us to also remove belts; what about gloves? So on and so forth. For me, again, it's about my characters. Some want full armor, some just wanna dance barefoot in the rain as they pelt spells down upon their foe.
  • Options
    well.....thats how the romans felt when they fought the celts.....

but on the topic, i think they should add the ability to hide every slot but not chests/pants.
    with this players get nice customizability but would feel real defensive repercussion if they would go full on naked, as they should.
  • Options
    Isende said:
    @Julemanden
    I didn't say strip everything off; however, it wouldn't be immersion breaking, imo, to have, say, a mage running around barefoot (as mine did in Rift). Again, however, it's options I'm seeking. WoW has finally allowed us to also remove belts; what about gloves? So on and so forth. For me, again, it's about my characters. Some want full armor, some just wanna dance barefoot in the rain as they pelt spells down upon their foe.
    Dont get me wrong I'm all for choice, but maybe it should be some switch on/off whether you want to see other peoples options or your own. Like I dont want to see my helmet, but you want everyone to be fully armored you tick that off. Basicly theres both a sender and reciever on some of the options :)

Also its not you or anyone actually worried about this stuff, its more the people that dont care, the people that organise a naked siege ;)

• Options
    Well,

If they decide to allow us to hide all pieces, having an underarmor / innerwear slot that can't be toggled off can prevent them from getting flak over butt naked avatars. I like that better than peeps running around in the same meh default underwear. It also gives them more cosmetics to sell in the cash shop! ;-)
  • Options
    This thread has became some what odd and im not sure what I should say  :|
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    For a character creation point of view it makes sense to enable players to hide their helmets. Why spend time making a good looking character when the face will be covered the entire time? Fortunately the hide-helmet option is very common so there's a good chance it will be in the game.

Cloaks will be only cosmetic I think, in one of the gameplay videos Steven showed the 8 gear slots: head, shoulders, chest, arms, hands, waist, legs, boots. You can watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b_hp9La78g&t=18m20s

• Options
    @Isende Hiding cloak and helm I think is definitely reasonable, but I haven't heard anything official on it yet. However, I think being able to hide anything, as some have mentioned here, is immersion breaking, similar to the female-style armor threads I've seen.

What I think would be neat is an in-combat, out-of-combat toggle for visualization. Why would I wear my helm while getting a drink at the tavern? Why wouldn't I wear my helm in battle? Having an auto-swap feature would be very cool imo.
  • Options
    I'd love to be able to hide head, cloak, SHOULDERS (really.. WoW got to that after 10 years, please Ashes.. at launch? Shoulders can be just as disturbing as head-gear), arms, hands and wait... but I really don't care, if all slots get to be turned off.
    But head, cloak and shoulders.. those are essential.
  • Options
    well.....thats how the romans felt when they fought the celts.....

but on the topic, i think they should add the ability to hide every slot but not chests/pants.
    with this players get nice customizability but would feel real defensive repercussion if they would go full on naked, as they should.
  • Options
    I can see bare-foot being necessary for some race choices like Pyrai and the Dwarf druids so they might as well let us hide everything. Some Orks would want to be bare-chested anyways.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    How so has it become odd? I'm actually enjoying the convo, and finding some interesting ideas that can expand on my initial question.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Isende said:
    nagash said:
    How so has it become odd? I'm actually enjoying the convo, and finding some interesting ideas that can expand on my initial question.
    I was just joking about this

"Also its not you or anyone actually worried about this stuff, its more the people that dont care, the people that organise a naked siege"
  • Options
    Ah. I see. Hey, you changed your pic. Ummmm ... still bony! *grins & ducks*
  • Options
    In EQ2 you could hide helms/hoods and cloaks.  They had gear you could acquire that would hide other gear slots but those gear pieces went into gear appearance slots, which so far, Ashes will not have; though I really wish they would.
  • Options
    I'd rather hide behind a tree or maybe inside it's hollowed out trunk.  Then I can stealthily  heal those sneaky rogues when they jump out at all those naked warriors. 
  • Options
    Isende said:
    This is actually something that is quite important to me. It's become fairly usual and customary, in MMOs, to hide helms & cloaks. Rift took that one step further by allowing us to hide pretty much everything. Given the complex, differing personalities of the characters I create, I may have some who want the full armor set, and some who're happy flinging spells around barefoot. 

Will there be a level of customization which allows us to hide items and, if so, how deep will that customization be able to go?

I did try searching to see if this topic had been addressed previously, but either it hadn't been, or the search feature was not working well. Your answers will be much appreciated!
    "NO CAPES!!" hahaha

I would like to be able to hide helms and cloaks, As far as the other armor... it doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, hiding a chest piece for a fighter to get that barbarian feel, I can see that. But I think the game would like kinda... Monty Python if there were naked raiders and pvpers. Unless I read your post wrong.
  • Options
    Kesarakk said:
    Isende said:

"NO CAPES!!" hahaha

I would like to be able to hide helms and cloaks, As far as the other armor... it doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, hiding a chest piece for a fighter to get that barbarian feel, I can see that. But I think the game would like kinda... Monty Python if there were naked raiders and pvpers. Unless I read your post wrong.
    Not wrong, but certainly you alluded to something that wasn't in my original post.

I didn't ask that all armor be removable :-)