Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Russian localization

A very large number of people from Russia are interested in this project. They all would be very pleased if the game was immediately translated into Russian. (At least partially at the start).
I think many will support me in this.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Devs will likely think about localizations depending on real stats of "paying" custumers (not some "very many" theoretical ones). Russians not even in top 10 on AoC Kickstarter. Like 200-250 of them at best, its mere ~1% of current playerbase.

To go deeper, russians are very numerous in play4free (semi-p4f) games, like 8-12% of playerbases, even 20% + in DOTA.

But when we go to strict "sub only" games, their actual numbers dwindle (to level of rich small european countries or even lower). But it depeds of devs strategy about regional sub pricing for poorer countries. If they cut 15$ to 7$ or at least 10$ / m in Russia, it will be but another story. But with 15$ I doubt we see many russians here. Too harsh.

Dont get me wrong, Im by all hands for localization. 

Just likely we dont see it on realese. More possible in later stages of game - in case of mega-success (when they hunt for even more players) or mega-fail (go p4f to milk "peasants" in Steam or something by MTX, then russians will be allowed to the table en masse).

May be I'm wrong and too grumpy. Correct me with nice optimistic arguments : )

• Options
    I am glad that I was not the only one who showed interest in this issue. If the game turns out in terms of quality (translation) below World of warcraft, no one to pay for it I won't bother.
  • Options
    Or you could, you know, learn English, like rest of the world. :)
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    I don't think there is a person who wants to learn a language just for a game, it's much easier to have it in your own language :3
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Gothix said:
    I don't think there is a person who wants to learn a language just for a game, it's much easier to have it in your own language :3
    Just for a game? o.O

How about to be able to communicate with rest of the world? :)
    Play countless games, rather then requesting them all to be translated.
    Watch movies, series.
    Learn and read about new things.
    Actually speak the language that rest of the world speaks.

And no, I'm not British or American, English is not my native language. And still, I don't request games to be translated to my own language.

• Options
    Gothix said:
    Gothix said:
    Just for a game? o.O

How about to be able to communicate with rest of the world? :)
    Play countless games, rather then requesting them all to be translated.
    Watch movies, series.
    Learn and read about new things.
    Actually speak the language that rest of the world speaks.

And no, I'm not British or American, English is not my native language. And still, I don't request games to be translated to my own language.

English is not my native either and before I moved to a foreign country I never had the need to use it, of course English is vital for most people but it is still better to have something in your own language whenever you can.
  • Options
    Point is investing resources for translation, removes resources from development in other areas.

So basically translating for nation X directly hurts nation Y, that doesn't have translation and also has received less developed game due to game developer wasting time to translate for nation X.

If you want it fair then game should be translated to every language, which is impossible (too costly). Either translate to all languages or to no language.

It is always same nations yelling and requesting translations, mostly German, French and Russian, seeing themselves more important then other nations.

This is what I dislike. It is pure discrimination to always cater to 3 same nations and ignore others. This is why I prefer having a game only in original language and not translate to any other language.

Unless they plan to translate it to ALL other languages.
  • Options
    It just seemed like he wanted the game to be translated to his own language, nothing wrong with that.  Like others have said though if enough interest was shown in the country to make translating the game economically viable, it would have a higher chance of getting localized.
  • Options
    I think translations for games today is spending precious resources in the wrong area. Especially massive games such as AoC. If they were to translate all that content, which is a huge task, then what languages do they need to translate to? Who decides that list? Anyone playing a MMORPG these days will need to know English anyway. 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    They have stated a couple different times that language localization will be linked to activity and interest from that region. Get enough Russians who are playing and paying, advocate for it, and you may see it in the future. They are most likely not going to spend the time, money, and energy to localize for a small subset of "hardcore" fans. So like the lastest communication from Dear Leader Steven, get out there and get those social media accounts pumping and dumping referrals. And since people love links with them saying things instead of just people typing it here. Timestamp 45:45 on the video.

http://aocwiki.net/Ashes_of_Creation_Kickstarter_Livestream_2017-05-24#.5B.5D_Will_an_upcoming_KS_goal_be_language_translations.3F