Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Just a hunch - SpatialOS on the back-end?!

Some of you may be familiar with SpatialOS from Improbable... it surfaced a short couple years ago, and is effectively a cloud computing platform that meshes together servers, tracks persistence, and all kinds of stuff a persistent game world (or a real world simulation!) needs for scaling. It's a huge amount of pre-fab tech that allows smaller developers to get out of the gate with their ideas quickly, rather than building these systems from scratch!

Readers here may be most familiar with it from Chronicles of Elyria, but there are some other notable games such as Rebel Horizons, Worlds Adrift and others that are making use of the tech.

They have a close partnership with Google, and very recently scored an investment round of $502m (yes, that's half-a-billion US dollars) from SoftBank. THAT is a big deal. There is a huge upside to this beyond games, including city infrastructure planning and simulation... and more.

ANYHOO

Intrepid has been pretty tight-lipped on back-end tech so far, and the recent studio tour with Technical Director Jason Crawford's screens blurred out got me thinking...

I might be making a leap here, but I suspect they are evaluating SpatialOS for Ashes of Creation, and haven't announced anything yet because they are still testing and/or want to make it a nice join-announcement for both companies when the timing is right!

If so, this would be a huge win for the possibilities of the game... the size of the world and tracking everything down to the perishability over time of every single apple in my Freehold pantry! :)

Anyway, just thinking out loud and would be curious to hear the thoughts of any other back-seat game designers interested in this sort of thing!