Transmogrification or to not Transmorgrification

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited June 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
To transmorg or not to transmorg will have many different views.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Transmogging should always be a thing. The idea of living in a fantasy world, is.. well... living out your fantasy. I was so happy when Blizzard allowed the WoW players to change their gear into other armor and weapons so you look how you want to look, not look like you stopped by a thrift store and bought essential items. This post may sound harsher than intended, but I wanted to get my point across.
  • Kesarakk said:
    Transmogging should always be a thing. The idea of living in a fantasy world, is.. well... living out your fantasy. I was so happy when Blizzard allowed the WoW players to change their gear into other armor and weapons so you look how you want to look, not look like you stopped by a thrift store and bought essential items. This post may sound harsher than intended, but I wanted to get my point across.
    Not hash at all dude. Transmorg should be in the game. Everyone wants a sexy looking character with viable states.
  • Yes please. I like games where you can transmog any weapon/gear into anything else.

Like a mage with a giant two handed warhammer... 
  • Only issue I see is if gear has significant influence on stats for PVE or PVP and players can miss-inform they status.
  • There was so many different spellings of transmogrification I ended up becoming undecided in my vote x.x 
  • If magic allows us to summon light and fling fireballs from nowhere, or rogues can disappear from sight...
    I don't see that transmog would break lore.

As to pvp advantages.... well stick in a 'chance to break item' risk that increases depending upon weapon level disparity, that way there'd be fewer folks hiding their legendary one of a kind weapons as a wooden stick.   Just an idea though...
  • I think transmog should be more akin to skinning an item (changing cosmetic features and color tints) rather than dramatically altering its appearance or making one item look like a totally different item. 
  • Tastes just differ just too much. While I aknowledge the fact that you could misslead people with it, at the end of the day, it's only relevant in a spontaneous pvp encounter and there you should be always aware of having to fight against the best possible gear.
    If I got my thunderfurry through months of painstacking endevour I want to show it off and if it doesn't have the stats I can use, at least the appearance should be mine to choose.
  • Grisu said:
    Tastes just differ just too much. While I aknowledge the fact that you could misslead people with it, at the end of the day, it's only relevant in a spontaneous pvp encounter and there you should be always aware of having to fight against the best possible gear.
    If I got my thunderfurry through months of painstacking endevour I want to show it off and if it doesn't have the stats I can use, at least the appearance should be mine to choose.
    Guess, it depends on the background for pvp.

Being able to identify a pvp opponent at range due their gear allows time for fight or flee.

Also helps to identify characters in a crowd should names not be known.

That being said, if gear is not that critical and/or your not likely to be one or two shot then it's a different scenario.

Agreed

• Slight alterations like changing a elven robe into a dwarven robe should be possible.
    However I really dislike games where characters can wear full plate armour and reach the mitigation cap, while looking as if they are on the way to the next swimming pool.
  • Actually I would rather have appearance gear slots instead of any transmorg.
  • I think that in a game where crafting plays such an important role items should show their worth. Remember when, in other games, you knew who the top players of your server were because of their looks?
  • So.. I was torn between "Allow any" and "Allow only general gear (not top or rare)", because only the most unique items may be excluded imo. So not just rare items that in the end still everyone and his dog has stored away in his freehold, but those items that only exist once per server and may not be found for years! Those legendary/artifact/whatever items should not be able to be transmogged. On the other hand: Those items should never be needed to be transmogged, because they should just be so good, that you never put them down again :p 

Anyway: Transmog yes please. Even if the tone is somewhat more realistic, noone needs power-rangers! Sorry fans, but you can still transmog to power-ranger-outfits!
    You want your character to look like you want him to look. If you are torn between taking the items with the best stats and the one that look cool... it's just an unnecessary conflict. Let there be options! Let there be transmogs!
  • nah, transmog is a junk system from a low quality game that kids started playing in 2004. if you want a real appearance system you simply have an appearance tab and a save outfit button.....transmoging gear is a meh system at best for vanity.

but anyways, this entire thread is moot.  no reason to even have it as there is for a fact already going to be an appearance system.  i wish people would read a bit or maybe learn anything at all about the game before making threads.  duplicate threads...fine...threads that have already been addressed months ago...nah
  • Allthou I used to be a transmog-slut in WoW, changing sets every day and hunting down old gear/weapons, I do feel transmog should be something that only gets added later on in the game, when you feel like going back to older sets. At first everything is new and exciting, therefor I do not crave transmogging yet..

That's just me thou :)

• Grisu said:

Did someone say Thunderfurry?!?!

[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]
  • You don't mean [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker] !?
  • you know what they say ashes to ashes dust to dust and to the dust you shall become a new epic staff ^^
  • Just to be clear to most people. When we say "transmog" we mean to change ONLY the appearance and not the actual stats. If the system is in place I don't see how it would throw people off in a pvp situation. They should know not to expect the gear they see to actually represent what they're wearing stat wise. It wouldn't fool anyone in my opinion.
  • It's important that you look the way you want to look, especially since It's likely we'll be able mix match armour types. The possibility of looking good or even appealing to your eye is limited to unlikely. With armor styles possibly being upgraded added too etc I don't want to spend too much time getting essential mats over and over just to look how I want to look.

• Gotta conjure up Cpt. Obvious and say that as long as the transmogs make sense (e.g. heavy armor can be transmogrified by other heavy armor designs but you can't give robes the appearance of plate armor), then I'm all for transmogs. 

We've all been there when an item has amazing stats but just doesn't have the look we like. Or, vice versa. 
  • I'm all for this as long as its locked into types. e.g swords only transmog with swords, cloth only with cloth. otherwise you'll have the whole problem with someone looking like he's wearing full plate, so you think magic is a good idea, when in fact he's wearing cloth. There's also the personal gripe I have with seeing someone walking around with a sword and using it as a staff (or something along those lines). that's just stupid imo.
  • I'm feeling a little traditionalist here, even though this feature was a favourite from WoW. I'm leaning towards not.

Down the road, years from now? I say revisit it.
  • Coelso said:
    I think that in a game where crafting plays such an important role items should show their worth. Remember when, in other games, you knew who the top players of your server were because of their looks?
    I remember when people started to look the same once the perceived "meta" was spreading.  I'd rather look distinct and memorable.
  • I'm ok with transmog, as long as
    1) you actually own the weapon you want to show aesthetically 
    2) you are bounded to trasmog by weapon/armour type. So for instance, if you wear a scale armour helm, you could only give it the appearance of another scale head piece, and so on. This to avoid pvp deceit. 
    I'm all for this as long as its locked into types. e.g swords only transmog with swords, cloth only with cloth. otherwise you'll have the whole problem with someone looking like he's wearing full plate, so you think magic is a good idea, when in fact he's wearing cloth. There's also the personal gripe I have with seeing someone walking around with a sword and using it as a staff (or something along those lines). that's just stupid imo.
    Totally agree with this.
  • I said allow to transmorg only general gear (not top or rare). I choose it because I would like to know a bit ahead of time how much of a BAMF the person I am about to pick a fight with really is.