Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How the Class System Works:

Ashes of Creation Class System

There seems to be a great deal of confusion regarding the Class System in Ashes of Creation; I'm going to break it down in a way I hope everyone can grasp.

The first thing to keep in mind is that there are 8 Archtypes.
Period. Stop. End of discussion.

Semantics are important, ok? For whatever reason, folks are using improper language to describe what happens to your Character based on the selections you make at Character Creation and during gameplay. You need to realize that everything else you choose about your character does not change your initial Archtype; those choices simply add flavor to your character in order to keep you from being the same as everyone else.

Think of it like being a Chef. If you cook a steak, and I cook a steak, we're not going to have the exact same outcome. Maybe you're from Italy, while I'm from America. That alone will make our styles different, even though we're both Chefs (our Archtype), and we're cooking the same meal (using the same ability).

In Ashes, there are multiple ways to flavour our Character.

1. Race/Sub-Race selection.

If we're both Fighters, and we're both using the Charge ability, in most other MMOs it would look and act the same. However, in Ashes we get to move away from that simplistic design. If you're an Orc, for example, maybe you cause a bit more damage when you hit the opponent, whereas I, as an Elf, am more fleet of foot causing me to charge across the field faster while not doing as much damage as the Orc.

We're the same Archtype, using the same Ability, but our Race allows us to slightly modify that Ability to allow for different playstyles.

2. Religion.

Ok, right now we have absolutely no idea how Religion is going to modify things in the game. We simply know a Religion system is in place, and it will allow us to further flavour our Characters. Expect it to work just like Race-- it doesn't give us any NEW abilities, it will simply allow us to flavor the ones our Archtype comes with.

3. "Class" selection.

Here's where the semantics are driving people crazy. At some point in your Character's development, it will get to choose again from the 8 Archtypes in order to create a combination we define as our Class. The thing to keep in mind is this: You Are Not Adding A Second Archtype To Your Character. You're simply choosing another flavour for your abilities based on the playstyle you plan to implement. And yes, you can choose the same Archtype to become a Fighter/Fighter, for example.

Just as a Human Fighter and a Dwarf Fighter are both the Fighter Archtype, a Fighter/Cleric and Fighter/Ranger are different Classes, yet also JUST Fighter Archtypes. Choosing an augment Archtype is about selecting a style of play and not about opening up your character to another Archtype's abilities.

The exact example we've been given is:
A Fighter/Fighter using the Charge ability will run across the field and whack an opponent.
A Fighter/Mage will teleport across the field to an opponent and then whack it.

As you can see, neither the Archtype or Ability has changed from its basic function: you're still closing the gap between yourself and an opponent, and finishing with an attack. The manner in which you do so, and perhaps a secondary effect, has simply been modified to give your Character a unique twist.

The bottom line is this:

A Fighter/Cleric and a Cleric/Fighter are completely different Archtypes--one being a Fighter, and the other a Cleric--with completely different sets of Abilities.

Whereas a Fighter/Cleric and a Fighter/Ranger are the exact same Archtype, with the exact same Abilities, only with very different playstyles, or flavour, applied to those Abilities.

Always keep in mind that Archtype refers to the first Role you choose for your character, and Class refers to the second Role you select. It has also been stated that while you may not change your starting Role, they may allow us to switch our secondary Role--and thus our "Class"--at some point during gameplay.

And with that, I hope you have a better understanding of how the Class system for Ashes of Creation works. :)

Comments

• Options
    Hope this helps someone, its a fairly good explanation. You might wanna change the headers to something else, it quite hard to read :)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Done.
  • Options
    Sounds good rabbit :)
  • Options
    Thanks.  :)
  • Options
    good piece
    still many people assume that the second archetype gives them new skills/skills of the second archetype. But that's not the case. if someone chooses the cleric as a second archetype they will get no healing skills. they may augment their primary archetypes skills so they may heal the player, But don't expect a Tank/Cleric to tank and heal the group
  • Options
    Enrif said:
    good piece
    still many people assume that the second archetype gives them new skills/skills of the second archetype. But that's not the case. if someone chooses the cleric as a second archetype they will get no healing skills. they may augment their primary archetypes skills so they may heal the player, But don't expect a Tank/Cleric to tank and heal the group
    Yep, covered that misconception. It's why I wrote it... people were getting confused about ability augments.
  • Options
    Enrif said:
    good piece
    Yep, covered that misconception. It's why I wrote it... people were getting confused about ability augments.

I think Enrif's point wasn't clear in the OP.  I'd expect a Tank choosing a cleric to open up some form of healing, even if it was just self-heals. 

The way I read the initial post said you would just change the graphical effect or functionality of an ability, but you wouldn't up new families of ability.  For example, a fighter augmenting mage would replace charge with blink, versus adding fireballs ability (a new family). 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    That is correct. If you choose to be a Tank, then you're a Tank. Period.
    Choosing "Cleric" as your secondary does NOT give you Cleric abilities. It simply puts a Cleric spin on the ones you have.

For example, let's take that Charge ability. Perhaps instead of only doing DPS when you charge forward and hit the target, you also set off a small heal on any friends in a small AOE around the point of impact. That means, you don't have a "Heal" spell like a Cleric gets, you just add a bit of Cleric flavor to YOUR ability: Charge.
  • Options
    I see.  Adding the cleric secondary class to tank would potentially augment your shield block ability to also trigger a HOT on yourself.
  • Options
    Thanks for that post Rabbit. I was among hose who were confused about the secondary class. I thought I'd get more abilities, but from what you explained and remembering what I saw on streams, I think you're probably right.

Maybe a fighter/cleric would add healing over time to a specific fighter skill, but not give you a new healing spell to use. That sounds about it, right?

One question though, is the first point you made, about races making your character that more unique, confirmed? Would it be a system similar to games with passive abilities to each race? Maybe also active abilities?
  • Options
    We don't know the exact details. Only that Steven said your Race choice would influence your abilities.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Yea, from what i understand from what steven said, it seems it will be some kind of passive skill, making some of your abilities behave a little different than the same ability but from other race.
    Just like rabbit described.
    Making some races better on a class than other races.
  • Options
    good job man..many people are confused about this!  ;);)

• Options
    @ OP what QnA or post are you basing your information on? As far as i know what your saying is speculation. So please link a refrence
  • Options
    Diamond said:
    @ OP what QnA or post are you basing your information on? As far as i know what your saying is speculation. So please link a refrence
    It's been described by Steven during a number of livecasts. 
  • Options
    Diamond said:
    It's been described by Steven during a number of livecasts. 

Yep!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Youtube link to Steven sharing about primary and secondary archetypes.
    >>>> https://youtu.be/tqsybteR44Q?t=19m15s <<<<
  • Options
    Nice summary :)
  • Options
    Thanks.
    I'd have said that sooner, but I've been on vacation for a couple of weeks.  :)
  • Options

Ashes of Creation Class System

There seems to be a great deal of confusion regarding the Class System in Ashes of Creation; I'm going to break it down in a way I hope everyone can 

Why did I not see this before?? This is great @Rabbit_Games! Thanks for taking the time to state this so clearly.
  • Options
    We don't know the exact details. Only that Steven said your Race choice would influence your abilities.
    Yeah, I hadn't seen this either. Thanks for taking the time @Rabbit_Games - if only we had sticky on these forums. :)
  • Options
    No problem. I like breaking things down for the lowest common denominator... like myself.
  • Options
    Bumpity for new folks trying to figure it out.  :)
  • Options

Thanks Rabbit, helped a whole lot.
    Cheers
  • Options

Thanks Rabbit, helped a whole lot.
    Cheers
  • Options
    @Rabbit_Games thanks for keeping it simple.  Just starting to delve into the forums and this helps stay on the narrow path of righteousness!  Something to think about as I read further.
  • Options
    OK, so as I read more and realize the intense enthusiasm for the multi class, I am hoping more people read this clarification.  I am not sure how much "flavor" one is going to get from the additional class inside the archetype so we will have to wait and see.  I would like to think more down the lines of a literal multi class myself.  In simple old school terms, something like the second class begins 4 or 5 levels behind the main;  and rather than just some flavor moves or augments, some sort of useful talents or skills.  An old D&D fighter/mage for example does have the ability to cast spells, just not as well, as soon, as efficiently, or with as wide selection as a straight mage.  I guess I am just hoping for something a little more than some flavor and flair from my second class. 
  • Options
    It was clarified by Steven that your secondary Class does NOT open up skill lines from your main Class. So unlike D&D where a Fighter could cross-class into mage and eventually cast Fireball, in Ashes your Fighter might set his sword on fire, but he'll never cast the Mage's fireball.
  • Options
    Thank you Rabbit!  I was looking for a post which broke down how the class system worked, and you make is simple to understand :)  I am looking forward to seeing how it works out in the end as I am a healer at heart and look forward to seeing how AoC makes it different with the secondary Archetypes :)

• Options
    [...]

Always keep in mind that Archtype refers to the first Role you choose for your character, and Class refers to the second Role you select.

[...]

@Rabbit_Games I think this part of your description might be misleading. I'd suggest a slight modification, taking into account the statement on the Kickstarter page:
    At some point during your adventuring, you’ll be able to augment your primary class with a secondary class, chosen again from the eight archetypes. Do you want your fighter to channel the elemental energies of a mage? Or would you rather your rogue be able to summon a helping hand? Maybe your ranger wants to supplement his healing abilities, or perhaps your bard wants to off-tank? You further specialize your character by choosing this secondary class, augmenting and changing what your core class can do.
    I think the term "role" describes the role your combination offers you to play. A ranger-cleric and a ranger-ranger perform two different roles. Neither the primary nor the secondary archetype refer solely to a "role".

Except this part, I like your summary! :)