Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Procedural Generation

How much will procedural generation factor in Ashes of Creation (Nodes, layout of world, etc)?

Comments

• Options
    Good question, I'm not sure if that's been covered but that feels more like a livestream question for dev
  • Options
    The general world is static, but the way it develops is semi procedural. Meaning you will have a basic map, but different things develop, are found, terraformed etc. Making a proceduraly generated MMO would be really hard, so semi is the closest we come right now :)
  • Options
    I've got to be honest, I do prefer a permanent city that can be called 'home', but I know that they tend to be the only places where people can be found in large numbers, and that this is one way to spread a population around. I'm also a little wary of procedural generation after the No Man's Sky debacle.
  • Options
    The base geography is static, I suppose.
    The base settlement layouts are curated by the devs rather than procedurally generated.

I can't find anything wrong with the NMS procedural generation - especially landscapes.
    Continues to leave me awestruck.